Fargo's plot

Tools    

On watching Fargo again, for how many time's? it says at the begining of the movie, it is a true story. My husband said he had read recently that it isn't a true story at all, does anyone know the real story???

Originally Posted by nebbit
On watching Fargo again, for how many time's? it says at the begining of the movie, it is a true story. My husband said he had read recently that it isn't a true story at all, does anyone know the real story???
Well, it's not really based on a "true story," but the way I heard it is that the Coens read a news story about a woman who froze to death searching for a box/bag of money she'd heard was buried somewhere along a fence in that area--and the movie kind of evolved from there.

But that's just what I heard, and it was awhile ago that I heard it.

No, it's not based on a true story. That's just Joel and Ethan's sense of humor. They are notorious for giving varied answers on the same subjects in interviews. They just like to fool with people's expectations.

But no, not a real story.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

And I should've waited for Holden to post.

Well, it's not really based on a "true story," but the way I heard it is that the Coens read a news story about a woman who froze to death searching for a box/bag of money she'd heard was buried somewhere along a fence in that area--and the movie kind of evolved from there.
No, that's the next stage of the whole thing. A Japanese woman watched Fargo, saw the "Based on a True Story" tagline, realised that the money was still buried, and then went out and froze to death looking for it.

How do you say, "Too bad she didn't know it was a practical joke" in Japanese?

As William H. Macy says in the retrospective making-of documentary "Minnesota Nice"....
WILLIAM H. MACY: And then, after the movie was out for a while, there was this great article in The [New York] Post saying it wasn't based on a true story, and Joel and Ethan wrote a letter to the paper saying, we're doing an internal investigation to find out how something like this could have happened, please trust us, there will be personell changes, and we want to assure our public that they can count on us for quality entertainment in the future, and we will take steps to make sure that something like this never happens again. [laughs]
That Japanese woman coming to The States looking for the money in the snow was just plain sad. A fatal extension of the myriad of idiots who after reading The Bridges of Madison County or seeing the movie went to National Geographic or called there asking which issue Robert Kincaid's photos of the covered bridges appeared in. Some people are just too stupid to live.

That Japanese woman coming to The States looking for the money in the snow was just plain sad.
Not to mention overly funny.

I think at one stage they [meaning "Hollywood"] were talking about making a movie about it. A movie based on the story of a Japanese woman who had a crazy plan based on a movie that was based on a fictional true story.

Mm. Bizarre world, this.

Well, there's a movie soon to go into production called Colour Me Kubrick, about a man who during the filming of Eyes Wide Shut went around to hotels and restaurants all over London claiming to be Stanley Kubrick, even though he looked nothing like him. Amazing how many idiots completely bought into it. John Malkovich is going to play this poser.

Yeah, yeah. A true story. That's why I brought it up, see? It's basically the same scam as in John Guare's Six Degrees of Separation, only instead of claiming to be Sidney Poitier's son, this guy upped the ante and just plain pretended to be Kubrick.

A true story. That's why I brought it up, see?
Well, we are talking about the "true story" that was Fargo here, Holds...

Gosh, is that all you guys had to say? Nothing about the deep, impersonal cynicism of Hollywood? Nothing about the sham, erstaz values of the modern world? Not a peep outta you guys about how maybe it WAS a true story, and they are putting you on when they say it is not. (And you don't think the Coens are capable of that? Give me a break charlie!)

Where is the crie de cour (NOW who's showing off!) from the troubled soul who agonizes over the callous cads who can show a heavily pregnant cop holding a gun on a perp as he stuffs ANOTHER leg of his compatriot into the chipper/shredder that has presumably reduced his buddy's other body parts to to meatloaf?

Whazza matter you guys? School been rotting your emotions?

Love & kisses,
Jozie

Also, how come I been reduced to "registered user" status. You used to call me "Critic." You know how to hurt a girl!
No kisses this time, dude!
Jozie

This movie had a plot?

I am having a nervous breakdance
It's not a true story, god damnit!

Can I have some love and kisses, Jozie??

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Jozie
Gosh, is that all you guys had to say? Nothing about the deep, impersonal cynicism of Hollywood? Nothing about the sham, erstaz values of the modern world? Not a peep outta you guys about how maybe it WAS a true story, and they are putting you on when they say it is not. (And you don't think the Coens are capable of that? Give me a break charlie!)

Where is the crie de cour (NOW who's showing off!) from the troubled soul who agonizes over the callous cads who can show a heavily pregnant cop holding a gun on a perp as he stuffs ANOTHER leg of his compatriot into the chipper/shredder that has presumably reduced his buddy's other body parts to to meatloaf?

Love & kisses,
Jozie
Well Jozie, is it a true story

What is callous about a police officer holding a gun on a suspect. Because she is woman and pregnant makes it more interesting, doesn't it.