Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Cassadaga (2011)
Awful opening scene (should've been cut imo), poor portrayal of a deaf person, nothing new brought to the table and a villain pretty easy to spot before the reveal. That said still watchable and I'd give it a 5.5/10.

Bla to the critics, I thought this new addition to the series was a lot of fun. Slightly darker, better cast this time around(Mark Wahlberg and Jack Reynor are a huge improvement over Shia Laboffin) and they toned down the 'army/patriotism' stuff even though there were about a million shots of the American flag.

The nearly 3 hours went by rather fast.

Welcome to the human race...
The Hunger Games -

Eh, it was on TV. Good production design but the camerawork is distractingly jittery a lot of the time and it's all too easy to pick apart the extremely familiar dystopia tropes on display.

Waking Life
(Richard Linklater, 2001)

"Which is the most universal human characteristic: fear, or laziness?"

I can completely understand how someone would not enjoy this. However, and hopefully all film lovers will be able to relate here, every once in a while a film comes along and you watch it thinking it was made just for you. Recently I have been thinking a lot about where I am in my life, I am a university student who doesn't really enjoy his course and kind of wish I picked something that I enjoyed a little more, I want to be able to go out and do something in my life, to contribute something great, I'm constantly thinking of things but no that there are certain restraints, limitations in life, whether physical or in social terms, that mean I can not.

I think being at an important point in my life has lead to me dreaming more. I never really noticed it until a couple of weeks ago, but I have been dreaming a lot recently. And not just dreaming either, lucid dreaming. The first lucid dream I remember was probably when I was about four years ago now, so when I was probably fifteen, and I have them every now and again. I never paid much attention to them or never thought much about them, but in the last year, especially in the last few months I seem to be having a lot of them. I have been doing a lot of research about them as I find them completely fascinating, and even tried to control them. I seem to notice that a lot of them take place after long nights out when I have been drinking or doing other drugs. I remember last year when I was in my university accommodation I had this really long lucid dream, it was more like a nightmare, I kept peeling back the layers and trying to get out but I couldn't, and as I kept trying I had to keep reminding myself I was in a dream as you would fall back and forget this, but at the same time I knew exactly where I was in real life and it was like I was stuck there.

I knew this film had a lot of philosophical stuff from the posts of you guys recently, and after the first fifteen minutes I began to found it a bit less interesting. The peak of my interest in terms of that stuff was definitely the Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke scene. I have many times thought exactly what Julie Delpy's character says, about how life is just you relieving your memories. You are already dead, it is inevitable and you are now watching your memories back through your eyes, you are even reliving moments like this when you predict that you are going to relive them.

What I did not know, and this links back in to my first two paragraphs, that this movie was so focused on lucid dreams and the connection between reality, dreams and the way your body and brain works. I knew it was about dreams, of course, but not lucid dreams and not that it would go in to so much detail. I found the film absolutely fascinating and relatable in the weirdest ways possible. I feel like I have experienced many similar moments or thoughts in my life or in my dreams.

I do not think I have anything else to say really in regards to why I loved it so much, the animation style was fresh and totally fitted the content of the movie, I can not imagine the possibilities of the dream world being captured in any other way. An incredibly inspiring film that makes me want to go out and do something great with my life, it might sound silly, but it is one hundred percent true. Needless to say this will be at the top end of my animation list, and I really hope that some other people like me watch it and love it.

Good write up Daniel. Very cool when a movie hits you in the sweet spot like that. Glad you had such a great experience with it. I had a similar experience with Dumb And Dumber To last weekend.

Yeah, I too loved the dreamy aspect of the film, at times it felt as if I was inside the dreams myself. I really did appreciate this element about the film. But it's just so philosophical and relies so much on dialogue that it nearly totally ruins it (at least for me). Dreams are all about feelings, about getting lost in them, floating in them (like the protagonist does from time to time)... but Linklater chose to mix the fantastic dreamlike imagery with dialogue a first-year student of philosophy would write. For me it could have been a masterpiece, but it's just far from being one.

A Town Called Panic (2009)

I felt like this movie was so frantic at the beginning that it'd make me dizzy. There's not really any plot; it's just one chaotic scene after another that kept me constantly entertained. I loved the characters and I thought it was very funny. Big surprise for me.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Belle de Jour

Terrific film which really shows what Bunuel is capable off. The performances are great, the cinematography is gorgeous, and there is a great amount of humor as well. Quite kinky too.

Rango (2011)

Funny, action packed, and with some awesome movie references, it could be argued that this is more for adults than kids. The movie is visually amazing. It didn't even look like animation to me; it looked more like live action with great CGI characters. It's a good think I saw it on Daniel's favorites list because it wasn't on my radar before.

Yes! That rating makes me so happy. I'm glad you enjoy it so much. I thought you would because as you said, it could be argued it's more for adults than it is for kids, lots of movie references that only adults will get and the overall mannerisms/languages used by the characters are quite adult (like the bar scene). A real movie lovers movie for me with so many great scenes that act as homages to more great films.

I honestly think it's the best animation I have ever seen in terms of actual animation design too. The characters are so meticoulously designed, the scales on the creatures can be scene one by one, it's so gritty and detailed.

I don't think there's anything like it really, I understand it's quirkiness might not be for everyone, but I'm glad that quite a few MoFos on here seem to like it too now.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

This was a major surprise back when I saw it at the theatre in the summer. The fact that this could easily get the stamp as your typical "blockbuster flick", and to find out it was so much more than that was a great thing. Especially the extremely daring decisions made with a movie of that scale and budget. When you think about it the action is very minimal, and the brave choice of focusing completely on the apes for like 80-90% of the film and on top of that with plenty of silent scenes with sign language by the apes, was a great surprise and it worked to great effect as well. The visuals were amazing, the soundtrack great, the story well-balanced and with its focus the right place. I wish we would get more "blockbusters" like this one. A pleasant rewatch this was!

+

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Not what I expected at all. The nightmarish sequences and scarred experiences from childhood were a surprise and it worked on occasions and some times it didn't. I loved the acting obviously, and Dustin Hoffmann completely stole the show for me, he was absolutely stunning in this. And without the acting of Hoffmann and Voight I'm not sure if I would've even enjoyed it. The last 30 minutes were quite powerful but the actual story as a whole was not as well structured as I hoped, and the friendship and experiences of each individual was not really enough for this to be a truly great picture. It had its moments, but I'm always honest with movies (and everything else for that matter) so this time around the rating is like this,

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Grapes of Wrath (1940)

It's my third John Ford's movie and so far my favourite. An amazing attention to details, very good writing and very theatrical performances but in a good way! Fonda is amazing on this one.
The thing that scares me the most about this film is that everything is so similar to the actual days. People being looked at like numbers, losing all their life's work to nameless entities, servants of the money.
Society didn't change much in the last 70 years.

9/10

Saw series -6/10

I finished watching the whole series and I'm not gonna bother rating each individual film.

Overall this is one of the better, if not the best horror film series out there (which may not be saying a lot considering a lot of the horror films I've seen). But regardless, it has a clever and memorable villain, and a lot of creative death traps, and ends up keeping the continuity across the films surprisingly well. I really expected the films to be a lot worse than they are. They aren't strict "slasher" films, they've got elements of crime and mystery films there too (just with lots of graphic torture).

If you can stomach the torture and gore then it's worth a watch. But I highly recommend watching the films in order, or else you'll have a tough time making heads or tails of anything.

The first film is the best in the series, with decent acting and a good sense of mystery. Once you get to the 3rd film it begins to go downhill, but never gets downright awful and still keeps you hooked. Films 3 and onward also rely way too much on flashbacks of the previous films attempting to fill the viewer in; which becomes annoying, and doesn't help much either (because if you haven't seen the earlier films, or at least read cliff notes you're not going to understand anything anyway).

The 4th film is definitely the worst in the series (it's a convoluted mess is almost impossible to follow), and the 7th is the second worst (most of the killings in that film have little to nothing to do with the actual plot, and the victims of the killer act poorly showing little emotion even as they endure torture).

The premise of the films also becomes less believable once the original Jigsaw dies and is replaced by his successor (Hoffman) - the Hoffman character comes across way more as a thuggish brute without a lot of intelligence, and doesn't fit the profile of an evil genius capable of designing elaborate traps for his victims.

Apparently an 8th film has been scheduled despite the 7th having been originally been announced as the last - I might see it but I have a strong feeling that it jump the shark at that point.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
beautiful Deneuve + kink + great cinematography = easily a
film.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Was great to see the entire cast back again, and getting up to all sorts of ghastly stuff...Definitely a couple of cringe moments in this one! Very well done in my opinion.

4 out of 5. (added an extra .5 for the addition of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, haha).

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

What is there to be said about this that hasn't already been said?

So, this was a rewatch, and while I defiantly liked it the first time around I didn't love it - although I did see why people love it so much and I quickly realized that this was a film that even multiple viewings wouldn't be satisfactory enough. But still, I wasn't quite sure if I was ever going to really see this as the masterpiece it is. Yes, obviously, even with the first watch I could easily call it a landmark or rather the landmark in sci-fi cinema and one of the most important movies ever. But would it ever be a masterpiece among my personal ratings and reviews? Apparently so, yes.

Never have I ever felt quite this way with a film. While the first 1/3 or so defiantly has it's high moments, it gets a tad slow sometimes though never actually what you would call boring. But when the last 2/3 starts the movie just never let go. I don't think I've ever finished watching a movie and felt like I got all my senses stimulated at once. '2001' appeals to all the feelings in your entire body, the heart, and most certainly the brain. Especially with the very last minutes of the film I felt like my mind was boiling over, even though I did see it once before I never got captured like this time around. There is simply no other film like this out there, it's an experience you'll never have with any other movie and one you never quite forget. It is truly like a crazy time travel into the unknown... Some things you think you understand. Some you know that you don't. And some you have no f*cking clue about what so ever, but you are still sitting with your eyes glued to the screen like your life depended on it.