The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Lord High Filmquisitor
The Wind Rises is a very recent film so maybe that's the case? Personally I never got around to TWR for that reason.
Fair point. And at any rate, I shouldn't complain, seeing as how I only put The Wind Rises at #25.

Didn't see Lilo and Stitch.
You should give it a shot sometime. It's not your typical Disney fare. As Mark said, it's got a wicked sense of humor. It's also not a musical so there's no obnoxious songs to worry about.

I haven't seen Ponyo but of all the Ghibli fare I've not yet watched, it looks the least interesting.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Two more Asian movies today, I see.
What would you consider an American animated movie?

Master of My Domain
Ponyo was No. 21 on my list. Creative animation and story with a friendly attitude topped with cuteness overload! How can you not like this film?

Such a long time since I watched Lilo & Stitch! Used to watch the series as well so I kind of mix it all up and it's hard to distinguish the two from each other...
It's the same thing with me. That's why I don't considered it a film that I actually truly watched yet.

Ponyo is a sweet film. I've only seen it once, so I can't truly say that I completely delved into this film yet, but the one thing that didn't fully work for me, was the contrast between the more intimate and small-scale atmosphere of practically the whole film and the bombastic finale (with that giant, fantastical, goddess-like creature). It's magical, but at the same time it seems too much of a leap (even with all the weird stuff that's going on before that moment).
Besides that, it's still a very enjoyable Miyazaki film, but I don't count it as one of my personal favorites of his.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Ponyo is a sweet film. I've only seen it once, so I can't truly say that I completely delved into this film yet, but the one thing that didn't fully work for me, was the contrast between the more intimate and small-scale atmosphere of practically the whole film and the bombastic finale (with that giant, fantastical, goddess-like creature). It's magical, but at the same time it seems too much of a leap (even with all the weird stuff that's going on before that moment).
Besides that, it's still a very enjoyable Miyazaki film, but I don't count it as one of my personal favorites of his.
That bugged me a bit too. For me, that the relationship between Ponyo and Sosuke was enough to drive the film and the whole global flood plot seemed more than a little forced; kind of like trying to splice 2012 and The Princess Bride together. It's a nice little movie but it's definitely not Miyzaki's best either.

Ponyo is an other one from my list, not the best Miyazaki, but still a fantastic movie.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I have seem Ponyo. It was a pretty solid film from Miyazaki, but 78% of all Japanese anime fans seem to prefer PMMM and also Utena. They are simply more comprehensive and 89% of ignorant Americans wouldn't seem to get it. It has been a while since I seem it.

In reality though, I did enjoy Ponyo. This has me thinking that Miyazaki has a outside chance at a clean sweep of all his films making it.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Lilo & Stitch didn't make my final list, but it is one I considered and I'm glad other people voted for it. Stitch is extremely cute and the movie is sweet and funny.

I haven't paid too much attention to this countdown until now. Nothing I've voted for has made the cut yet, but one of the one pointers is mine, and two that just barely missed the list.

But first....

The One Point List

These films each received only one point. This means that they each got only one vote and that one vote was for #25. Some of these are sort of afterthoughts, tacked on in order to fill out the ballot and others were deliberately put at that position in the hopes of getting them on this list and giving them some recognition in the countdown.

Aschenputtel (Cinderella) (Short)
(Lotte Reiniger, 1922) IMDb / YouTube
Lotte Reiniger's Cinderella was mine. It's just really beautiful, like basically everything she made; it's also clever, and the beginning when the silhouette's getting cut just really hits me. I just really love this particular modern score as well.

If I'm being honest, I was very conscious of putting it at #25 so that I could give it a shoutout when the 1 pointers were listed and hopefully some more people would watch it.

The Top Ten Near Misses
Ten Films That Missed The Cut

Vincent (Short)
(Tim Burton, 1982) IMDb / YouTube
51 points

Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed (The Adventures Of Prince Achmed)
(Lotte Reiniger, 1926) IMDb
50 points

I know this list is going to break some hearts.
I love these two so much. They were both in my top ten, I think. I've watched Vincent so many times, since I was a kid, I have the voiceover completely memorized, just through osmosis. And like I said for Cinderella, The Adventures of Prince Achmed is really beautiful. It just has so many indelible, crazy good, detailed images.