Akira Kurosawa's Madadayo

→ in
Tools    

Madadayo ****

I must admit that I am a filthy American pig who has not seen many “foreign” films, not counting British or Australian films, which I’ve seen a larger number. However, after the disappointing influx of crappy American big budget films, I’ve deemed that perhaps I’ve been missing out. Especially when there are so many respected members on this forum who swear by them. Now I’m making a point to watch as many “foreign” films as possible, starting with one of the most respected director’s that ever existed. The reason I chose Madadayo first is because it was the only Kurosawa film available to me at this time.

Madadayo is a film about a professor near the end of WWII who after retiring, finds that all his pupils adore him. Actually, worship might be a better word. Its time frame spans the next two decades of the professors (Tatsuo Matsumura) life after retirement and the dedication of his pupils within his life. Every year they have a birthday celebration in his honor where they ask him in unison, “Mahda-kai? (Are you ready?)”, and after he gulps down a huge glass of beer in one breath answers, “Madadayo!” (Not yet!).”

This is an extremely sentimental film, sometimes to the point of ridiculousness. Not that I’m bashing it, because the movie is actually quite effective of moving me and forcing a grin onto my face. Where it seems to be silly sometimes is whenever the professor speaks, every single member of the class laughs uproariously, and when he loses his cat and becomes extremely depressed, the movie spends close to thirty minutes investing itself to this one particular development. Yet, when the conclusion to that segment comes to a close it is done very sweetly, and the pessimistic part of myself, which quailed during this whole segment, was completely moved. Not in a way where I felt like shedding tears, but in a way that just made me feel glad for the professor. I was able to internalize it and relate rather well.

This is Akira Kurosawa’s last film. According to many American critics’, it is a fine conclusion to a stellar career. Even though I have not yet seen any of his other films, I can believe it. I liked this movie better than all the other theater releases I have seen since the beginning of last summer, so if it isn’t his greatest, some of his other’s must be phenomenal. I already know that the next couple of his films that I’ll see are Rashomon and The Seven Samurai. If anyone can recommend others, I would greatly appreciate it.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I must admit that I am a filthy American pig who has not seen many “foreign” films, not counting British or Australian films, which I’ve seen a larger number. However, after the disappointing influx of crappy American big budget films, I’ve deemed that perhaps I’ve been missing out. Especially when there are so many respected members on this forum who swear by them. Now I’m making a point to watch as many “foreign” films as possible, starting with one of the most respected director’s that ever existed. The reason I chose Madadayo first is because it was the only Kurosawa film available to me at this time.

Madadayo is a film about a professor near the end of WWII who after retiring, finds that all his pupils adore him. Actually, worship might be a better word. Its time frame spans the next two decades of the professors (Tatsuo Matsumura) life after retirement and the dedication of his pupils within his life. Every year they have a birthday celebration in his honor where they ask him in unison, “Mahda-kai? (Are you ready?)”, and after he gulps down a huge glass of beer in one breath answers, “Madadayo!” (Not yet!).”

This is an extremely sentimental film, sometimes to the point of ridiculousness. Not that I’m bashing it, because the movie is actually quite effective of moving me and forcing a grin onto my face. Where it seems to be silly sometimes is whenever the professor speaks, every single member of the class laughs uproariously, and when he loses his cat and becomes extremely depressed, the movie spends close to thirty minutes investing itself to this one particular development. Yet, when the conclusion to that segment comes to a close it is done very sweetly, and the pessimistic part of myself, which quailed during this whole segment, was completely moved. Not in a way where I felt like shedding tears, but in a way that just made me feel glad for the professor. I was able to internalize it and relate rather well.

This is Akira Kurosawa’s last film. According to many American critics’, it is a fine conclusion to a stellar career. Even though I have not yet seen any of his other films, I can believe it. I liked this movie better than all the other theater releases I have seen since the beginning of last summer, so if it isn’t his greatest, some of his other’s must be phenomenal. I already know that the next couple of his films that I’ll see are Rashomon and The Seven Samurai. If anyone can recommend others, I would greatly appreciate it.
and here i was just thinking "man i'm a filthy american pig, i havent watched any foreign movies lately, and it's been over a year since i last watched anything by kurosawa".
anyhow it's good to hear you're finally picking up his movies, brian. i havent seen madayo, but what immediately springs to mind from your description of it as the next kurosawa movie that you have to see is 'ikiru' [1952]. i cant say for sure but i dont think it's quite as well known as some of his bigger films such as seven samurai or rashomon, but i think those who have seen it generally seem to put it right up there, and i think there are a few at this site [Holden?]. delving into some of his other great movies a few gems that come to mind are a lot of his "modern" setting films like the nuclear paranoia and family politics of 'i live in fear', the gritty "scouring the depths" movies like 'high and low' and 'stray dog', and of course many of his great samurai movies, like 'the seven samurai' and 'yojimbo'.

Hi
Yeah I'd go with The Hidden Fortress (star wars inspiration yaddayadda).
Sadly I haven't seen Ikiru, you could not believe my anger when I rented it, put it in the tape player and the picture was vibrating repeatedly. I tried to watch for 5-10 minutes, had a seizure, recovered, turned it off and returned it angrily.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I would like to recommend Ran from sometime in the 80's. That is probably my favourite Kurosawa film. Maybe a warning is in place though since some of the scenes are really long. I thought they were cool and served the film well, but maybe Slay and others are of a different opinion.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Kurosawa is my favorite filmmaker of all time.

Madadayo is sort of an odd place to start in his filmography, but as the man never made a bad movie, really any place is as good as another when you get right down to it. Madadayo is the sentimental side of Kurosawa, that's for sure, best exhibited in Ikiru (1952) - one of my favorites among favorites.

Rashomon (1950) is what I consider his very best film, which is saying an awful lot because he has a number of masterpieces to his credit. After you watch this one, you'll be wondering why people aren't talking about it all day long on every movie message board there is.

Kurosawa made two Shakespeare adaptations, where the setting is transferred to feudal Japan with the basic characters kept as is, and they're both great. The epic RAN (1985), probably his most ambitious and awe-inspiring feat, is King Lear reimagined, and Throne of Blood (1957) is a Kabukiesque version of MacBeth, with one of the best finales you'll ever see.

The Seven Samurai (1957) and Yojimbo (1961) are probably the two best known of his samurai films, if only because they were both later turned into great Westerns: Seven Samurai into The Magnificent Seven (1960 - John Sturges), and Yojimbo into A Fistful of Dollars (1964 - Sergio Leone). They're also two of his best. Yojimbo is especially fun.

Kurosawa also made a couple of Noirs, which are generally underappreciated in his body of work, but stack up against anything from the genre made in any country. Stray Dog (1949) follows a Tokyo detective who has his gun lifted by a pickpocket on a crowded bus, so he and another cop must track down the thief. In High & Low (1963), adapted from an Ed McBain novel, a wealthy executive's son is kidnapped, but complications arise almost immediately when they realize it was in fact only the chauffeur's boy who was taken. Do they still pay the ransom? Terrific flick.

Another of my favorites that was rather dismissed by too many upon its release is Dreams (1990). A series of short pieces, it doesn't have the same kind of narrative strength his films usually do, but the visual imagery here is the most amazing and poetic of his entie career.

So there's a (long) shortlist of recommendations from me, though again you can't really go wrong with any Kurosawa film, as they're all great. Especially look for Kurosawa's favorite actor, the great Tishiro Mifune, who collaborated together on sixteen films.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

And there's a pretty good documentary, simply called Kurosawa (2001), made by Adam Low, that covers his brilliant and singular career quite well. If you watch that, you'll come away with a very long list of must-sees.

Luckily for you, Slaytan, living in Portland, Oregon, you'll be able to track down virtually everything Kurosawa ever made. Especially at Movie Madness over on Belmont. Yowza, what a great place to get lost in! It's the second best video store I've ever seen (the best being Le Video in San Francisco).

My favourite Kurosawa picture, and my second favourite movie of all time, is The Hidden Fortress (1958). It was the basis [or so says Lucas] for Star Wars, though it completely surpasses it, and in so many ways. It's funny, it's moving, and it's got some of the purest, most engaging action I've ever seen. The film's duel is simply astounding.

AKIRA KUROSAWA FILMOGRAPHY

01. The Hidden Fortress (1958) ****
02. The Seven Samurai (1954) ****
03. Rashômon (1950) ****
04. Ikiru (1952) ****
05. Yojimbo (1961) ***½
06. Throne of Blood (1957) ***½
07. The Bad Sleep Well (1960) ***½
08. No Regrets for Our Youth (1946) ***
09. Dodes'ka-den (1970) **½

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
LordSlaytan, The Seven Samurai is playing on the Independent Film Channel (IFC) this morning (Saturday) at 11:00 A.M. PST!

Thanks everyone, I was hoping for responses and couldn't be more pleased.

You can catch up with three of Kurosawa's classics at the end of this month on Turner Classic Movies. On Friday November 28th at 8:00pm it starts with The Seven Samurai, followed by Yojimbo at 11:30pm, and Throne of Blood at 1:30am.

Yojimbo is also playing on IFC on November 22nd, at 8:00am and again at 2:00pm.

Rhapsody in August is playing a lot this month on FLIX - if you get that channel, on the 10th, the 15th, the 23rd, and the 28th.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
You can catch up with three of Kurosawa's classics at the end of this month on Turner Classic Movies. On Friday November 28th at 8:00pm it starts with The Seven Samurai, followed by Yojimbo at 11:30pm, and Throne of Blood at 1:30am.

Rhapsody in August is playing a lot this month on FLIX - if you get that channel, on the 10th, the 15th, the 23rd, and the 28th.
Unfortunatly, I get none of the channels above. I can only afford broadband, not digital cable as well. None of those channels are offered with basic cable in my area. I looked up my local library's web site, and found that there are 6 titles that I can check out, so I placed holds on all of them.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Holden Pike

Thanks for the info Holden.

I have a question for you.

Is there anywhere on this forum where you can post upcoming movies on T.V.?

I love IFC.

I looked up my local library's web site, and found that there are 6 titles that I can check out, so I placed holds on all of them.
What six?

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
What six?
The Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Stray Dog
Ran
The Hidden Forest
Ikiru

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Although I may be a little late for this, I recommend that you see Yojimbo, which, for my money, is the most entertaining of his films (that I've seen), and is also the best Samurai film ever.

Also, if you can, rent it in Criterion. (I own it...it is a great transfer)

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
1985, Pidd.
Right. Thanks. I was too lazy to open up imdb.

What do you guys think of the opening scene in Ran?

Well, I picked up my next Akira Kurosawa film yesterday, The Hidden Fortress. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can see why it is know to be the inspiration for Star Wars. I also thought it was interesting how Lucas used the sliding screen between scenes in Star Wars just as Kurosawa did in this movie. I’m looking forward to my next flick.