Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Alyce Kills (2011)

This was on my watchlist for a reason, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. It reminded me of a modern day Repulsion, except more kinky and violent. Actually, it turns out to be a pretty sick movie after starting a bit slow. The last half hour is pretty nuts, but it's played nicely, preventing it from getting ridiculous. It's well made with good performances. I think I'd recommend it to the likes of MovieGal, Minio, Swan, Godoggo, Samoan Lawyer, Jiraffe, and maybe Captain.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Double Indemnity (1944)

Great film noir! I loved the use of narration and soundtrack! Every bit of tension is built perfectly and the final is amazing! MacMurray delivers an awesome perfomance and all the dialogues are so well written! It's not as great as Sunset Blvd. but it's still memorable!

8/10

Not currently on fire...
Savate (1995) - Olivier Gruner kicks a cliché heavy Western into a highly enjoyable DTV actioner. Thick in Sergio Leone atmosphere, although never over-done, I really enjoyed this.

Guardians of the Galaxy

There has been a few comments on this so I will be brief, I think this is one of Marvels great movies along with Winter Solider in recent times. All the characters are likable and I think they got casting spot on for Star Lord, I was angry at first for the casting of Bradley Cooper as Rocket but I think he did a good job. The story was a bit plain but good enough for an opening movie, I am not too familiar with Guardians comic story's but I assume because they made the movie they were interesting enough. Overall a really liked this movie and I hope the sequels keep it interesting.

4/5 Stars

Dumplings (2004)

My first thought was that this was to belong in one of those obscure and nasty categories where gory and disgusting movies with no plot of importance are held. But appearently that wasn't quite how things went, thankfully...

Dumplings lays its plot and idea on the table (litterally) from the get go, and there's no mercy. The first 30 minutes I was entertained, but it still felt kind of like it was leaning towards previously mentioned category. I mean, I know what it wanted to do, I just felt like it didn't go deep enough. But then suddenly a change of pace happened and this pretty unknown film ended up being a truly interesting view on beauty, abortion, the society of china and more! I'm fine with nasty stuff but I want it to make sense and I want it to have a purpose - and this time it did.

What a hidden gem this was. Wouldn't recommend it to many people, but well, at least it would be an experience hah.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Guest

What a surprise this was. A young man arrives at a house, he claims to be a soldier and a friend of their dead son. He's come to pay his respects. They welcome him in with open arms and insists he stays with them. Now people start turning up dead. Is this handsome, polite young man behind it all?

From Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett, the duo behind You're Next, The Guest is a surprising throwback to 80's cinema. Dan Stevens is the lead here and he plays David with just the right amount of charm and sinister smirks.

The soundtrack is a standout and further completes the 80's style like a cherry on top.

Suspect's Reviews

The Guest does not look like my kind of movie but I have yet to hear a negative word about it. I will check it out soon.

The Seventh Seal (1957)

The Bergman film I've been waiting to see and it was worth the wait. All descriptions that I've ever seen tell of a Knight, Antonius Block (Max von Sydow) returning from the Crusades who meets Death incarnate and engages him in a game of chess. Well, that is what happens, but a lot happens in-between. Lots of great characters, especially Gunnar Björnstrand as Jöns, Block's squire, who almost shares equal screen time with Sydow. Block wants answers from Death about everything, having lost faith after seeing so much waste of human life during the Crusades. How things turn out I won't say, but this was a great film, loaded with interesting characters.

A Night at the Opera (1935)

One of the funniest Marx Brothers movies, ever. I put it on equal footing with Duck Soup (1933) in the laugh department. This is the movie that features the famous "crowded ship's stateroom" sequence, and the almost-equally famous contract negotiation between Groucho and Chico. But there's more. There are more hi-jinks on the ship, plus Harpo playing his harp and Chico his piano, all for the delight of a group of children. Another great sequence with the boys in an apartment, moving the furniture out of room into another to the consternation of a policeman who thinks he's losing his mind. Then the final third of the film, set at the opera, naturally. I can't even describe everything that goes on here. If you're bored hearing the two romantic leads sing opera, don't worry, the Marx Brothers are cutting up the whole time. This is a classic comedy and a must-own on DVD.

Shampoo (1975)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Whiteout (2009) - 5/10
Re-watched purely because it has Becks in it. Sadly I'd forgotten how mediocre the actual film is.

Unregistered User
Alyce Kills (2011)

This was on my watchlist for a reason, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. It reminded me of a modern day Repulsion, except more kinky and violent. Actually, it turns out to be a pretty sick movie after starting a bit slow. The last half hour is pretty nuts, but it's played nicely, preventing it from getting ridiculous. It's well made with good performances. I think I'd recommend it to the likes of MovieGal, Minio, Swan, Godoggo, Samoan Lawyer, Jiraffe, and maybe Captain.

Added to the watchlist, cheers Cricket

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Inbetweeners 2

A Million ways to die in the west

Colombiana

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Alyce Kills (2011)

Ive been meaning to watch this for some time but havent gotten round to it but following your review I will definitely get watching it soon

Leviathan (2012)

- I just didn't get it.
I dont know what there is to "get"? I find it really interesting, taking Cinéma vérité to its extreme. Albeit its a long time since i have seen that one, i like the radical documentaries which they have produced in recent years for instance Sweet Grass, Manakamana and The Iron Ministry. For me Leviathan was a visceral experience, nearly hallucinatory, of the life of a trawler in the north Atlantic.

Unregistered User
Not watched any others that you mentioned but i just didn't enjoy Leviathan at all. I understand having a hallucinatory experience from it but aside from that i found it boring. I'm glad you found it interesting but it's really not something i could ever imagine myself enjoying. Just not to my taste unfortunately.

Dr. No (1962)

First 007 movie and a good one! It feels like everyone, director and actors, are still looking for the right way to shoot Ian Fleming's amazing book. Sean Connery is without a doubt the best 007 ever and here he was still learning! I think that in Goldfinger he achieves the best of the entire series, at least counting those I've seen so far!

6/10

Navajo Joe (1966)

A good spaghetti western! Not as great as great as Lione or even some of other Corbucci's flicks, but still entertaining, always with some doses of morality and social critic! Some plot issues here and there and some really artificial acting by almost everyone involved! It's also the source for A LOT of scenes that Tarantino uses on Kill Bill, Basterds and Django!

Btw, to any spaghetti-western expert (cough cough, Mr. Minio, cough cough), is it me or the Bank in this movie is exactly the same as the one in For a Few Dollars More?

6/10