would any of you still watch 80's horror and still find it gripping?

Tools    

i've seen poltergeist, and the changeling for example so many times now,these are horror classics. and everytime i'm just on the edge of my seat while watching, wish they would make something like that these days, but no, today its just half arsed action movies for the sake of it...

A system of cells interlinked
No, today isn't just half-arsed action flicks. That's a silly claim.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I disagree with your claim about today only being poorly made action films. Not only is there so much more to films of the twenty-first century than one genre, I would argue that that one genre is better today than it ever has been on the whole.

If you want amazing horror films from today (which I find to be far better than what you listed as horror classics), they're easy to find:

Sinister

Oculus

Let the Right One In

28 Days Later

Frontier(s)

Ju-On: The Grudge

The Cabin in the Woods

Zombieland

The Conjuring

Quarantine

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

The Strangers

Saw

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

That's only a sampling, and not counting some of my more controversial picks (like Hellraiser Revelation). Horror is alive and well. In fact, historically, Horror is at a premium whenever the economy sucks, which is certainly true of today.

There are very few 80's films that I can stand to watch in the horror genre.... they are all cheesy overdone films. I would prefer to watch today's horror, horror from the 30's and 40's and even the 70's... but I am so glad I found horror from other countries. Its so much better than the American horror genre.

There are very few 80's films that I can stand to watch in the horror genre.... they are all cheesy overdone films. I would prefer to watch today's horror, horror from the 30's and 40's and even the 70's... but I am so glad I found horror from other countries. Its so much better than the American horror genre.
the changeling is no over done film, please wake up please.

To be honest, the only 80's horror films I still enjoy are Slashers and The Changeling. There are plenty of great horror films for today such as The Ring, One Missed Call 1 and 2 (The foreign films. Can't say the same about the third one though), Phone and many others. Seriously though, watch Phone if you haven't yet, it's got the best child actor I have ever seen, and she's in an Asian horror film, it is well worth your time.

the changeling is no over done film, please wake up please.
Excuse me... but I believe I have the right to my own opinion. and since I was a teen-ager in the 1970s and 1980s... I would definitely have seen these when the first came out..... I will say what I want....

Lord High Filmquisitor
I honestly can't believe that I forgot to mention Grindhouse! Planet Terror alone is a 10/10!

what about cannibal holocaust? unfortunately animals did suffer for its release [seven rain forest dwelling animals were genuinely killed during the film for those who havent seen it] but excluding that [and given there are versions available for people who dont want to see the animal abuse and/or the rape scenes] its highly watchable-to think there are people who actualy live like that,it still makes a very interesting and gripping film.

also,what about nightmare on elm street,hell raiser,it? have always thought of those as being watchable-even now,yeah they might be cheesy but sometimes cheesy just works.

The 80's have more of my favorite horrors than any other decade, so off the top of my head, I'd say that's the best decade. However, I was a teenager then, and that was when horror was most effective for me, and it's also when I watched the most horror. It would probably be impossible for me to give a fair answer.

Yea I can realte to those subjects and still find myslef having fun

i've seen poltergeist, and the changeling for example so many times now,these are horror classics. and everytime i'm just on the edge of my seat while watching, wish they would make something like that these days, but no, today its just half arsed action movies for the sake of it...
I never get tired of re-watching Poltergeist myself...love that movie.

I never get tired of re-watching Poltergeist myself...love that movie.
thanks for your reply, i find it as one of the best horror movies ever made.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
No, I'd have to be a pre-teen again, watching against my parent's wishes, to recreate that 80's forbidden fruit of horror in an atmosphere of genuine fear.

Sincerely yours,
Mr. Desensitized

The faces of the slasher genre are Jason, Michael, Chucky, Pinhead and his cenobites (along with Freddy being the leader) are icons in horror.

I'll give you one guess as to what they all had in common...

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The faces of the slasher genre are Jason, Michael, Chucky, Pinhead and his cenobites (along with Freddy being the leader) are icons in horror.

I'll give you one guess as to what they all had in common...
Mommy issues?

If it was The Entity, then yeah .

80's horror is my favourite era and genre and there is so much to choose from but I still watch modern horrors, it depends what I'm in the mood for... usually I'm more worried when watching a new horror film that it's going to be awful, not an old one, but occasionally something comes along that changes my mind like "the house of the devil" or "The Witch" and there's much I like from the 70's 90's and 00's.

Check out The Fog...the 80's version, one of John Carpenter's early flix . It's moody, simple, low budget, minimal FX and fits into its setting really well, the lighthouse in Point Reyes in California.

Jamie Lee Curtis and Adrian Barbeau made great scream queens and John Carpenter does some fairly bad acting himself.