The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
It's also got some of the most manipulative DLC I've ever seen. Want to play as Ripley, Parker or Dallas? Pre-order the game.

Ok, I've succumbed to pre-ordering a few times when there's been a sizeable discount but this takes things to a new level, especially when you just know that the DLC will be available to everyone somewhere down the line.

Got The Crew beta key very solid game with lot of content and modification.

It's also got some of the most manipulative DLC I've ever seen. Want to play as Ripley, Parker or Dallas? Pre-order the game.

Ok, I've succumbed to pre-ordering a few times when there's been a sizeable discount but this takes things to a new level, especially when you just know that the DLC will be available to everyone somewhere down the line.
I don't get DLC that often, but this game I definitely will without a doubt.

I just bought Dark Souls II, what a waste of money. Very disappointing, my expectations weren't high and it didn't manage to come near them. The graphics are terrible, the gameplay is clunky, it's so obvious that they half-assed everything. I went back to Dark Souls I and the graphics are better and the gameplay more fluid. DSII is a huge downgrade. I'm kinda mad. Geeze, like I wasn't expecting a better game, but at least something playable. DSII is complete garbage.

A system of cells interlinked
Disagree with everything posted above, most of which just isn't true. The engine is provably better than DS1 - sorry, it just is; it clearly and obviously runs better than the first game at a firm frame rate throughout the entire game, while the DS1 engine chokes in multiple places every time (Please show me video of Blighttown runing well on the 360). The game play in DS2 is clunky until you upgrade your stats and your character gets better - that's on purpose. Unplayable? That must be why many sites have it in the running for Game of the Year...

That said - Dark Souls is the better game, so on that we agree. Not sure anything will ever touch that as far as I am concerned. While Dark Souls gets a
from me, I would only give Dark Souls 2
or perhaps
. Saying it's unplayable is just trolling, pure and simple.

I wonder if he's playing it on the PS3? That version is a seriously poor port - framerate drops to sub 20 a lot of the time (and not just stutters either, entire areas of the map run terribly), far worse than DS1. The 360 edition seems to be the better of the console releases in this instance.

I'm playing it on PC. I get 30 fps steady, and pretty much the same in DS1. I never noticed any choking. I have a GeForce GTX 650. The engine might be better and it might get better fps, but that doesn't make the graphics better. The detail on the terrain and characters isn't as good. The armor in DS 1 looks prettier than DS 2. DS2's graphics look like Elder Scrolls Online.

For me, DS2 on PC is a far better port than DS1. Objectively better - It's 60fps (without VSYNC I'm probably getting 120+ but would guess that the entire game might be locked at 60), doesn't need a mod to run at proper resolutions and isn't hampered by GFWL for online. But, at the end of the day, it's still a console port from a small and inexperienced (in PC games) Japanese studio so expecting a graphical tour de force is unlikely. Apparently keyboard & mouse play is laggy but I've always used a controller for DS2 on PC so can't comment if it's still the case.

Graphics too lo-fi for you? Mods. This one, to be precise.

It adds Bokeh DOF, lighting effects, better AA and the ability to up the internal resolution to 4k which brings out much more detail in textures. The mod installed also allows you to add any of the other mods for the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=291048986

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=291114908

Hmm... I'm just trying to compare the graphics... maybe I'm just thinking of style over technicality. I guess the graphics in the first picture are technically better, but the actual design of the models seems to have less layers, and less attention to detail. Am I wrong? Look at the first picture's wrist. Look at that unnatural bone structure. What the hell is that?

Look how he holds a large sword here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/screenshots/

His elbow is bent more and his wrist is straight. I realise that's not graphics, that just better design. Maybe that's really the issue. DSII isn't designed well.

What does fps have to do with graphics?
Nothing, but it's got everything to do with playability, especially in a reaction-based title. You complained about the clunkiness after all.

This is my DS2 screenshots library, don't think I have any comparison shots with and without the mod because I used it pretty much all the time.

Well, anyway, initially I've just been really disappointed, but I'm not going to give up on it just yet. I'll at least see how it goes once you start leveling. I'm only five hours in.

Here's my character.

Edit: I guess I'm getting 60 fps actually. :P

I do agree that DS1 is the better game overall but it's a close run thing. Give it a bit longer.

EDIT - Yep, with your GPU you should be hitting 60 on DS2. It's not that taxing.

So, I've been playing for quite a while wondering when I get the Estus Flask and the ability to level up. Turns out she was hiding there the whole time. Now I can finally equip some better weapons.

Anyway, I'm going to keep playing and try not to criticise it. But I would only rate it 2.5 out of 5. But the original Dark Souls is one of my favorite games ever. I have about 600 hours in it.

Grrrr. I was flat out loving Killer is Dead until tonight.

A lot of Japanese devs just don't seem to get PC ports and KiD is locking up on me when I enter a certain mission necessitating a hard reboot of the entire PC. It's a side mission but bollocks to that - Ain't playing it again unless it gets patched, and we've got a choice between Bob Hope and no hope on that score. Bob Hope's dead.

It's a crying shame.

I mean, look at it!

*sniff*

I don't have to.
Eh? He was saying that the DLC was only available to people who pre-order. So to get it, yes, you would have to. This has since changed, but when he said it, it was completely accurate.

Anyone else been playing the Destiny Beta?
Fire walk with me.