Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

So far, from what i've seen from Bergman, I think he's one of my favourite directors.
I think I'll be getting there too. So far, I've seen and rated Cries and Whispers 4/5, Autumn Sonata 3 1/2 out of 5, and now The Virgin Spring 4/5. I feel that I may have underrated them all because they all caught me off guard. What I really like about his movies so far is that they hit me, and then they stay with me. I can watch another movie and enjoy it from start to finish, but then I kind of forget about it. Not his movies so far. I'll be watching Through a Glass Darkly and Wild Strawberries next.

Unregistered User
I think I'll be getting there too. So far, I've seen and rated Cries and Whispers 4/5, Autumn Sonata 3 1/2 out of 5, and now The Virgin Spring 4/5. I feel that I may have underrated them all because they all caught me off guard. What I really like about his movies so far is that they hit me, and then they stay with me. I can watch another movie and enjoy it from start to finish, but then I kind of forget about it. Not his movies so far. I'll be watching Through a Glass Darkly and Wild Strawberries next.
Good stuff. From what i've seen from him you would definately love Hour of the Wolf and i'm pretty sure you would really like Persona too. Try them if you can. I have Wild Strawberries in the house to watch also.

Good stuff. From what i've seen from him you would definately love Hour of the Wolf and i'm pretty sure you would really like Persona too. Try them if you can. I have Wild Strawberries in the house to watch also.
I'm at the point now where I want to see all of his movies.

Finished here. It's been fun.

It Happened One Night

Excellent!

an extremely enjoyable Hollywood melodrama with two extremely likable lead characters. The two actors(Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert) have incredible chemistry together, and its very entertaining to see them argue and bicker with each other. The film has wonderful cinematography as well, adding a timeless quality and "feel" to the entire picture.

A true classic, and one of the definitive Hollywood films of the 1930's.

In the White City (1983)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Brimming with rififi!
A Man Escaped -

Excellent film about a French Resistance fighter, named Fontaine, who is imprisoned in a Nazi prison camp. The entire film is about Fontaine's quest to escape. A Man Escaped stands on its narrative and themes and is devoid of anything nonessential to telling this very existential story. We don't dive into the brutality of the Nazis; we don't see much of the prisoners, and consequently we don't know much about the other prisoners; the audience hardly sees anything outside Fontaine's cell--all these elements are needless because, for the film to work, we need to see and feel what Fontaine does.

What may appear to be a slow and drab film, A Man Escaped is not. It reminded me of the first time I watched 12 Angry Men: I had thought, "how can a movie about individuals sitting around a table talking for an hour and a half be entertaining?" Contrary to my surmise, I was captivated from start to finish and I honestly felt that I could listen to these guys talk all day if I could. This is because 12 Angry Men indirectly poses questions that viewers unavoidably answer along the way--it keeps its audience engaged intellectually rather than the use frills and thrills; the same is true in regard to A Man Escaped.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Captain America:The Winter Soldier

Let's do this,I didn't post in this thread for a very long time.I watched it for a second time.
SPOILERS BELOW!
Nick Fury is awesome character,that chase at the start is fantastic,I felt like he can die any second but at the same time I was amused by his multitasking and fast(intelligent) reactions,when Winter Soldier appears in front of him you can see in his eyes he is thinking what to do,what next,that will to survive.That death scene in Cap's apartment was so unpredictable at least to me,I see things like this coming but this was great,they created great character,I cared more about Nick than any other character(we don't count Cap here).

Plot was brilliant,now when you go to rewatch Marvel phase 1 you will always know Hydra is there,this movie had a prequel in it,they changed our look at phase one forever.Captain was great here,no back story to take our minutes,he is cool guy in this one,they revealed parts of plot at good moments,not early,not late.Ending was fantastic,acting was good and that ending scene was great.

Now,let's look at universe overall,I'm not a huge fan of heroes here(not big reader of MARVEL),I never loved Cap that much(first movie didn't help) but he bought me with this movie,its not that I dislike MCU,I'll go and watch every new movie but I'm not a big fan of heroes its simple as that.

Now for verdict...I don't know...Its fantastic movie...I'll go as far and say its better than Avengers,its sure better than any other Marvel movie I watched(Iron Man is up there).
Verdict: 8.8/10(Its not 9 because as I said I don't like heroes that much,this really went above what I expected).

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Captain America The Winter Soldier

Slipknot Disasterpieces
\m/

La Dolce Vita (1960)

I couldn't get into this all that much, but for at least one time, it was a good watch in a voyeuristic kind of way. It's kind of how I felt about Amarcord, except Amarcord is not as long and I liked it a little more. Not my kind of movie but it's high quality and looks great.

Mostly felt like I was going through the same exercise in futility as the main character. If that was Linklater's point good on him. I certainly didn't get any enjoyment or enlightenment out of it though. Need to finish the day with a couple Office episodes to lighten the mood.

I will watch wag the dog tonight.

Welcome to the human race...
Reality Bites -

Manages the impressive feat of being cynical and naïve at the same time.

Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre (2009, Iceland) ~ 5.5/10

Had some good scenes but you can tell its a low budget film.

Of Human Hearts (1938)

This was a James Stewart film I'd never seen but finally caught up with tonight. It stars him, Walter Huston (John Huston's dad), and the great Beulah Bondi. She is probably most famous for playing Stewart's mom in It's a Wonderful Life, although she played his mom at least 4 to 5 times. Although Huston and Stewart get higher billing, she is the heart and soul of this movie. Huston plays a minister in pre-Civil War Ohio, and he brings his family with him. Gene Reynolds plays Stewart's character as a kid, and from the start, he is a thankless kid, who is angered that the local community won't pay them the money they promised to the preacher to help his family live. He doesn't respect his father and generally thinks life is unfair. The mother is caught between the two people she loves, but she dotes on the boy. As he grows into Stewart, he still is a bitter young man who wants to be a doctor and not follow his father as a preacher. The Civil War hits and Stewart joins as an Army surgeon. I don't want to give away too much of what Stewart does, but suffice it to say that he's a bit of a jerk and a sponge on his poor mother. A nice, different turn for the usual good guy Stewart. There's a strong supporting cast of actors you see in movies of this era, including John Carradine as Abraham Lincoln! He was made up so well, that if I didn't hear his distinctive voice, I wouldn't have known it was him.

Above: John Carradine as Lincoln.

Above: Beulah Bondi, who looked exactly the same in her youth as she did late in her life. I think when she was born she came out looking like this!

Above:Walter Huston and James Stewart

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
[center]Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre (2009, Iceland) ~ 5.5/10
Such a boring film. Couldn't even finish.

Suspect's Reviews

Halloween: H20 (1998)

- A nice movie very underrated in my opinion. Micheal Myers is my favorite horror movie vilain and in this one he is awesome and the ending is very satisfying.

+