Daniel M's Top 100 - 2014

→ in
Tools    

Here's an early one for you then Skepsis, and it's 100% serious.
Perhaps an odd choice considering what is soon to follow, but I would be lying to myself if I did not include this film. It is over the top and ridiculous, filled with implausible moments and cheesy dialogue, but it knows it, creating a film that is pure popcorn entertainment that I could watch over and over again. Nicolas Cage and John Malkovich are great opposite each other, but it is the great supporting cast of oddball characters that also make the film work so well: M.C. Gainey, Ving Rhames Danny Trejo and the brilliant Steve Buscemi. The day that such moments as "Nobody on this plane gives a flying f*ck" and "Put the bunny back in the box" do not make me laugh, will be a sad day.

Hell yeah! The first time I watched Con Air, I liked it in a so-bad-it's-good kinda way. The second time it was still atrocious (and as I discovered, appropriately self-aware) but I kinda really enjoyed it despite its awfulness. An absolute guilty pleasure if you believe in those kinds of things.

There's loads of stuff I could pick as the worst (read: best) part, but this takes the cake:

Not a big Con Air fan, personally.

I'm not sure if the film should've taken itself more seriously or less seriously to work better for me. I can see why some people would think it's entertaining and a lot of fun, but apart from several over the top moments, it doesn't really work for me as either a good action flick or a good comedy.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Haven't seen Con Air either, but I should probably change that as that mullet is something special.

Really looking forward to the list Daniel, I reckon there's gonna be quite a bit of Altman on here.