The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Two more movies that I haven't seen.

"Deliverance" has been on my watchlist for years, but I've just never gotten around to seeing it.
I have no interest in "Manhattan" because I'm not a fan of Woody Allen.

Deliverance is one of my dads favourite movies, but i've never really seen the appeal. Manhattan on the other hands is terrific, my favourite Woody Allen by quite some way. I was kinda hoping it would get higher up than Annie Hall, but that doesn't look like the case anymore. I had it at 18 it may have made it higher, if i'd seen it more than once. As Lucas just said the cinematopgraphy is stunning, and i think like Raging Bull and The Last Picture Show; that the decision to use black and white was perfect.

Seen - 28/50
My List - 5/25

10.The Jerk
12.Paper Moon
15.Five Easy Pieces
18.Manhattan
21.Mean Streets

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Black and white is only pretentious when film makers think that having their film in black and white will somehow make it more arty, clever or interesting than it actually is.

I don't think I could describe any film in which Woody Allen is on screen for the majority of the running time as 'stunning' or 'gorgeous', however good the cinematography might otherwise be.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Here we are at the halfway point. This is what I've seen so far.

MY LIST
2. The Last Picture Show
+
6. Fantastic Planet

9. House
+
15. Five Easy Pieces
+

MOVIES IVE SEEN
Breaking Away
+
Autumn Sonata
+
MASH

Mean Streets

Paper Moon

Don't Look Now
+
The Muppet Movie

Little Big Man
+
Badlands

Picnic at Hanging Rock

Serpico
+
Manhattan

The worst that I have seen is MASH, followed by Manhattan. Other than the ones that were on my list, I enjoyed Autumn Sonata and Mean streets the most.

His first is his masterpiece and I am hoping will be top 10.
Not a chance.

Two films I really like. I didn't vote for either, but it's good to see them. I'm slightly surprised that Deliverance is this side of 50.

I've had 5 from my list, so far. There's another 7 that I think are certainties, with 3 or 4 more that might squeak through, but they're going to have to show soon if they're to make it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yes, I bumped Planet to a nine after my third watch. Mean Streets was great too Sean, I figured it would be just that.

My predictions for tomorrow's films: Tora, Tora, Tora! and Frenzy. I mean they have to show!

Yes, I bumped Planet to a nine after my third watch. Mean Streets was great too Sean, I figured it would be just that.

My predictions for tomorrow's films: Tora, Tora, Tora! and Frenzy. I mean they have to show!
I don't think they made it.

Mean Streets was good, but it didn't make my list. To be honest it wasn't really a contender for me. There are too many 70's films I like more.

Mean Streets was good, but it didn't make my list. To be honest it wasn't really a contender for me. There are too many 70's films I like more.
So.... what about the 26 movies since Mean Streets .

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
All the President's Men is a great movie, with great performances. Not on my list, but it deserves to make the final countdown. I love House. It's fun and trippy and I've seen it a few times, but I couldn't justify voting for it.
I didn't mind the film at all, but I just couldn't get into the content as the whole Watergate scandal was never an interesting subject to me and the film was a very dry procedural. I'm bias of course, so it's difficult for me to look at it subjectively. I was reminded of it when I watched Zodiac, which I did like quite a bit.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

So.... what about the 26 movies since Mean Streets .
The only movie since Mean Streets that is on my list is Walkabout, which along with Logan's Run, Sleuth, and Fantastic Planet makes a grand total of four off my list so far. I`m betting six or seven of my picks won`t be appearing, but the rest definitely will.

Growing up in the south, I've been to some really backwoods places and seen some individuals that remind me way too much of Deliverance, so I find the movie pretty damn terrifying and disturbing, and now one of my biggest fears is being raped in the woods by an inbred hillbilly (as opposed to being raped by an inbred hillbilly in a five-star hotel or someplace else--- it's all about the setting ). I think Deliverance is a very good movie, but it's been a few years since I last watched it, and I never gave any consideration to putting it on my list. Mark's write-up on it a couple of pages back kinda makes me want to re-watch it right this second.

As for Manhattan? Eh.

I don't know if Deliverance qualifies as disturbing compared to some of the stuff I've seen. I'd rather be raped by a hillbilly in the woods that have my mouth surgically attached to someone's anus...

Unfortunately I haven't seen Manhattan yet, but it's on my to watch list, and it looks really good.

I don't know if Deliverance qualifies as disturbing compared to some of the stuff I've seen. I'd rather be raped by a hillbilly in the woods than have my mouth surgically attached to someone's anus.
That reminds me of my last date with Sexy Celebrity. Sure, the stitches may sting a bit, but the rest ain't so bad. Plus it's a great source of fiber.

I love it when someone uses "pretentious" when criticizing a film, it means I don't have to listen to what they're saying anymore because they've become irrelevant.

Yeah, this would be much better in colour. Maybe it wouldn't draw me in to the city like it does.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Ugh. Black and white AND that irritating Woody Allen voice. Thank God I was banned from the fan club.