Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I think I've only felt indifferent towards a Bergman film twice, and that's with Virgin Spring and Winter Light.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

A Child Is Waiting (1963)

A Child Is Waiting is a heart-wrenching drama starring Judy Garland, Burt Lancaster and the children of a school for mentally disturbed children. It focuses on one boy named Reuben, whose parents brought him there a few years ago, but no longer come by to visit him. He builds a bond with a new teacher at the school, played by Judy Garland.

Excellent acting by everyone, especially both Judy Garland and Bruce Ritchey, the boy who plays Reuben, make this movie very emotional at times, and well worth the watch.

Judy Garland fans should be warned that this is NOT a musical, so don't expect to hear her sing, and "Lost in Space" fans can watch for a small cameo appearance by a young Billy Mumy.

Iron Man 2 - 4/10

The Iron Man movies are some of my favorite super hero flicks mainly due to Robert Downey Jr's memorable performance; however other than his entertaining character this movie was pretty bland.

The villain in particular was weak - he wasn't very memorable or threatening - and his "evil plot" was weak as hell - he just builds a bunch of robots which Iron Man easily destroys like they're made of cardboard. Wow, you'd think seeing as he knew how to design his own Iron Man-class bodysuit, that he'd be actually able to build robots which would stand a chance again Iron Man, right? Very anticlimactic.

Welcome to the human race...
Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil -

Clever enough deconstructive parody of the "killer hillbilly" horror sub-genre with the titular hillbillies planning nothing more than a quiet weekend in their new cabin in the woods but they are mistaken for violent murderers by a group of holidaying college kids who assume they're just like the evil hillbillies from regular horror movies. It helps that it doesn't really try to be scary and instead plays the premise for as much ridiculousness as possible, though it does strain itself a little during its third act.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)

I was about 5-10 minutes into this movie when I realized that I'd seen it before, and this was a re-watch for me. I don't remember when I saw it, but it apparently stuck with me, even if the name of the movie didn't.

This movie is a hysterically funny movie with an all-star cast, and a lot of great cameo appearances. A group of strangers witness a reckless driver crash his car, and they rush to help. Before the driver dies, he tells them about a lot of cash that is hidden somewhere, and the race is on to find the money. This is a fast-paced fun movie that everyone will enjoy. If you're planning to submit a list for the 1963 Movies List, don't submit your list until you see this movie.

Body Heat (1981)

MAGNIFICENT! One of the best film experiences I've had in a long time. I'm extremely excited right now. Film noir doesn't get much better than this.

+

The Graduate (1967)

Wow, I figured that Simpsons' episode was of its own creation but it borrowed entirely from this wonderful film. Love the song choice and Hoffman was fantastic as usual.

Minority Report

Not an awful film but this one was definitely overrated. It wasn't Tom Cruise's most memorable role by a longshot, and it ended up feeling too much like a GCI-fest - and in some cases even felt like a long commercial, with all of the conspicuous branding (Gap, Lexus, and Cops of the future, anyone?)

And in spite of being a long movie, several plot points ended up being under-explained in favor of more eye candy. For example in one scene Tom Cruise escapes the police headquarters with the psychic woman by jumping down a drainage pipe - then the film immediately cuts to them driving away in a car - I'd have rather seen what happened in between (just how he managed to escape a heavily guarded police station and find a getaway car) rather than yet another eye-candy scene of hover cars or futuristic malls.

If they had filled the 2.5 hours with more plot, and a little less GCI, this could've been a lot better.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Once (2006)

Watched this with my gf last night!
It has a very amateur way of filming and acting but, curiously, it works beautifully! Most of songs are great, the characters are highly relatable and the whole movie as a very beautiful atmosphere! Also, the ending is great and runs away from cliches, which is always nice!

8/10

Unregistered User

In the Mouth of Madness (1995)

A new favourite in horror has arrived for me. I rate this as good as any of Carpenter's films that i've watched. This is a seriously underrated psychological horror in my opinion.

Pumping Iron (1977)

The Warriors (1979)

St. Vincent (2014)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
All three are glorious (assuming you mean Tarkovsky's Mirror).
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.

Saw this 2 nights ago-- I give a 7 tears out of 10.

Cusack was great (isn't he always), as were the girls. I understand this is a story of loss, but the writing was a little bit slow and schlumpy for me. I value dramatic craftsmanship to highlight the emotional points. Also, waiting the whole movie for the bomb to drop was just plain cruel.

That being said, it most certainly did get you weepy, covered a subject in a film nobody fully explored before, and was memorable. So overall, great effort in a film and well needed.

Hud (1963)

Paul Newman gives one of his best performances in Hud, and I really liked the story, the various relationships between Hud and everyone around him, the conflict between the father and son, and the ending of the movie, but this movie lost me when
WARNING: "SPOILER!!!" spoilers below
they showed the cattle being killed on screen. I knew it was coming, but there was no reason for actually showing it. I wouldn't say that it ruined the movie for me, but it's a scene that I won't forget for a long time, and not in a good way.

Overall, Hud is a very good movie, and I would recommend it.