Need some general movie recommendations

Tools    

Bob
Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Hi

Just wondering if you can recommend me some movies.

The ones I love a lot are The Dark Knight, The shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan etc.
Movies I think are overrated are Captain Phillips, Lincoln, Jurassic Park etc.
BTW-I know it must be hard doing this as you don't know much about my preference, but basically I hate romance, not a big fan of sci-fi and some of my favourite kovies are listed at the top.
Thanks.

I guess since you mentioned two movies set in a prison, maybe you like prison movies? I don't know. That's not a very big sample size.

Try THE LAST CASTLE (2001), BRONSON (2008), COOL HAND LUKE (1967), and ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ (1979).

Bob
Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Any good movies similar to the green mile in morale/emotions, but not necessarily set in prison?
What are some of the best dramas?

Any good movies similar to the green mile in morale/emotions, but not necessarily set in prison?
What are some of the best dramas?
As far as THE GREEN MILE's emotional through-line goes, you might like DANCER IN THE DARK (2000) or--I can't believe I'm recommending this--PAY IT FORWARD (2000).

Director - David Fincher.

Anything by him. Go.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
This.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
You might like The Silence of the Lambs. It's too graphic for my taste but if you can stomach it then it's a great movie.

The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan

Great films. They have something in common. They have hope, in the face of an utterly hopeless situation. There deep, reflexive and most somber settings, where the human spirit still endears.

A movie with those similar qualities is, Castaway.

Misery and Stand By Me (since you seem to like Stephen King movies)
Full Metal Jacket, The Thin Red Line (Since you like Saving Private Ryan)
I would suggest Apocalypse Now as a war film, but it's a slower paced war film, still a masterpiece though.
Fire walk with me.

Here to learn. And judge silently.
Director - David Fincher.

Anything by him. Go.
Seconded, just steer clear of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button since you're not big on romance. Definitely check out Se7en and Zodiac, and maybe Lords of Dogtown.

Outside of Fincher, try Black Hawk Down.