Films from Video Games

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I will say that while the Tomb Raider films definitely failed more, I always thought that Angelina Jolie made the perfect Lara Croft. Rather, it was the script and just about everything else that failed.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've driven Lara Croft's Land Rover from the first Tomb Raider movie. There's a good chance it's the one in the picture below seeing as only a couple were made.

It caused quite a stir the year we took it to Weston Park for the game fair.

Because it sucked. Lol
It might have sucked but many movies mentioned in the thread sucked... any difference?

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The problem I have with vg movies are when the two experiences don't blend. After investing all that time playing, its a tall order to make something that mirrors it; which seems to be the intent of any vg movie.

Looking over this thread... no one mentioned

That soundtrack looks promising.

The only one I've ever seen was Mortal Kombat.

If they made a new Mortal Kombat, with a great director (perhaps someone like Snyder(!) I would lose it.

Okay you guys are all wrong. First of all Mortal Kombat was not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination. Second of all Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was actually half decent. You are probably just disappointed because you were expecting something different. Finally there are some actually good films adapted from video games.
Final Fantasy was terrible. We didn't hate it because it wasn't the film we expected, we hate it because it's boring and nonsensical. I've given it at least three attempts over the years, including seeing it in the theater, and it's never grown on me. It's just a bad movie.

Silent Hill was decently scary and Radha Mitchell did a very good job as the main role. The Street Fighter II and Street Fighter Alpha animes were actually pretty decent. Ninja Gaiden (1991) is a cool little obscure anime gem. Wing Commander is pretty good. The first Need for Speed wasn't bad. And The Dead Space animated film was alright.
Silent Hill is also really bad. It's not scary, the story is bloated yet forgettable (another one I've seen more than once and I can't tell you how it ended...).

It wasnt a B film.... it was a mainstream film that played in theatres.... I went to go see it... and like I said.. its HORRIBLE!!!!
Wait, so B-movies can't play in the theater?

The term B-movie comes from the drive-in. They were originally made to play on the big screen. House of the Dead can be called a B-movie as can most genre films of lesser quality.

To the subject at hand, how does one take a medium that is almost 100% interactive and adapt it for a completely non-interactive medium?

In my opinion they should make a movie of Metal Slug with Mark Wahlberg as Tarma,Megan Fox as Fio, The Rock as Allen and Chuck Norris as Hyakutaro

One thing I found interesting about the Lara Croft game & film was that from all accounts it was found that Angelina Jolie bared a striking resemblance to Lara Croft hence why she got the role but after the films they started to model Lara on Angelina. Also, I am sure that 4X4 was put into production? I could be wrong but I am sure it was on Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson was saying that for all the gear it was actually quite well priced.

The Max Payne movie sucked balls. There was barely any slow motion in it (which is what made the Max Payne games stand out) and the story was weird and different and didn't really stay true to the game.
You know what pisses me off about that film is it had a excellent plot from the games and could of been a excellent tv series.

Today, they're almost unnecessary. Sure, resurrect an older video game that has a cool concept, but maybe couldn't pull off it's story well due to limitations, or maybe adding to a game that didn't really have much story to begin with (like Super Mario Bros. Poor example, I know,) but newer games can tell their story fine on their own. A continuation of a story in a video game in film is ok, but a complete retelling? I don't see the point.

Out of the ones I've watched, none of them have been good, really. Silent Hill Revelation really sucks, Super Mario Bros. is bad, but a guilty pleasure, Prince Of Persia I remember being alright, nothing special, though. I like the first few Pokemon movies, mainly for nostalgia, and I'm still really into the games. I know there's been more I've watched, like Doom, and Max Payne, but it's been a long time since I've watched these two, and I remember nothing about them. I've heard video game movies have had better luck in the animation department.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I had completely forgotten about this one. It is not directly based off a game, but a continuation of FF VII.

Welcome to the human race...
Gran Turismo? What, did someone see a racing game and think, "oh, look, another Fast and the Furious franchise?"

That just seems like an odd choice considering there is absolutely no story--at least that was the case since I last played the series; and unless they've changed it in one of the more recent iterations of the game, there aren't even drivers in the car.
Well, they did make a Need for Speed movie with Aaron Paul.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Has there ever been a good video game adaptation? Like at least 7-8/10 or better?

I had completely forgotten about this one. It is not directly based off a game, but a continuation of FF VII.

I remember watching it a long time ago without being familiar with the franchise. Big mistake, I don't think I understood any of it!

The animation is gorgeous, though. But Square Enix is always good with that.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Has there ever been a good video game adaptation? Like at least 7-8/10 or better?
The Final Fantasy movie is great if you watch it with the sound off.

The Final Fantasy was pretty to look at, but very little substance. At least in my opinion.
The Spirits Within? or Advent Children?
I thought Advent Children was great

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

I think it'd be cool to hear what future adaptations you guys are looking forward to also.
Personally I'm looking forward to:
Assassin's Creed
Uncharted

Mass Effect (Rumored)
The Shadow of the Colossus (rumored but just got a director slated)