Just for a bit of a debate...

1-The Shawshank Redemption vs The Green Mile
2-Saving Private Ryan vs Schindler's List
3-Goodfellas vs The Godfather

BQ-Favourite Transformer film...jokes.

BQ-favourite out of all above

Please also make it clear why you prefer each movie if you can

Thanks.

1. Shawshank Redemption - very close to cinematic perfection.
2. Saving Private Ryan - one of the best war films ever;Schindler's List is overrated and over dramatized.
3. The Godfather - simply the best film about the mafia ever made. Marlon Brando dominates with his best ever performace

Shawshank over The Green Mile: similar movies, but one is clearly better

Saving Private Ryan is very impressive but I'm not a fan. Haven't seen Shindler's List yet.

Goodfellas over The Godfather: Goodfellas has what The Godfather has and is more entertaining.

1-The Shawshank Redemption

Both are excellent and feature great performances and a moving story. However the lack of supernatural elements in the Shawshank give it a slight edge for me.

2-Schindler's List

I've not seen all of Saving Private Ryan, but I've seen enough of it to know which I prefer. Schindler's List is the most moving (and depressing) film I've ever watched. So much so that I can only watch it once every two to three years because it takes such a heavy emotional toll on me.

3-Goodfellas

This is an easy choice. The Godfather bored the crap out of me.

BQ-favourite out of all above: Schindler's List

Bob
Movie Forums Stage-Hand
1-The Shawshank Redemption

Both are excellent and feature great performances and a moving story. However the lack of supernatural elements in the Shawshank give it a slight edge for me.

2-Schindler's List

I've not seen all of Saving Private Ryan, but I've seen enough of it to know which I prefer. Schindler's List is the most moving (and depressing) film I've ever watched. So much so that I can only watch it once every two to three years because it takes such a heavy emotional toll on me.

3-Goodfellas

This is an easy choice. The Godfather bored the crap out of me.

BQ-favourite out of all above: Schindler's List
So you prefer Schindler's List, do you think it is more effective in black and white? And do you think it is Spielberg's best ever movie?

Unfortunately, that is the only movie on the list I have not seen, although I do want to see it, how heavily would you recommend it to me? Taking in mind I love Nolan's batman trilogy, Shawshank, Green Mile, Saving private ryan, do you think I would enjoy it?

Thanks

So you prefer Schindler's List, do you think it is more effective in black and white? And do you think it is Spielberg's best ever movie?
I do think it is more effective, yes. Best ever movie? I don't know how to answer that. It's not my favorite Spielberg by any means and, as I said in my Top 100 thread, calling Schindler's List a favorite at all is a misnomer. It's not a fun watch by any means. By the end of it, I always feel like I just got the crap kicked out of me.

Unfortunately, that is the only movie on the list I have not seen, although I do want to see it, how heavily would you recommend it to me? Taking in mind I love Nolan's batman trilogy, Shawshank, Green Mile, Saving private ryan, do you think I would enjoy it?
"Enjoy" isn't the right word for this movie. But it is a film that I think everybody needs to watch at least once in their lifetime.

Bob
Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I do think it is more effective, yes. Best ever movie? I don't know how to answer that. It's not my favorite Spielberg by any means and, as I said in my Top 100 thread, calling Schindler's List a favorite at all is a misnomer. It's not a fun watch by any means. By the end of it, I always feel like I just got the crap kicked out of me.

"Enjoy" isn't the right word for this movie. But it is a film that I think everybody needs to watch at least once in their lifetime.
So, it is a brilliant film but not an enjoyable watch? I get your point, although would you re watch it? Is it a great movie which is uncomfortable to watch?

So, it is a brilliant film but not an enjoyable watch? I get your point, although would you re watch it? Is it a great movie which is uncomfortable to watch?
I've seen it probably 4 or 5 times already, so yeah - great movie but uncomfortable to watch.

Definitely The Shawshank Redemption...I have tried several times and have never been able to get through The Green Mile.

Saving Private Ryan bored the crap out of me and I have never seen Schindler's List.

No contest here...Goodfellas is a masterpiece and The Godfather is severely overrated IMO.

Bob
Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Hi

Which movies out of these will a 14 year old be able to watch. I have not seen too many 18's, just a couple like Goodfellas, and The Green Mile etc.

The Pianist
Schindler's List
Pulp Fiction
The Departed
Django Unchained

BQ-is The Pianist disturbing? Is it comfortable to watch?

Thanks.

These are tough questions because nobody here knows the 14 year old in question. Age is just a number that says nothing about maturity. You're best off watching the movies first on your own, or at least checking out the parent's guide on each movies IMDb page.

Bob
Movie Forums Stage-Hand
What is your experience with these films. Eg is the pianist disturbing and depressing?

And could the pianist become boring?

It's disturbing, depressing, boring at times, but also very good.

I haven't seen Scindler's List but I believe it's similar.

The other 3 are awesome, fun movies.

Bob
Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Is the pianist a slow film? Is it interesting all the way through?

Bob
Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Hi

The illusionist vs the prestige?
The pianist vs schindlers list?
Goodfellas vs scar face?
Fight club vs terminator 2?
Rank these movies in order of best?
If you were bored and could only watch one of these movies which would you watch?
Which is the most boring movie from above?

Thanks.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
Like most of the responses here, it's about your maturity. At 14 i have seen most of what there is too offer and it was always a cinematic experience, nothing more.

Growing up watching Aliens, Robocop, Terminator ect didn't effect me in a adverse ways as some people are want to believe can happen to their children (maybe true in some cases) I thought they were great and they turned into some of my favorite movies still today.

All those movies you listed have violent, dramatic and sometimes disturbing tones. That being said they're also great movies, some are masterpieces.

It all depends on what you like - expect from movies, if you are considerate of violent high dramatic tones and the such, then put these movie's off for a few years until you can appreciate them. OR if these type of movies get your cinematic blood pumping, then go for it!

Is the pianist a slow film? Is it interesting all the way through?
These kinds of questions (the second one) aren't answerable--they vary from person to person. There really isn't any series of questions you can ask that will rule out the possibility that you might be bored. And watching the trailer and reading a review or two is going to give you just as good an idea as asking relative strangers vague questions.

Ditto for all the questions about content: the answer will always be that it depends on the viewer. If you need specific breakdowns for content, sites like kids-in-mind.com provide them in detail.

The people here love movies and are always willing to make recommendations, but that usually works better for finding certain types of films. They're not going to be able to know what you'll find most interesting without knowing you personally.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Hi

Goodfellas vs scar face?
Rank these movies in order of best?
If you were bored and could only watch one of these movies which would you watch?
Which is the most boring movie from above?

Thanks.

Like most people here have already said, these answers vary based on the person watching the movies, but I'll give you my personal opinions. Keep in mind that most people don't agree with my tastes, so you may want to try the movie that I don't pick first.

Goodfellas vs scar face? (Pass, neither is my type of movie.)

My favorite from these movies is either "Terminator 2" or "The Prestige", depending on my mood.