The Neon Demon by Nicolas Winding Refn

Tools    

Gaumont and Wild Bunch have announced that they will reteam with filmmaker Nicolas Winding Refn on the upcoming horror film The Neon Demon. We previously reported that Refn was gearing up to shoot the horror-thriller I Walk with the Dead next year in L.A. It’s possible this is the same movie under a different title since The Neon Demon will also shoot in Los Angeles. In a press release, Refn says, “One morning I woke and realized I was both surrounded and dominated by women. Strangely, a sudden urge was planted in me to make a horror film about vicious beauty. After making DRIVE and falling madly in love with the electricity of Los Angeles, I knew I had to return to tell the story of THE NEON DEMON.”

Principal photography is set to begin in the first quarter of 2015 and will be filmed in Los Angeles, CA. The cast will be announced later this year. Refn’s regular collaborators, editor Matthew Newman (Bronson, Drive, Only God Forgives) and composter Cliff Martinez (Drive, Only God Forgives) will be joined by director of photography, Philippe Le Sourd (The Grand Master) on the production of NWR’s film.

http://collider.com/nicolas-winding-...he-neon-demon/

Wait, wait, wait. Refn doing horror, set in LA, a Cliff Martinez score?

I'm sold already.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I don't sign off on all of Refn's movies, but I look forward to seeing each of them. Cliff Martinez and the Cristal Baschet seems perfect for a horror film.

I am the Watcher in the Night
The only movie of his I like is Drive....Only God Forgives was dull and don't even get me started on that Viking or whatever it was movie.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Valhalla seemed pretty mainstream to me.

Dude has got visual chops. I didn't despise Only God Forgives like so many, it has totally left my mind though. My interest is properly piqued.

I was wondering if it was delayed or something... This is pretty late to start marketing for the movie. We barely got pictures of it until very recent. And it premieres in 1-2 months.

Anyways, uh, so far the movie doesn't really have my attention...

I have to return some videotapes...
It has attention from me because I love this director. Bronson is in my top 50 for sure and I can't to see what he can bring to horror.

Hmmm, looks pretty... divisive. My first reaction to that trailer was that it looked glossy and empty, but it's kinda growing on me.

Seems like the music will be rad, as is always the case with Refn/Cliff Martinez.

Curious to see the Cannes reviews.

Let's hope they're better than the reviews for Only God Forgives a few years a go. What did you think of that film, Swan?

Curious to see the Cannes reviews.

Let's hope they're better than the reviews for Only God Forgives a few years a go. What did you think of that film, Swan?
I dug it.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
All the artsy fartsy types are gonna loooove this

Visually this film to me appears as a double edged sword, it's beautiful and the sets look deadly. But it looks so vacuous and empty, I really can't decide between giallo inspired neon light awesome or a neon painted, high gloss finished turd.

An interesting read: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016...s-winding-refn

Apparently, whilst making Drive, Refn announced each new take with the words: “Let’s f*ck.” Here, it's: “Violence, motherf*ckers!”

And yet another Refn film got booed at Cannes! (which doesn't say that much, because Pulp Fiction, for instance, got booed too)

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3...-booed-cannes/

Reviews are mixed so far. I found this particular sentence in one of the reviews telling (it's also featured on Rotten Tomatoes):

"A gorgeously grotty little number without a thought in its pretty little head."

That's pretty much how I felt about Refn's last film, Only God Forgives (which slightly got better in my head compared to my first reaction to it, especially because of its lasting images).

Curious how I'll feel about this one...

Finished here. It's been fun.
I doubt there will be a better film this year. I have decided to up my rating from
to
. The best surrealist film since Mulholland Drive, a film with such vision and vigor, reminding me of great surrealists like Bunuel, Jodorowsky, Lynch and Terayama. One of the best OST's in decades, a sequence that recalls the Stargate sequence from 2001, a hilariously subversive Keanu Reeves cameo...I could go on and on. Refn's masterpiece.

Movie was dope.

Great to see you liked it Lucas. I trust your taste over any of the bashers. I have a feeling I will like it a lot, and am seeing it this week.