GHOST WORLD

→ in
Tools    

Everyone - you must see this movie! It's absolutely brilliant. Finally, someone has taken the time to create a thoughtful film with a teen lead (played wonderfully by Thora Birch)! Birch plays a satirical pseudo-intellectual post-high school graduation time in the present day. Scarlett Johanssen plays her best friend and Steve Buscemi her bookish love interest. Watch out, too, for Brad Renfro (the kid from THE CLIENT and APT PUPIL) as the Qwicky Mart clerk, Josh, the one that the two girls pine over.

I'll talk more about it when you guys see it - but you HAVE to see it!

I'm serious when I say this movie's great. I'm disappointed in you all....

I want to see Ghost World, but I didn't realize it was showing in Dallas until just now (though it is a bit of a pain to go all the way to the Inwood just to see a movie).

So, I saw it now. It was very good. (And it did just start today here in Dallas, so I couldn't have seen it before today, really).

Now With Moveable Parts
Gee...was this all you guys had to say about this movie? I'm hoping this isn't the only thread, but it's all I could find.

I really enjoyed this movie, a lot. It a funny, complex charactor study of the three leads. Thora Birtch is Enid, Steve Buscemi is Seymore and Scarlett Johansson (The Man Who Wasn't There) plays Enid's best friend, Rebecca.
I want everyone to see it, it's that good.

Yup, 'tis absolutely wonderful. You all should check out the graphic novel by Daniel Clowes, as well, if you're interested in such things.

And not only were the three leads incredible, the supporting players were excellent--especially Illeana Douglas (love that woman) as Enid's flaky art instructor and Bob Balaban (love that man) as Enid's clueless father.

Zwigoff couldn't have picked a better project for his first feature film, I say. And it's nice to see that Thora Birch was only suffering from temporary insanity when she decided that Dungeons and Dragons was a good career move.

Now With Moveable Parts
Yup, 'tis absolutely wonderful. You all should check out the graphic novel by Daniel Clowes, as well, if you're interested in such things.
Holden said he liked, My First Mister, better than Ghost World. It must be along the same lines. So, I just thought I'd put that out there for anyone who liked this movie.

And not only were the three leads incredible, the supporting players were excellent--especially Illeana Douglas (love that woman) as Enid's flaky art instructor and Bob Balaban (love that man) as Enid's clueless father.
I felt so sorry for her dad. He seemed so helpless as to how to relate to her, but he kept trying. He's a little noonie-head (translation: cute). Illeana Douglas first turned my head in Cape Fear and then, even more so in To Die For. Love her.

And it's nice to see that Thora Birch was only suffering from temporary insanity when she decided that Dungeons and Dragons was a good career move.
Gawd, you're not kidding.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I totally loved this movie, It was so very not Hollywood. The comic is excellent as well. I actually like Peter Bagge better than Daniel Clowes, but Ghost World turned me on to Clowes' stuff. Now all they need to do is make a Buddy Bradley movie (animated, of course) and they will never need to make another comic book movie again.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The Gweat and Tewwible
My friend was playing Jaan Pehechaan at work the other day. We started talking about GW. I am going to buy the DVD soon, even if it kind of sucks...And the soundtrack if I get the chance.