Movies that have been copied...

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm not talking remakes, I'm talking "kinda stolen" whether it's the writing, plot, etc... I don't want to name anything quite yet, as I don't want to influence this thread, but I see way too many movies that seem like they are disguised as something else, by changing a few meaningless things, and making it as their own.

Dredd... Dredd's script was stolen and turned into The Raid and was released first, making people think Dredd was the rip off.

Every other film from year dot has been copied... watch Harry Potter, any of them... they have elements, plot devices, McGuffins and even character names... from every other movie/book/story in history.
Even though, apparently, Rowling has never heard of any of those other stories. Apparently.

Poltergeist was copied with Insidious.

The only difference is Insidious shows you inside the "other realm".

Michael J. Fox made a movie called For Love or Money whose story bears more than a passing resembling to Billy Wilder's 1960 classic The Apartment. Though some might consider it a remake, Ellen Barkin made a movie called Switch which pretty much has the exact same plot as the 1964 film Goodbye Charlie.

Perhaps the most overrated movie of all time, Avatar, stole 90% of it's plot and themes from movies such as Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, and FernGully.

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

Every time a big movie comes out and is a massive hit at the box office other studios will try to jump on the bandwagon with their own variant of the main concept.

When Jaws came out we had a slew of Jaws knock offs from the parody Piranha to movies like Orca and Grizzley. You could argue Alien as Jaws in space (it was pitched as such) but that is its own unique movie with its own iconic monster.

Same with Star Wars and ET. ET clones could get REALLY bad. Mac and Me was an ET clone and it was also a long advert for McDonalds and Coco Cola.

You can also argue the same for just about every young adult novel that is a movie now is some studio trying to find the next Twilight or Hunger Games.

I would argue that Hunger Games was a remake of Battle Royale however I cannot give HG that much credit as it really does not deserve it. The problem with HG is I was all ready to tear it to bits about how it was a bad film compared but it wasn't, I just felt it was a bad film on it's own that did not deserve my time or effort.

Perhaps the most overrated movie of all time, Avatar, stole 90% of it's plot and themes from movies such as Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, and FernGully.
That's just a "fish out of water" trope, though. You can say the same thing for Last Samurai and a dozen other movies surrounding an outsider joining a native group. Avatar, though not a good movie, is not the first to "steal" this idea.

A place in the sun by george stevens was strikingly similar, and IMO far superior, to the critically acclaimed Sunrise

And most of you probably already know this one but Old School was a rip off of Fight Club

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I think Tarantino said he used Kubrick's "The Killing" as the inspiration for Reservoir Dogs.
City on Fire

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
That's just a "fish out of water" trope, though. You can say the same thing for Last Samurai and a dozen other movies surrounding an outsider joining a native group. Avatar, though not a good movie, is not the first to "steal" this idea.
Besides the amazing visual elements, the story progression had me, literally, thinking this is the same damn script as Dances with wolves as i was watching. Where movies seemingly 'borrow', Avatar seemingly 'stole'. Which is disapointing because Cameron usually can do no wrong for me.

Hunger Games definitely borrows from other elements. You could cite The most dangerous game, Lord of the flies or Battle Royale, hell you could cite Surviving the game (Ice-T haha). I would say that HG is a modern take on a popular story for the youth of today.

One that i found most culpable is The Island(2005). That movie by and large stole script, screen and idea of Parts: The clonus horror (1979)

Fistful Of Dollars and Yojimbo ...

The Mummy and Indiana Jones (I prefer The Mummy ...)

Dredd... Dredd's script was stolen and turned into The Raid and was released first, making people think Dredd was the rip off.

Every other film from year dot has been copied... watch Harry Potter, any of them... they have elements, plot devices, McGuffins and even character names... from every other movie/book/story in history.
Even though, apparently, Rowling has never heard of any of those other stories. Apparently.
The Raid >> Dredd

Make a better place
don't forget to add The Matrix