The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Wolf Children is one of those I was meant to watch before the countdown, but couldn't manage to

Very happy to see these last 2 make it; Rudolph because it nearly made my list, and Wolf Children because it was one of about 5 that I ran out of time to watch.

Personally I think Rudolph is crap, but it's a huge part of many people's childhoods. I've heard nothing but raves about Wolf Children, though I've not seen it and probably won't ever watch it.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Wolf Children only got 71rst place? Boo! I had it at #11 and thought it would at least make the top 50.

Personally I think Rudolph is crap, but it's a huge part of many people's childhoods. I've heard nothing but raves about Wolf Children, though I've not seen it and probably won't ever watch it.
Unless you just don't like anime in general you should really give Wolf Children a shot. It's a really wonderful family movie; nothing like the Madoka series or anything that would turn off more casual anime fans.

Unless you just don't like anime in general you should really give Wolf Children a shot. It's a really wonderful family movie; nothing like the Madoka series or anything that would turn off more casual anime fans.
The premise of the film is what turns me off, not the fact that it's anime.

I haven't seen Wolf Children yet (I definitely will, though), but my favorite Youtube Channel, Every Frame a Painting, made a short analysis of the film's use of the lateral tracking shot:

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer was #21 on my list. It's one of several animated Christmas specials that I considered for my list, and one of the few that made my final list.

Does anyone else think it's ironic that Rudolph showed up on the first night of Hanukkah?

Dammit. Seeing todays pair has reminded me of something I should've voted for.

It wouldn't have made the list, but I should've remembered it.

The premise of the film is what turns me off, not the fact that it's anime.
Very understandable, but trust me the premise is not what carries this film. The human emotions, the heartwarming themes and focus on family is so strong and well done. And it's absolutely stunning to look at visually. It took me 2 minutes to accept the premise I think, and I love how the movie doesn't try to make it something big. It's basically introduced in the first couple of minutes and in a way that makes it feel like "that's just how it is" and then the movie has moved on to so much more...

Anyways, about "Wolf Children" in relation to the list, so sad to see it this low. But again, not many has heard of it or seen it and not many are willing to give it a try either because of the premise or the fact that it's new and hasn't got much of a following (yet).

But I defiantly recommend it to pretty much anybody. Great film

Lord High Filmquisitor
I rewatched Rudolph last week and, despite watching it every year, was surprised how poorly it held up and how ultimately... average (at best) it really was. The narrative is endearing, the voice acting well-enough and the songs a mixed bag that averages out to kind-of / sort-of decent. It's a seasonal classic, to be sure, but I don't feel it ever branches out beyond being purely kairotic entertainment.

Personally I think Rudolph is crap
I don't know about "crap" but it's never really done anything for me. I could like it if I saw it again. My favorite was the Frosty the Snowman cartoon.

Nostalgia ruins everything.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Welcome to the human race...
I voted for Heavy Metal at #24 (it was originally at #25 until one of my higher picks proved ineligible). I am honestly very surprised it made it on here at all, let alone at #74.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I watched Rudolph last year and thought it was a bit rubbish. Haven't seen Wolf Children but have heard good things about it.

I watched Anastasia yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised. Wouldn't have made my list but not at all as bad as I thought it might be.