Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Three Lives of Thomasina (1963)

The Three Lives of Thomasina is a live-action Disney movie about a cat named Thomasina who dies, and comes back to life, and the influence that this cat has on her family.

But this movie isn't really about the cat. The cat is basically just "the glue that holds the people's lives together". This movie is really about the father, his faith in God, and his relationship with his daughter.

This is a nice story, with great performances by Patrick McGoohan as the father, and Susan Hampshire, as the beautiful woman that the local kids think is a witch. The two main children, (who are the same children from the movie Mary Poppins), are also very good. The movie lacks the emotion at the beginning of the story that it probably should have, but it makes up for it as the movie goes on.

It's not the best of the classic Disney live-action movies, but it's a good movie, and if you like these kinds of sappy movies, then it's worth seeing.

Hud (1963)

Paul Newman gives one of his best performances in Hud, and I really liked the story, the various relationships between Hud and everyone around him, the conflict between the father and son, and the ending of the movie, but this movie lost me when
WARNING: "SPOILER!!!" spoilers below
they showed the cattle being killed on screen. I knew it was coming, but there was no reason for actually showing it. I wouldn't say that it ruined the movie for me, but it's a scene that I won't forget for a long time, and not in a good way.

Overall, Hud is a very good movie, and I would recommend it.

I know what you mean; that was an upsetting scene. Glad you liked it, I loved it.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Extended (partly a rewatch)

So, I didn't enjoy the first Hobbit film except for the last 40 minutes or so, which was missing a whole lot of soul and heart but at least I was entertained by the action. Oh, and of course the best scene of that film - the Gollum riddle scene. The second movie was obviously an improvement over the first one, but it still lacked a whole lot and Jackson still had his focus on so much which had nothing to do with the Hobbit.

Now I went for the extended version of the second film, though the extended scenes in the first Hobbit only made it worse. Somehow 'Desolation' was slightly better this time around, and the extended scenes were good. Though, the film was still only better in terms of fun action and pow-blow scenes, basically... The Hobbit-movies are still missing the soul, heart, memorable dialogue, "realism" and originality which the LoTR trilogy had. But this second Hobbit movie is, to some extent, a pretty fun ride. This is all I can give it:

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think I've only felt indifferent towards a Bergman film twice, and that's with Virgin Spring and Winter Light.
Virgin Spring is probably my favorite out of the 5 I've seen

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've had a bad little streak..

Ugestu - 5/10
Mirrors - 4/10
Kanal - 3/10
Ugetsu was a letdown for me, if only because Sansho rocks so I probably had insane expectations. I'd still give it 7/10 though.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Casablanca (1942)

Along with Citizen Kane, this holds an huge responsability: the hype of one of the greatest movies ever!
However, unlike Citizen Kane, this one not only holds up as also completely smashes every expectation I had!
Insanely well written, extremely well performed, with so many layers, so many subliminal messages, so much irony, so much unforgettable moments... The scene where the Marsellaise is sung at the bar is overwhelming! And the soundtrack follows every line of concept of this!

A truly masterpiece!

10/10

Welcome to the human race...
The Perks of Being a Wallflower -

Passable young-adult fare about a high-school misfit who falls in with the alternative crowd and all the highs and lows that entails. Nothing especially remarkable about this film but it does have its moment, I guess.

Gbgoodies, The Three Lives of Thomasina is a favorite from my childhood. Wow, was I in love with Susan Hampshire! To you and cricket, I also love Hud. Awesome movie, and one of Newman's greatest performances.

Latest view:
The Silence (1963)

This is only the fourth Ingmar Bergman film I've seen and so far it's four-for-four as far as I'm concerned. This one is very low-key, concerning two at-odds sisters who are traveling together with one's son. One sister is gravely ill and the other is a woman who seeks sexual comfort from strangers. They are staying in a hotel and the young son seeks escape by prowling its corridors. Finely acted and directed, this film, like its title, find its greatness in the silences. I've been recording these off cable and I'm glad they've been airing them so close together. Next one I'm recording is The Seventh Seal and I've waited years for that one!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Prize (1963)

The Prize is a mystery starring Paul Newman and Edward G. Robinson. Paul Newman plays Andrew Craig, a Nobel Prize winner who suspects that Dr. Max Stratman, another Nobel Prize winner played by Edward G. Robinson, may have been replaced by an imposter. Due to the fact that Andrew Craig (Paul Newman's character) is a heavy drinker and chases women, nobody believes him. He gets into one dangerous situation after another as he tries to prove his theory, and find the real Dr. Stratman.

This is one of my new favorite Paul Newman movies. Throughout the tension created by the mystery he's trying to solve, his character has a great, fun personality, and provides most of the comic relief in the movie.

I highly recommend this movie.

+

The Avengers

5/10

Decent superhero film, with some great performances by Robert Downey Junior and Tom Hiddleston (Loki) which made it worth the watch.

Unfortunately like most superhero films, it ended up being too predictable and containing too much exposition. Not to mention an anti-climactic finale and some plot-holes which hurt the film.

The way Loki is defeated is probably the worst part of the film (he loses his magic staff, and then just "forgets" about it, allowing the Avengers to find it by pure chance) There were other plotholes that bugged me too - such as the Hulk apparently making it from somewhere near Florida all the way to NYC on a motorcyle in less than 24 hours. Or Tony Stark nearly dying after flying through the portal with the nuclear missile (there was no reason for him to enter the portal at all; he could've just let go of the missile and let it fly through on its own; this was a pretty obvious and unnecessary contrivance just to show that his "hero" status wasn't in question).

Overall this is a good casual film with some memorable performances if you just try not to think too hard about it.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 9/10

(There) seems to be more action this time around. It's much more thrilling and is, again, pertinent, necessary action. And the character moments just work better in this installment.

Storm Warning (2007)

I did enjoy this a bit, but I cannot get past the fact that this is a bad movie. It's filmed poorly, the acting is subpar, and it's pretty ridiculous. On the plus side, there's some entertaining foul dialogue, and some extreme gore. I'm astonished that this has an IMDb rating of 5.9; that's pretty good for a violent horror movie, and higher than Hostel or Cabin Fever. I've also read reviews comparing this to Straw Dogs, Deliverance, and Wolf Creek. I just don't get it.

Frank (2014)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Finished here. It's been fun.

Marketa Lazarova
+

A lush, gorgeously realized historical epic which thrives on an extreme sense of atmosphere. It transports you into a bygone time and place like very films can do, and the imagery is both ethereal and majestic. The narrative is a bit difficult to follow, but upon further viewings I feel I can get a stronger sense of what the filmmaker is going for. Overall, an excellent film and It gets a strong recommendation from me. The runtime is daunting(165 minutes), but it is very engrossing. It also has some of the most subtle surrealism I have ever seen in a film, as the film simultaneously weaves a dark, realistic narrative with highly expressionistic, almost religious surrealism.

Billy Liar (1963)

It's likable, charming, easy to watch, and I'm a sucker for anything British, but I just couldn't get into it. It's on the top 100 British films list, so it is well regarded.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Il mercenario a.k.a. Revenge of a Gunfighter (1968)

Some plot and pacing issues but in general is really good! Pallance is not the typical western villain but it has some great moments! The soundtrack is great and the direction too!
There are some really funny moments, some great quotes and Nero is great playing the hero, even if it's a less noble type of hero than Eastwood's.

7/10

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Hannibal (2013) - Season 1

So I decided to finally sit down and watch the first season of Hannibal, which I completed in two days.

At first it was a little slow, took me a couple of episodes to get into it. But towards the end of the season, I was sitting on the edge of my seat during every minute. This show is amazing. Acting, directing, writing and cinematography is as good as it can get. I can't wait to watch season 2, which I'm gonna begin right after I have written this. I will say that I do enjoy watching tv-series, and have been waiting for a new great series. This show is up there as one of the greatest among "Breaking Bad", "True Detective" and "Game of Thrones" which I consider some of the greatest tv-series.

The show is very dark and thrilling, anyone that is looking for a great tv-series to dive into should give this a try. And I've heard that season 2 is even better, I'm so excited!

10/10

The Silence (1963)

Back on track with Bergman after one I was lukewarm about. He is seemingly the master at making a lot out of what would appear to be very little.