Post movies that offended you

Tools    

This question has continued to nag at me, and if there is one movie that came close to offending me, it was Spike Lee's Bamboozled. And as Citizen Rules has a problem with cruelty toward animals in films, I've always been uncomfortable with films that put babies or small children in danger, something that came glaringly to light for me after watching Ghostbusters II.

This question has continued to nag at me, and if there is one movie that came close to offending me, it was Spike Lee's Bamboozled. And as Citizen Rules has a problem with cruelty toward animals in films, I've always been uncomfortable with films that put babies or small children in danger, something that came glaringly to light for me after watching Ghostbusters II.
Yeah you and I have had that discussion a few times after I reviewed it.

Yeah you and I have had that discussion a few times after I reviewed it.
Yeah, it was your review of Bamboozled that made me think of it...probably the closest a film has ever come to offending me.

Yeah, it was your review of Bamboozled that made me think of it...probably the closest a film has ever come to offending me.
It confused the heck out of me, but yeah it came pretty close to offending me too.

I've always been uncomfortable with films that put babies or small children in danger, something that came glaringly to light for me after watching Ghostbusters II.
Might make you uncomfortable, but I don't see why it shouldn't be done. Babies can end up in danger, too. As long as they're not in any real danger while the movie is being filmed, I think it's okay.

OK, let's read the reasons first.

I thought it was one of the most effective and morally confrontational rape scenes I've ever seen in a film. It exposes De Niro's wrong way of thinking (because of the environment he was brought up in and lived in for his whole life), his "gangster mind". The scene is filmed in such a way that it is shocking to the audience, which is exactly what it should be. So, I personally don't really see how this scene could've rubbed you the wrong way. Maybe it was because you felt that you should sympathize with De Niro's character because he's the protagonist, but that only contributed to the shock of the action, in my opinion.

She's shown in a sensual and seductive way in the context of a young infatuation. I happen to hink her scenes are beautiful and very innocent. There's of course that one scene where we see her character's backside naked, but that was a body double (if that makes you feel any better about it) and the scene is nevertheless very tastefully and gallantly done, in my opinion.

Oh come on. It's a baby. Is the cover for Nirvana's Nevermind also a pedophile's dream then?

I can understand however if you found the film to be a mess stucturally. If the way the story is told doesn't fit you, that's subjective.

It was one of the greatest film experiences I ever had, though (as you can see in my top 10) and that's why I felt like I should defend it a little here.
All fair points, and I can't make a great case for the movie being offensive, especially when I watch a lot of sick movies. I just know that's how I felt, and after reading up a little bit on the movie, I'm not the only one.

I haven't even seen this (or any Jaws movie) - but this ending scene to Jaws 4 offends me by being so stupid it insults the viewers' intelligence - and I'm not easily offended:

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I agree with animal cruelty being offensive. I saw a movie called 2 Guns, I think, it had Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington...I dunno, it could have been really good, but I'll never know. There's a scene early on where some guys are shooting the heads off chickens that are buried up to their necks in dirt, and it made me sick. I mean I know they didn't shoot real chickens, but still. It was callous in a way that made me hate the film.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I agree with animal cruelty being offensive. I saw a movie called 2 Guns, I think, it had Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington...I dunno, it could have been really good, but I'll never know. There's a scene early on where some guys are shooting the heads off chickens that are buried up to their necks in dirt, and it made me sick. I mean I know they didn't shoot real chickens, but still. It was callous in a way that made me hate the film.
That seems way too PC-minded for me. I mean killing live animals just for the camera? Sure. But a chicken? Most people eat chicken on an annual basis - not to mention the idea of being more offended at the on-screen death of a chicken than an innocent person

Might make you uncomfortable, but I don't see why it shouldn't be done. Babies can end up in danger, too. As long as they're not in any real danger while the movie is being filmed, I think it's okay.
I didn't say it shouldn't be done, I said it makes me uncomfortable.

Lucy, the Fault in our Stars and Noah are the three most offensive movies I have seen recently.

Indiana Jones and the temple of doom .

My countrymen ( I am an Indian ) were shown to be crude and barbaric savages .

copy/paste

The most disgusting scene of the movie and which made me scream out of indignation was a dinner scene at the Pankot palace of Bhanpur. In this scene, 1st dish to be served was “snake surprise”. A huge boa was served and when its stomach was cut lots of little snakes crawled out and people aka Indians ate that. Then next on menu were beetles whose shells Indians cracked and slurped the insides with the heroine (Kate Capshaw) gaping at them and ready to puke. Are you too feeling gross? Wait, there’s more. Then the heroine asked for soup seeing such food and she was served soup with eyeballs in it. The dessert was a monkey’s head on a cup with head split and Indians eating its brain with spoon just like icecream.
Oh well... tit for tat, i guess! Indian movies dont shy away from ridiculing other cultures. So shouldn't bother you that way!

Lucy, the Fault in our Stars and Noah are the three most offensive movies I have seen recently.
What's offensive about them?

I think a more relatable way to look at the thread is to think of movies you wouldn't want to watch with your parents or on a date. Like Mike Leighs Naked, I wouldn't want to do that.

I think a more relatable way to look at the thread is to think of movies you wouldn't want to watch with your parents or on a date. Like Mike Leighs Naked, I wouldn't want to do that.
Oh I HATED that movie... I agree completely.

Not necessarily. Gangster Squad felt like propaganda to me. That was my problem with it.

What's offensive about them?
Noah.. I can guess. Others I don't!