Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

Hard for me to believe this movie is 30 years old. I felt the magic and the danger, and I loved the heroine.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Linklater's charting of personal and regional behaviors has been evident since It's Impossible to Plow by Reading Books, and it's basically the showcase of Bernie (as well as his best film, Slacker). It's pretty concrete as material, so I'm confused as to what you think isn't Linklater about the film
It didn't make his day.

Tremendous movie. Unbelievable that I just heard of it a couple months ago, and I don't think I have ever heard of it in these parts. O'Toole is quickly becoming one of my favorites as I venture more and more into the classics. I wasn't surprised to read that it was based on a play. I love good dialogue, and many times after watching a movie and thinking it was superbly written, I have discovered it was first a play. I never want to go backwards but it strikes me watching some of these old films how much more clever they had to be to show the lewdness of their characters. No pervasive language or gratuitous nudity to get their point across. They had to use their imagination, and Glenville did so perfectly in this film. The first hour we get to spend with these men is perfect and propels us into the second half of the film when the tones gets more serious. By that point we care about the characters and easily go along on the rest of the journey. If you have not heard of this and plan on watching some 60's films, I highly recommend checking it out.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Tremendous movie. Unbelievable that I just heard of it a couple months ago, and I don't think I have ever heard of it in these parts. O'Toole is quickly becoming one of my favorites as I venture more and more into the classics. I wasn't surprised to read that it was based on a play. I love good dialogue, and many times after watching a movie and thinking it was superbly written, I have discovered it was first a play. I never want to go backwards but it strikes me watching some of these old films how much more clever they had to be to show the lewdness of their characters. No pervasive language or gratuitous nudity to get their point across. They had to use their imagination, and Glenville did so perfectly in this film. The first hour we get to spend with these men is perfect and propels us into the second half of the film when the tones gets more serious. By that point we care about the characters and easily go along on the rest of the journey. If you have not heard of this and plan on watching some 60's films, I highly recommend checking it out.
Becket IS a great movie, and if you're enjoying O'Toole's work, Check out The Lion in Winter, also a great 60's movie with Audrey Hepburn.

Gabrielle (2013) 4/5 Really loved it. Not for actions lover ; I warn you, no explosions here! Still a very touching movie, with a subject taboo in our society ; the love and sexual attirance between two person with a mental impairment. I loved how it talked about this subject with a realistic point of view, no unnecessary romance. Also, the main actric '' Gabrielle '' really has an impairment, called Williams syndrom, and give such a good performance! It made me a little bit more happy with the humand kind, as we can take care of each others and include everybody of our own kinds, even the weaker. Plus, I just love when a girl director, Louise Archambault in this case, can show she knows how to use this medium. Finally, well, I admit I know every songs of Robert Charbelois so it was pretty fun to sing along the movie...

Dogville (2003) 4/5 Lars von Trier is such a impressive director. I'm not a unconditional fan but still I respect his work. And THIS particulary. Only a confident director, such as he, could do that kind of work. A real piece of art. I understand that it may no work out for everybody, and you have to have a certain open mind to see this, but once you really decided to let yourself in this minimalistic world, you get hypnotized by the universe. I wasn't sure of where the stoy was going in the first hour, I didn't like Kidman's performance, and oh my godness, Trier's jump cuts really gets on my nerves! But they're in every and single one of his movie, so I must get along. At one point, I decided to stop criticizing and I just really enjoyed the last two hours. What a perfect ending! Also, I really liked his use of the lights. A very creative film, very unique. But it did cancel the effect the movie Gabrielle had on me, my love for humanity dropped a little. Shouldn't have watch it the same day

Serpico (1973) 3/5 Okay movie, not bad, not extraordinary. Al Pacino with facial hair, I was happy. The other rest of the films, I was angry at cops. I saw in this movie a message on the political power of media in our society.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Al Pacino!.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	17339  

Becket IS a great movie, and if you're enjoying O'Toole's work, Check out The Lion in Winter, also a great 60's movie with Audrey Hepburn.
The Lion in Winter really IS a great movie, such wonderful dialogues. If Becket is in the same category, I'm putting in right now on my to see list

Stuck On You (2003)

Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear are hilarious as cojoined twins with conflicting personalities who find themselves in even more humorous conflict when one of them wants to go to Hollywood to become an actor.

The Farrelly Brothers are the most prolific filmmaking duos for the comedy genre. Aside from Kingpin, Stuck On You is possibly one of their most underrated and funniest films ever.

Unregistered User

Night of The Creeps (1986)

I'm not a massive fan of comedy-horror, Shaun of the Dead aside, but this was pretty good. Pretty much does what it says on the tin. Plenty of gore and was pretty funny. A better than expected....

++

Paper Moon (1973)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Sunshine (2007)

I should never have seen this movie. I am a sci-fi fan and I love space movies so eventually I would have to see it, as it's mentioned on many "best space movies" lists, but I regret having done so very much, and I'm glad it's finally over.

It's not because it's a bad movie, no. For what it is, it was done quite well. The thing is, I have a fear of high temperatures. It's so bad that I won't stand any closer than 1 meter to a lamp, because the bulb is hot, and I won't light a match because the flame is too close to my fingers. As you might imagine, a movie like this would increase my blood pressure. And it sure did... I'm actually sweating and my heart is racing. I know it's not a significant piece of information but I thought I would write it regardless.

Anyway, while for me Sunshine is pure nightmare fuel, for you it's a pretty good sci-fi/horror movie. And probably the only horror movie which you will be more comfortable watching at night than during the day.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You are lucky you loved it. Very lucky. Haters of Angelopoulos will be eliminated. xD

Now watch other Angelopoulos films! Almost all of them are masterpieces!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Make a better place
Linklater's charting of personal and regional behaviors has been evident since It's Impossible to Plow by Reading Books, and it's basically the showcase of Bernie (as well as his best film, Slacker). It's pretty concrete as material, so I'm confused as to what you think isn't Linklater about the film
Linklater films that I've watched are
Dazed, Before Sunrise, Sunset, Midnight, Waking Life, Boyhood, Scanner Darkly, Newton Boys, and now Benie

maybe Dazed and Newton Boys are a little different, but the rest have a very similar style, and that style is not found in Bernie

I haven't watched the movies you mentioned which happen to be his first twp movies and that's why I said I may be wrong

Why so serious Bluedeed, take it easy
Life is good

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Linklater films that I've watched are
Dazed, Before Sunrise, Sunset, Midnight, Waking Life, Boyhood, Scanner Darkly, Newton Boys, and now Benie

maybe Dazed and Newton Boys are a little different, but the rest have a very similar style, and that style is not found in Bernie

I haven't watched the movies you mentioned which happen to be his first two movies and that's why I said I may be wrong
I haven't seen A Scanner Darkly, but the rest fit into the thematic and narrative concerns that define Linklater's career that I indicated begins with his earliest films. Dazed and Confused isn't really a different film for him, it's one of his most definitive (single day narrative, large cast of characters that flow in and out, and an attempt to catalog the specifics of personal, regional, and temporal behavior, pretty much an amalgam of all of his concerns).

If you want to make the assertion that Bernie doesn't fit into Linklater's style (something I'd be fine with anyone doing), you need to make some assertion as to what this style is and how Bernie differs from it. There are a number of things different about Bernie compared to other Linklater films, but that can be said about basically all of his films.

Why so serious Bluedeed, take it easy
Life is good
Don't mistake my seriousness about movies as me being personally serious or upset about my life, it's mildly offensive. My seriousness for movies comes from a love for them.

PATHS OF GLORY (1957)

won't go too far in-depth right now after first watch, even if this film likely deserves that sort of well-thought out review start to finish. The story had tension-packed scenarios involving the French army during World War I, starring Kirk Douglas as Colonel Dax... who defends his soldiers in a court marshal case, where Dax's men are accused of cowardice. I got crazy chills all up and down my spine like never before when Christiane sings the German folk song at the end. Her song made me think about how folks these days tend to hate each other for having different opinions. Just as a first reaction, i notice that quite a lot these days. Not so much here on MoFo, but elsewhere. This film made me feel there is the possibility to understand, even for people who hate each other for differences... Like the French soldiers who join in to a folk song of their enemy

Rating:
+ 9.5 / 10

The Weeping Meadow

Devastating

The Weeping Meadow is one of the most emotionally draining,depressing films I've ever seen. Each long take in this film is beautifully composed, each frame giving off unspeakable beauty. This 3-hour art-house masterpiece follows a small family as they try to endure through turmoil,war,fascism,etc. I don't know what else I can say about this film, it is forever imprinted in my subconscious.Every now and then I need to see a film such as this to see the power the great art-form of film can provide.

It is indeed a masterpiece

Pulp Fiction

As some of you may know Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie. So you may be wondering why this was the last movie I saw. Well I wagered my relationship with my girlfriend on it. We finally had a 3 hr block where we had no plans, so we sat down to watch it. If she didn't like it, it would have to be the end, but if she did, she can stick around

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

Sexy once called this the gayest gay movie ever. Now I am no authority figure on that subject, but I was willing to take Sexy's word for it when I read his review. And after seeing this movie, I can defiantly see it. Brokeback Mountain was much more subtle about the character's sexuality and in my opinion was a better movie. But this was still an interesting movie to watch. And the performances were very good.