Forgotten Gems (A place to share movies lost in the mists of time)

→ in
Tools    

Ready!Set!Go!...Er..Actio n!

I've only seen this movie once but I remember it vividly. It was a showcase piece for a lot of actors (See cover of movie for a few names)

It's basically about a Tuxedo coat which passes through four sets of owners before being used for a scarecrow in a field. Something happens to each of the people who wear the coat. Nearly everyone in this film became famous in movies, tho I don't recall the one who got shot being in much....

The Enchanted Cottage

Cast:
Dorothy McGuire .... Laura Pennington
Robert Young .... Oliver Bradford
Herbert Marshall .... Maj. John Hillgrove
Mildred Natwick .... Mrs. Abigail Minnett
Spring Byington .... Violet Price
Hillary Brooke .... Beatrice Alexander
Richard Gaines .... Frederick 'Freddy' Price
Alec Englander .... Danny 'Taxi' Stanton
Robert Clarke .... Marine Corporal
Eden Nicholas .... Soldier

A young man rents a cottage after he's horribly scared in the war. He's told it's a enchanted cottage and true love blooms there. He hooks up with a very homely woman, but while they are in the cottage he isn't scared and she isn't homely. A lovely movie about how true love sees beyond surface imperfections.

The Thin Man (et al)

Six utterly fab movies starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as the crime solving couple Nick and Nora Charles (with Asta the dog) with snappy humor and dry wit.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Gas Food Lodging
(1992)

It's a movie about a mom trying to raise her teenage daughters
in a small southwestern town.

I especially like the relationship between the younger daughter
Shade(Fairuza Balk) and Javier(Jacob Vargas).

Strong performances by Brooke Adams and Ione Skye.

Ready!Set!Go!...Er..Actio n!
You get a rep point from me if only for answering my thread!

I couldn't find a picture of it's original poster anywhere.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I ate all your bees.
I'm not sure this is soo much a forgotten gem but more of a movie that deserves more credit, Breakdown with Kurt Russell...Just saw it again the other day and really enjoyed it, most people however have no idea what I'm talking about.

Only for the weak
I've seen it, and own it, pretty cool movie.

Here are a few.....

The Insider(1999)

Al Pacino, Russel Crowe, and Christopher Plummer. About the Tobacco industry, my parents found it very boring but great performances and a level of suspense throughout kept it very interesting.

Glengarry Glen Ross(1992)

Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, Alec Baldwin, and Alan Arkin. About telemarketers. I've yet to see it, due to the fact no video stores around here carry movies that people haven't heard of. But it is said to be great by many a critic. It's failure probably has alot to do with the fact it has one of the worst titles to come out of Hollywood.

Under Suspicion(2000)

Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman. While like The Insider it is often tedious and sometimes boring. But oscar calibur acting by Freeman and Hackman, some suspense and a couple of twists keep you watching. Ps I know it's not very old, but is definetly over-looked.

Quigley Down Under(1990)

Tom Selleck and Allan Rickman. Like Glengarry Glen Ross it suffers from a horrible name. But is a movie I've always enjoyed since I was a kid, but has enough serious moments I still enjoy it today.

I ate all your bees.
Under Suspicion(2000)

Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman. While like The Insider it is often tedious and sometimes boring. But oscar calibur acting by Freeman and Hackman, some suspense and a couple of twists keep you watching. Ps I know it's not very old, but is definetly over-looked.

Quigley Down Under(1990)

Tom Selleck and Allan Rickman. Like Glengarry Glen Ross it suffers from a horrible name. But is a movie I've always enjoyed since I was a kid, but has enough serious moments I still enjoy it today.
Ill have to give those two a shot, Cheers.

Originally Posted by Muzzy

Glengarry Glen Ross(1992)

Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, Alec Baldwin, and Alan Arkin. About telemarketers. I've yet to see it, due to the fact no video stores around here carry movies that people haven't heard of. But it is said to be great by many a critic. It's failure probably has alot to do with the fact it has one of the worst titles to come out of Hollywood.
Great choice, but it's about real estate agents.

I've never seen greater acting.

Interesting side-note; the song used for the trailer was Rodent,
from the industrial band, Skinny Puppy.

Only for the weak
Real Estate agents ok, my bad

So I take it you've seen it and liked it? I might just break down and buy it off Ebay or something, impossible to find in stores around here.

How is The Insider a forgotten gem? It was an oscar winner of only 4 years ago! I think the spirit of this thread that are movies that most people haven't heard of. Maybe I'm wrong.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Bamboozled (2000) by Spike Lee

Not the first film people mention when you talk about Lee. But it is a masterpiece (IMO) but perhaps too controversial to be fully accepted.

The Thin Red Line (1998) by Terrence Malick

Ok, ok, ok.. I know I am going on and on about this film, but I just think that it never got the recognition it deservs. And it has always kind of stood in the shadow of Saving Private Ryan because they came out the same year.

Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut/A Man Escaped (1956) by Robert Bresson

An amazing minimalistic masterpiece about a man of the Resistance sentenced to death by the nazis during WWII and his escape from prison as well as his preparations for the escape. Brilliant and thrilling!

Le Salaire de la peur/The Wages of Fear (1953) by Henri-Georges Clouzot

When we're on french films anyway... This is one of those films that before you see it you are pretty sure it will be kind of dull, but this one is one of the most skillfully built up action/thrillers I have ever seen. Exciting stuff!

Gosford Park (2001) by Robert Altman

One of recent years' best films by a great american master. It received an Oscar for best screenplay and the story is indeed great. But the acting and the directing and - my god - the cinematography... jeez. So beautiful. I have tried to talk about this film on here before but you guys don't seem to agree with me on this one. If you are really a film buff and love comparing and looking for references to other films then check this one out and then the french classic La Règle du jeu/The Rules of the Game (1939) by Jean Renoir.

Cross of Iron (1977) by Sam Peckinpah

Another of the great war movies but seldom mentioned as such. It is extra interesting because it is seen with the eyes of the losers, i.e. the germans. It is extra extra interesting regarding the fact that it was made only a couple of years after USA's withdrawal out of Vietnam. Even though set during WWII, this film is really about Vietnam.

Annie Hall (1977) by Woody Allen

I heard somewhere that this is the lowest grossing academy award winning film ever.. (Do you say "lowest grossing"?). And it is also one of the few comedies that has actually won the best film award. When is Allen going to be recognized as one of the truly great ones?? This film has some of the most hillarious moments caught on film ever in it.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
How is The Insider a forgotten gem? It was an oscar winner of only 4 years ago! I think the spirit of this thread that are movies that most people haven't heard of. Maybe I'm wrong.
I have to agree with you.

Some of these movies frequently come up on critics and fans
top 100 lists.

Originally Posted by Muzzy
Real Estate agents ok, my bad

So I take it you've seen it and liked it? I might just break down and buy it off Ebay or something, impossible to find in stores around here.
Do you live out in the sticks?

If you are out in the country, you should try Netflix.
http://www.netflix.com/Default?sutest_cntr=WELCOME_TAB

Only for the weak
Well once again, it probably has alot to do with because where I'm from(which is VERY much out in the sticks) I NEVER see movies like that in stores. So pardom me if I'm not the best judge of sorts.

Ps Thanks for that link Loner, I'm checking it out.

Put me in your pocket...
Polite...Nice thread. I haven't seen Tales of Manhattan, but I'll look out for it. And, I love the The Thin Man series.

Piddy...I can't seen your pictures either...just white squares and little red x's. Nice reviews though.

Here's another to add to the list...

Stage Door (1937)
It’s the only movie Katharine Hepburn and Ginger Rogers made together. I don't hear too many people talk about it. It really is a treat to see Katharine and Ginger together. It’s also interesting to see a young Lucille Ball, Eve Arden and Ann Miller together.

The story is pretty simple, it follows two women in a women’s boarding house trying to make it big on the stage. One’s the daughter of a wealthy man who doesn’t want her to be in the theater (of course, she has a mind of her own)....and the other is the street-wise, smart talking dancer. If anyone has heard of the line, "the Calla-Lillies are in bloom again"...it's from this movie.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	StageDoor.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1849  

Put me in your pocket...
Just thought I'd bump Polite's nice thread back up. I wanted to add...

Marty (1955)
Directed by Delbert Mann
Written by Paddy Chayefsky

I love this movie. It’s simple, touching, heartbreaking at times, and incredibly sweet. Ernest Borgnine is wonderful as the 34 year old Marty. And, Betsy Blair was nice as Clara. Very early in the movie, Marty says he knows he’s “fat and ugly” and knows rejection and loneliness all too well. He’s miserable. And, Clara’s blind date dumps her for being a “dog.” She’s humiliated. They both know each other’s pain so well.

Much of what happens in this 1955 movie still rings true today....rejection, loneliness, fear of trying again, swallowing your pride, more rejection, family problems, needing to please others, guilt, compassion, dreams and fears of the future, pressures from your friends. Paddy Chayefsky did a great job intertwining these ideas throughout....even concerning Marty’s mother and Aunt.

If anyone gets a chance to see this gem, it’s worth it. It has a whole lot of heart....just like Marty.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by Aniko
Just thought I'd bump Polite's nice thread back up. I wanted to add...

Marty (1955)
Directed by Delbert Mann
Written by Paddy Chayefsky

If anyone gets a chance to see this gem, it’s worth it. It has a whole lot of heart....just like Marty.
Thanks for rekindling this thread, Annie. I missed it when it was started the first time around.

Great post regarding Marty! I loved this film, as well. It reminds me a lot of Rocky without the boxing element. I wrote a Quick Review for Marty in my
Quick Reviews #5 .
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10