8. Alien
7. Jaws
6. The Godfather Part II
5. Apocalypse Now
4. A Clockwork Orange
3. Taxi Driver
2. Star Wars
1. The Godfather

I'll be nice and go for a DVD if my one in a hundred shot pays off. Don't have anything which can play a Blu-Ray on

Reviews

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
1. A Clockwork Orange
2. The Godfather
3. Taxi Driver
4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
5. Star Wars
6. Alien
7. Apocalypse Now
8. The Godfather: Part II
9. Chinatown
10. Jaws

My prediction!

The three movies of mine that won't make it are Frenzy, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, and The Friends of Eddie Coyle. Frenzy is, I think, one of Hitch's best films, and certainly the best film he made in the period following Psycho. And taking out the historical context, I think it's better than Psycho. In Frenzy he goes back to England and makes a far grittier movie than he'd ever made before, about a serial killer who rapes and strangles women in London. Hitchcock's trademark dark humor is on display, as well as his great camera work and mastery of suspense. The scene where the killer has to retrieve a tie clip from the death grip of his murder victim, whom he's put in the back of a truck carrying potatoes is classic Hitchcock.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot is criminally underrated. It was written and directed by Michael Cimino, and stars Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges, who got a supporting actor Oscar nomination for his portrayal of the big mouth kid, Lightfoot. It's a quirky road movie/buddy movie/heist movie, and it's a thousand times better (IMO) than Cimino's best known film.

And then there's The Friends of Eddie Coyle, which I never hear much of. Apparently, it needs someone like Holden or Mark championing it here so it can get some recognition. Directed by Peter Yates, it stars Robert Mitchum as a low-level gangster facing prison time, who is given a chance for a reduced sentence if he becomes an informer. One of the last movies I cut from my list is another Robert Mitchum film, The Yakuza.

My list:

3. Life of Brian (#41)
5. Manhattan (#52)
6. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
7. The Jerk (#54)
8. The Omen (#99)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
12. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (X)
13. The Conversation (#18)
14. The French Connection (#31)
15. Young Frankenstein (#15)
16. Enter the Dragon (#24)
17. Frenzy (#121)
18. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
19. Harold and Maude (#27)
21. The Friends of Eddie Coyle (X)
22. Network (#32)
24. Being There (#98)
25. Little Big Man (#61)

My prediction for the Top Ten:

10. Apocalypse Now
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
8. Alien
7. Jaws
6. Star Wars
5. Chinatown
4. Taxi Driver
3. The Godfather Part II
2. A Clockwork Orange
1. The Godfather

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
My also rans:

#5 The American Friend

Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire made the 80s list but no love for any of Wim Wenders 70s films, sadly. This is a tense, gorgeous looking film with Dennis Hopper and Bruno Ganz.

#11 Quadrophenia

If Tommy didn't make it I guess this didn't have a chance. I think this is a great film about 60s youth culture, motorbikes, mods and rockers with a great soundtrack by The Who.

#21 Fox and His Friends

This is a film which is actually very uncomfortable to watch as you see what is happening but the protagonist doesn't, as his upper class lover fleeces him out of his lottery win. It's nonetheless a fascinating watch with the director himself in the starring role and cameos from the two stars of the Fassbinder film that did make the countdown, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul.

#22 Performance

It's like Persona, but with Mick Jagger. Gangsters and drugs and psychedelia, it's really more of a 60s film than a 70s film and was actually made several years before its 1970 release but shelved.

I never expected any of these to make it, so no surprises for me.

Of the remaining 10, 5 were on my list, three others I think are decent but not personal favourites and two I don't really like. (So I hope neither of those win.)

Oh, and my prediction for the top 10:

1. Taxi Driver
2. The Godfather
3. Star Wars
4. Jaws
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. The Godfather Part II
7. Chinatown
8. Alien
9. Apocalypse Now
10. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Although it could go any which way from here and I wouldn't be surprised.

You think Tommy would be/is more popular than Quadrophenia? I'd think it was the other way.
I think Tommy is probably more polarising, but you don't get negative votes in this countdown. I think I saw Tommy mentioned a couple of times in the lead up to this but Quadrophenia never, that's all.

Here's my prediction:

1. The Godfather
2. Star Wars
3. A Clockwork Orange
4. Taxi Driver
5. Jaws
6. Alien
7. Apocalypse Now
8. The Godfather Part II
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
10. Chinatown

10. A Clockwork Orange
9. Alien
8. The Godfather 2
7. Star Wars
6. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
5. Chinatown
4. The Godfather
3. Apocalypse Now
2. Taxi Driver
1. Jaws

Hey, if nobody picks the order correctly, do I get the BluRay?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

That's a fun idea. Okay, deal. If nobody gets it, you do. We'll call it a thank you for running the list.

There's your task, everyone: DENY HOLDEN THE BLU-RAY. Get those entries in before the next film goes up tonight/tomorrow!

sisters, amarcord, and Tale of Tales all made my list.

Hate Halloween, Young Frankenstein was somewhere in the middle of my list , and the last three inclusions are all alright in my book.

Yeah, I will not be doing a midnight posting today, so the rest of you have until...oh, let's say about 9:00am EST, tomorrow, to get your official guess for the order of the Top 10 posted here in the thread.

That's a little less than sixteen hours from now.

That's a fun idea. Okay, deal. If nobody gets it, you do. We'll call it a thank you for running the list.

There's your task, everyone: DENY HOLDEN THE BLU-RAY. Get those entries in before the next film goes up tonight/tomorrow!
Also I think the Blu-Ray must be a 70s film

1. Jaws
2. The Godfather
3. Taxi Driver
4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
5. Star Wars
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Alien
8. The Godfather Part II
9. Apocalypse Now
10. Chinatown

I guess there's no sense in being coy about what the Top 10 are, now. You guys have it figured. To recap for anyone not paying attention, they are (alphabetically)...

Alien
Apocalypse Now
Chinatown
A Clockwork Orange
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Jaws
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Star Wars
Taxi Driver

That's them. Number 'em one to ten, see how you do. Get it done in the next sixteen hours, you may win a prize.

But you probably won't.