Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Let me ask something. Is it only a movie supposed to be here as a discussion subject?
Is it only a movie supposed to be here as a discussion subject? Is movies the only subject which is supposed to be discussed here? How about any show? The Dexter show is the greatest show around the world. I like it. I have been watching it not so long. Thanks

The Skeleton Twins (2014)

Started out rather poorly but then about halfway through it sort of struggled itself out of plain mediocracy and semi-succesfully resurfaced towards the end.

So is it a flawless movie? Not even remotely... But somehow there was charm and smiles to find in this rather heavyhanded and sort of depressing suicide drama. Jokes felt rather flat and drama wasn't perfect but there was enough to love for me to enjoy it. Great acting also from two surprising casting choices in the title role duo.

-

Back to the Future -

I honestly thought it was stupid, tame and way too obvious. I know it's universally loved and I didn't find it boring or anything, but it just really felt very flat to me, and way too ham-fisted. It didn't help that the effects have dated poorly either. Maybe I'd have loved this as a child, but now I just found it juvenile and lacking in the thrills department.

Back to the Future -

I honestly thought it was stupid, tame and way too obvious. I know it's universally loved and I didn't find it boring or anything, but it just really felt very flat to me, and way too ham-fisted. It didn't help that the effects have dated poorly either. Maybe I'd have loved this as a child, but now I just found it juvenile and lacking in the thrills department.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Back to the Future -

When just one gif can't aptly sum up your confusion and horror -

JayDee, you're wrong. This:

Is the only GIF you needed.

It perfectly captured what you were feeling.

I know you guys are being facetious, but I was only giving my honest opinion. Surely that's better than pretending to like it? I don't understand why it holds the reputation it does.

Apart from the flaws in narrative, dialogue, acting, pacing etc. there was one scene that irked me.

When Marty's mum almost gets raped by Biff, and George stops him, she gets up and everything is A okay again. I realise it's a comedy/kids movie but the light treatment of such a heinous act kind of got to me.

And I'm also generally not a fan of cheesy, feel good movies. I love it when a film puts a smile on my face through natural, authentic means, but this kind of manipulative and forced warmth doesn't appeal to me.

Everything felt too obvious as well. Like I said, I wasn't bored, but I was never excited. I've heard this is one of the most entertaining movies ever made, but it just felt so inconsequential. When the credits hit, I was severely underwhelmed.

Instead of responding with faux horror, could people perhaps explain what they love about this film so much?

Apart from the flaws in narrative, dialogue, acting, pacing etc. there was one scene that irked me.

When Marty's mum almost gets raped by Biff, and George stops him, she gets up and everything is A okay again. I realise it's a comedy/kids movie but the light treatment of such a heinous act kind of got to me.
Would it have been better then if Back to the Future included scenes where Lea Thompson went to counseling sessions for near-rape victims? I don't know if such a thing was even offered back in the 1950's. Just pretend the older version of her character finally got help in the 1980's or something.

I know you guys are being facetious, but I was only giving my honest opinion. Surely that's better than pretending to like it?

Instead of responding with faux horror, could people perhaps explain what they love about this film so much?
Yes it's MUCH better for a person to be honest in their review, than to pander to the crowd. So kudos on that.

Why do I love Back to The Future? Nostalgia...And because it works for what it was intended to do. It's not suppose to be a slice of life realism. And they didn't have CG back then.

It's your call if you like it or not, but personally I think it should be compared to similar films from the era.

2 Guns - 8/10

Great movie, the bro-mance between Mark Wahlburg and Denzel Washington was top notch; while the plot ended up getting a little convoluted, the witty banter from the characters really made it easy to overlook this and enjoy the movie

Solaris (1972)

I had the extremely rare opportunity (especially in Belgium) to watch this film on the big silver screen tonight. It was, WITHOUT A DOUBT, the best experience I ever had inside a theater.

This film is simply a philosophical masterwork. It metaphorizes the struggle mankind has with the supernatural, the incomprehensible, the unknown and the possibility of "more" in an astonishing manner. The last three scenes (the last dialogue in the station, the seemingly positive and hopeful ending and then the SHOCKING last revelation) were so extremely meaningful to me that it felt like my brain was becoming larger. That's how enrichened I felt. Every part of the film just fitted in the deeply existential context this film represents.

I'll definitely write a review about this film in the future with my broad analysis and interpretation of everything that happens in it, but as for now, I just want to let it sink in a little and make it grow even more in my mind. There are probably several other interesting perspectives of this film, besides mine, that are worth thinking about and that I should consider, so I want to discover those too before claiming to fully understand every aspect of this genius piece of cinema. The connection with the meaning I imposed on this story is so great, though, that I can't help but consider this film already as one of my absolute favorite films of all time (and I just finished it about an hour and a half ago!). This is definitely a treasure that I'll revisit many times.

+++

Very cool that you could watch Solaris on the big screen. I can tell that you were moved by the film, so was I.

Was that the first time you had watched it? If not did your opinion of it change after the second viewing? I think it's a film that needs to be watched more that once.

Yes it's MUCH better for a person to be honest in their review, than to pander to the crowd. So kudos on that.

Why do I love Back to The Future? Nostalgia...And because it works for what it was intended to do. It's not suppose to be a slice of life realism. And they didn't have CG back then.

It's your call if you like it or not, but personally I think it should be compared to similar films from the era.
I wasn't expecting a realistic movie, I expected out and out entertainment, which in my opinion it didn't provide.

Yeah, nostalgia seems to be a big reasoning in many people's love for this film (and others of the same mould). To be fair, I consider the 80s to be my least favourite decade for film, and I'm not a fan of quite a few blockbusters of the era. The over the top, cheesy style just isn't for me I guess.

That's not necessarily an excuse, regarding the effects. Blade Runner still looks absolutely stunning to this day, and that was made 3 years earlier than Back to the Future.

SoHo, I strongly support anyone's choice to like/dislike any type/style of film. That's what makes us individuals.

I see what you're saying, that Back To the Future seems hokey or cheesy, especially compared to Blade Runner, which was made in the same era. But still that's not a fair comparison as IMO the directors had vastly different movies in mind.

Very cool that you could watch Solaris on the big screen. I can tell that you were moved by the film, so was I.

Was that the first time you had watched it? If not did your opinion of it change after the second viewing? I think it's a film that needs to be watched more that once.
It was my first viewing of it and I definitely agree that this film has to be watched way more than once. My interpretation of it was constantly changing throughout the duration of the movie (which is kind of the effect Tarkovsky was going for towards first time viewers, I think, as it is in line with what the the main character is experiencing), but the ending (as I said, the last three scenes) made everything so crystal clear and mindblowingly brilliant for me that I could hardly stop talking about what I went through to my friend who had accompanied me.

I did watch Soderbergh's interpretation of the novel (starring Clooney) already, though, but I think, besides a few superficially similar events that occur in both films, that it has pretty much almost nothing in common content-wise with Tarkovsky's version of it. Soderbergh's focused on other interesting aspects of the story, while Tarkovsky had a much more ambitious and philosophically widely reaching vision. I like both films, but the Russian masterpiece I just witnessed is definitely a much grander achievement and experience.