Best Fims that were written by the Directors

Tools    

The best is City Lights, but also by charles chaplin that was good is The Kid
Personally I really love The Man From Nowhere

And my favorite contemporary film maker that writes/directs his own stuff, chris mcquarrie
Way of the Gun, Jack Reacher

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Not that directing isn't enough, but most of the hard work is writing a great novel. Writing something with a blank sheet of paper, so to do both should be factored in, or at least appreciated. I was trying to find a list of all the great films... If anyone has made their own, or knows quite a few off the top of their heads, it would be great to look through.

Richard Brooks is a great example of a writer turned director. He wrote the great screenplay of "Crossfire" which Dmytryk directed, and then "Key Largo" that Huston did... Even the novels he turned into movies "In Cold Blood" was great.

I'm too tired to look it up, but didn't Bergman write "Wild Strawberries and "The Seventh Seal?" -- favorites of mine.

How was Woody Allen not the first person mentioned on this thread?

Crimes and Misdeamonors

Manhattan

Hannah and her Sisters

The Purple Rose of Cairo

Deconstructing Harry

Radio Days

Midnight in Paris

Blue Jasmine

Manhattan Murder Mystery

I've been up since 3:30 am, my brain isn't working correctly... Manhattan is a great film.

He didn't write Annie Hall?
I'm one of the few people on the planet who doesn't think Annie Hall is his best wqrk...feel free to read my review of the film on my review thread.

I'm one of the few people on the planet who doesn't think Annie Hall is his best wqrk...feel free to read my review of the film on my review thread.

Then I'll add Annie Hall as a great example for this topic

Edit: also Midnight in Paris.

I really liked the "subtitles" when they were talking to each other.. Loved it! I love how it's translated, because many people talk like that... I don't think Woody is condescending (at first) when he recommends her educating herself, and love the portrayal when he isn't happy when she's reading William F. Buckley. I like how truths are shown, and how completely changes his tone when he finds out she's been seeing her professor.

Really liked "Clerks" and really good writing from what I remember from Kevin Smith.

I gotta watch Mulholland Drive again one day. I don't remember a thing about it.

How was Woody Allen not the first person mentioned on this thread?
Because he sucks! I'm not a fan of him personally or professionally.
How you could possibly put him before charlie chaplin is baffling but there is no accounting for taste.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
• A large portion of Ingmar Bergman's filmography.
• Billy Bob Thornton's masterful Sling Blade, which is a wonderful slice of Southern Gothic storytelling, and an impeccably crafted work, particularly on a technical level.
• Abbas Kiarostami's devastating Close-Up is another one, as is Michod's chilling Animal Kingdom.
• A great deal of the Coen brothers work, namely The Big Lebowski and Fargo.
• Gus Van Sant's Elephant and Gerry.
• Vincent Gallo's personal and real masterwork, Buffalo '66.
• Terrence Malick's Badlands and Days of Heaven.

And many, many others.

Satyajit Ray tops this hands down. Dont think there is any equal to him on this! Almost all of his films were had him writing the screenplay or script.

Four great directors, that still make movies and writes at least most of their stuff:
Quentin Tarantino
Guy Ritchie
Kevin Smith
Christopher Nolan

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I agree with Her and Sling Blade (I love Southern Gothic) but Charlie Kaufman is the best example I can think of with Synecdoche, New York.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Most arthouse directors also write their screenplays (or don't write screenplays at all).
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.