Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Everyone forgets Nakadai. Everyone.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The V.I.P.s (1963)

The V.I.P.s is a drama about some very important people who are stuck in airport overnight, which causes problems for them with their personal and financial lives. It has an all-star cast including Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Louis Jourdan, Rod Taylor, Maggie Smith, Orson Welles and Margaret Rutherford.

The film is based on the true story of actress Vivien Leigh's attempt to leave her husband, actor Laurence Olivier, and fly off with her lover, actor Peter Finch, only to be delayed by a fog at Heathrow, so it has some tense scenes involving Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and Louis Jourdan at the heart of the movie.

Orson Welles seemed to be wasted in this movie, as his storyline has much less screen time than most of the other stories, and his story in less interesting than the rest of the stories in the movie, but as usual, he does a great job in the role.

On a lighter note, Rod Taylor surprised me with his Australian accent, (I didn't know that he's Australian). He did a good job in this movie, but I prefer him in his lighter roles, such as the highly underrated Sunday in New York, (also from 1963).

Overall, this is a pretty good movie, probably better than its reviews, but it's only a longshot to make my 1963 Top Movies List.

Lord of the Flies (1963)

This was a re-watch for me because I saw it many years ago in either Jr. high or high school, but even from so many years ago, it left an impression on me that I have never forgotten. I was surprised at how much of Lord of the Flies I remembered after so many years, and it's just as powerful a film as it was so many years ago.

This movie is about a group of young school boys who are stranded on a remote island. It shows how they start out as a civilized group, almost like a society, and how they become a pack of cruel savages.

This is a film that I highly recommend, as it is a very powerful story, and the actors do a great job.

4 for Texas (1963)

I'm not a big fan of westerns, but I like Dean Martin, and 4 for Texas was listed as a "western-comedy", so I decided to give it a chance for the 1963 movies list.

It's a pretty good movie, but it's not great. It has a fun story, and a lot of action, but at times it feels like Dean Martin is making a comedy, but everyone else is trying to make a genuine western. However it does have a short cameo by the Three Stooges that is a highlight of the movie.

It also stars Frank Sinatra, Anita Ekberg, Ursula Andress, Charles Bronson and Victor Buono.

If you like westerns, I'd recommend watching this one, but don't expect too much. It's just a fun story with a great cast.

Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (Remake 2009) - 2.5/5 - Overall ok, very conventional shots with a lot of obvious dramatisation. Simplified compared to original, conforming to 21st century cinema. But good use of sounds and music.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)

I thought there was no way this could beat the first one, but it did and I loved it. I may have even gotten a tad misty-eyed.

It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012)

This is a Hall of Fame nomination so I posted my thoughts in that thread.

So glad you liked it cricket, always kind of a letdown if you recommend something and they end up hating it. :/ but thankfully you liked it! now remember to send in that list!

Make a better place

Jennifer Eight 1992

Long time ago I was watching the trailer on youtube and I accidentally read a comment by a schmuck that gave away the twist, that kept me away from watching the movie, but for some reason I decided to watch it today anyway and luckily this guy gave a wrong twist just to confuse people like me

anyway. it's a great movie and it's weird that I've never heard anyone talking about it before

I really liked Jennifer Eight. It was a bit of a hidden gem in the 90's, as I remember it. I've not seen it in forever, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Horrible Bosses 2

Surprisingly hilarious.

I am a huge fan of the first Horrible Bosses movie, but after seeing all the not so great reviews, I was a little hesitant to see this one. But nonetheless I decided to go see it anyway. I was not disappointed. I laughed pretty much all the way through. There are many jokes that only those who have seen the first movie will understand, but that just makes it all the more fun. Everyone is great in this movie, but Waltz plays a surprisingly flat and boring character, which is strange to give such a boring role to a great actor. Other than that, all the other characters are lively and hilarious. There's some great cameos and I'll say that the first scene is especially hilarious. A few jokes here and there fall flat, but I can safely say that I had a great time at this movie and laughed often, maybe even more than the first movie. There's a few pacing issues I guess and at times it feels like it's striving too hard to be a "thriller comedy" towards the end. But if you like the first movie and want to have a good laugh at the movie theater I highly suggest you go see Horrible Bosses 2.

3.7/5
Fire walk with me.

Housebound (2014)

I admire the change of pace, mood and style throughout though I'm not sure if I enjoy it. To the defense of this film I can say that I very rarely enjoy horror-comedies. Usually they are too silly or not certain of itself. This is more of the latter. Very torn by genres although it all may be on purpose - still, it felt weird to have comedy, horror, thriller and drama all in one like that. Also, it took forever to get going, 40 or maybe even 50 minutes until I was interested at all in this. Mostly the humor didn't click with me either. Some aspects I liked, most I didn't but it was a different watch and I didn't hate it.

Lord of the Flies (1963)

This was a re-watch for me because I saw it many years ago in either Jr. high or high school, but even from so many years ago, it left an impression on me that I have never forgotten. I was surprised at how much of Lord of the Flies I remembered after so many years, and it's just as powerful a film as it was so many years ago.

This movie is about a group of young school boys who are stranded on a remote island. It shows how they start out as a civilized group, almost like a society, and how they become a pack of cruel savages.

This is a film that I highly recommend, as it is a very powerful story, and the actors do a great job.

Is that Minkus on the poster?

Is that Minkus on the poster?

Do you mean the kid from the first season of "Boy Meets World"?

It kind of looks like him, but since the movie is from 1963, and he wasn't born until 1981, it's probably not him.

The Thing From Another World (1951)

Based on the story "Who Goes There?" (which I haven't read), this is the original film version of the story. I've heard it differs from the story, but my interest in this film is because I love the John Carpenter remake, so I wanted to see how good this one was. Turns out it is quite good although not on a par with the remake. Basically the same story, where a scientific/military crew at an arctic station encounter a being from outer space and fight against it. In this film, the creature is out for the crew's blood. The movie slowly builds but gains momentum when the creature is thawed out. The film stars B-movie regular Kenneth Tobey, Western star James Arness as the creature, and Margaret Sheridan, a beautiful actress who had a surprisingly short career. Good stuff but just can't compare to the 1982 version. Sorry for continually comparing the two, but the two often are in film discussions. Just say that this one is a fine 50's sci-fi flick and fun Saturday/Sunday afternoon viewing.

Persona (1966)

My third Ingmar Bergman film and a fine film it is. I need to watch it again because it's almost impossible to describe in short. What I saw is open for discussion by anyone because my theory of what is happening in the film will surely be opposite of another person's. And I think Bergman made the film purposefully to be this way. Suffice to say that the film concerns a famous actress (Liv Ullmann) who suddenly decides to stop talking. Her doctor declares her to be sane and healthy. The doctor assigns a nurse (Bibi Andersson) to care for her at beach-side house and this is where the bulk of the movie takes place. There are many opinions as to who is who, what the reason for Ullmann's silence is, who is the young boy touching the woman's image, what do the symbols at the first and end of the movie mean, why does the film do what it does in the middle, what is the reason for breaking the fourth wall in the movie? A lot of questions, and for me it makes the movie that much more compelling. I look forward to looking around the MOFO stie and seeing what others' take on this film is. Anyway, this may be the best film by Bergman that I've seen so far.

Begin Again (2013)

This is truly one of the best films I've seen this year. Maybe it's because I'm a huge fan of singer-songwriter music, which theis movie has plenty of and in which the songs are amazing (My next step is to buy the soundtrack).

This movie will most likely have you fall in love with Keira Knightley all over again, just like you did when you first saw her in Pirates of the Caribbean. Mark Ruffalo is brilliant as the estranged father to Hailee Steinfeld and recently fired record producer who notices the raw talent of Knightley and becomes intent on recording her album all around New York City.

Moscow on the Hudson (1984)

If you want to experience what Hollywood was mostly up to during the end of the cold war in the mid-80's, then this is one of the movies you'd definitely want to see.

Robin Williams plays a Russian musician who comes to New York with his band for a tour and decides to defect and seek political asylum once he experiences the freedom and extreme American consumerism in the form of a shopping spree at Bloomingdale's.

The film mixes drama with comedy really well. Overall, a very enjoyable film.

Escape Plan (2013)

The rating seems low for how much I enjoyed it because I actually thought it was pretty awesome. If you like Arnold and Sly, definitely check it out. It has a strong supporting cast too.

i saw last latest movie "the hunger games mockingjay part 1" and its super cool movie of the hollywood