Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I had reservations about this. What with the whole directed by Brett Ratner thing. And while I do not think he is a terrible director, he is not the greatest either. But between him and Dwayne Johnson, they made a really fun movie! A blend of epic action, plenty of comedy and CGI. But not as much as the trailers would make you think.

Now for purists of the myth, will want to stay away. But they do have some fun with the myth where the myth as we know it, is a myth being built in the movie as well. So it was a interesting play on the subject matter. The Rock is awesome, and has an excellent supporting cast of heroes to fight beside him. And I swear the woman who plays the Amazon Atalanta is a clone of Nicole Kidman. 90's Kidman!

And finally yeah it is a lot of fun. Just sit back, relax and have a good time. It makes for a very good summer blockbuster.

Lucy (2014) ~ 6/10

Directed by Luc Besson

Well the first thing I can say, is within the first 10 minutes, I knew it was a Besson film. There is just something about his style. I enjoyed the film but well its hard to say it was "entertaining". I walked out of the theatre with a confused look on my face and my brain rushing about 100 mile a hour, wondering what to make of this film. A lot of the theories are incorrect in the film but with most films now days, nothing is factual. If you like Besson's style, then its a movie for you....

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

God, why don't they make movies like this anymore? This epic piece of film art and storytelling deserves all the praise it gets. It's impossible to look away from its beauty and it's impossible not to be entranced by its dark, but very humane story. I can't even explain how rich this film experience was. Noone was ever able to make epics quite like David Lean could. What a giant he is.

This is definitely another film that I'll write a longer review about in the future, but let me just shortly tell you how this film was able to meet and even exceed my high expectations in every single positive way...

First of all, I was of course expecting a few great images. I think it's pretty safe to say, after finally watching it, that this is one of the most beautiful films ever made. It captures the atmosphere of the desert in such a special way. Lean makes it look like one of the deadliest and most dangerous places in the world, while also making it seem incredibly romantic and poetic at the same time.

The music is simply stunning. It's inexplainable. Just listen to it:

The story was much more dark and tragic than I thought it would be. I was expecting a more typically heroic story, but the film was way more than just that. It's a very layered tale.
Lawrence's character is absolutely spellbinding. He kind of seems to be searching for his own identity throughout this film. He's an oddball, he's stubborn, he's a hero, he's humble, he's an egomaniac, he's almost a God and he's a psychopathic murderer all at the same time. He's a Brit and he's an Arab...
The film guides us fluently and brilliantly through Lawrence's different psychological phases that seem to be caused and influenced by war, praise, violence, murder and abuse. Lawrence learns a lot about himself, but in the end he's not at all satisfied, despite all the seemingly great things he achieves throughout the film and all the different stages of himself he gets to explore. He seems more confused than ever before.
The character's ambiguous feeling also gets projected to the "big picture" of it all, the politics behind the war.

The performances were also fantastic. It's needless to say, but Peter O'Toole's performance is one of cinema's greatest. Omar Sharif is terrific, Alec Guinness is convincing, Anthony Quinn is fantastic and I can't believe that I didn't know Claude Rains was in this picture! He's deliciously cynical as usual.

David Lean was a giant.

----------------------------------------------

A Chorus Line, I disliked this movie...

And I do enjoy musicals from Busby Berkley to Fred Astaire and Gene Kelley, from Judy Garland to Doris Day, to Cabaret, etc. I even liked the remake of The Music Man.

Chorus Line was hugely successful on Broadway and that's where it should have stayed. It did not transfer into a movie very well.

Chorus Line felt like a 'b budget movie' with no sets, no exteriors and with dialogue that was canned and unbelievable. If that wasn't bad enough, Michael Douglas is once again cast as the aloof high-power control freak.

I wanted to see a slice of life from the eyes of a would-be chorus dancer. But the film didn't deliver.

Cob, well said. Your review makes me want to watch Lawrence of Arabia again.

A person could turn off the sound, watch the film and still be rewarded with stunning cinematography. Not just because it's shot at beautiful locations, but because of the way the camera is handled and the scene edits.

This film is one of the first uses of the direct edit. The scene where Lawrence lights a match, the camera comes in close to the flame, then BOOM, a direct edit to the burning sun over the desert sands. What a thing of beauty that edit is....The whole film is a thing of beauty.

This film is one of the first uses of the direct edit. The scene where Lawrence lights a match, the camera comes in close to the flame, then BOOM, a direct edit to the burning sun over the desert sands. What a thing of beauty that edit is....The whole film is a thing of beauty.
Yeah, I saw that scene before, but seeing it in the film instantly made it one of my favorite film moments ever. I love that kind of fancy stuff.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
A Chorus Line, I disliked this movie...

And I do enjoy musicals from Busby Berkley to Fred Astaire and Gene Kelley, from Judy Garland to Doris Day, to Cabaret, etc. I even liked the remake of The Music Man.

Chorus Line was hugely successful on Broadway and that's where it should have stayed. It did not transfer into a movie very well.

Chorus Line felt like a 'b budget movie' with no sets, no exteriors and with dialogue that was canned and unbelievable. If that wasn't bad enough, Michael Douglas is once again cast as the aloof high-power control freak.

I wanted to see a slice of life from the eyes of a would-be chorus dancer. But the film didn't deliver.

I never understand why most people don't like "A Chorus Line". I love this movie. I think most of the songs are great, the dancers are fantastic, and I could feel the tension that most of dancers felt while trying to get one of only a few available roles. I even like Michael Douglas in that role. I think he's great in that type of "high-power control freak" role.

But apparently I'm in the minority on this because most people seem to agree with you.

GB, I don't know why others don't like it? I expected to like A Chorus Line as I do really like musicals, I'm watching All That Jazz tonight.

Besides the smash song, 'One'. I didn't like any of the other music numbers. The dancers were great but the story (what little there was of it) didn't work for me, I just didn't buy into.

Gold Diggers of 1933 and 42nd Street tells a much better story of would be dancers struggling to get into a part in a broadway show.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
GB, I don't know why others don't like it? I expected to like A Chorus Line as I do really like musicals, I'm watching All That Jazz tonight.

Besides the smash song, 'One'. I didn't like any of the other music numbers. The dancers were great but the story (what little there was of it) didn't work for me, I just didn't buy into.

Gold Diggers of 1933 and 42nd Street tells a much better story of would be dancers struggling to get into a part in a broadway show.

I also like "All That Jazz", but parts of it are a bit more dark and dramatic than "A Chorus Line". But the music and dancing are top-notch, and I think Roy Scheider gave the best performance of his career in that movie.

"One" is a great song, but my favorite song from "A Chorus Line" is "What I Did for Love".

Hehe, gotta say I like kinus line. I always enjoyed Cube but just recently I was hanging out with a friend of mine and he never saw it, not even once. So we sat through the whole thing, movie was over and he turned around to me, looked straight to my face and asked "why did he do all that?", obviously disturbed.

He was referring to the character of Quentin. And that really gave me a good time. See, this guy isn't some kid who had lived in a bunker for all of his live. In fact, the contrary is the case, he lived in France, Belgium and Germany, each for a while and now has wife and kids. So you'd expect him to have a vague grasp on life and human nature. But no, Vincenzo Natalis classic just came out of nowhere and ****ed with his feeble mind. That was nice to observe.

For me, it was the Assembly Cut of Alien 3, and I just love Alien 3, no matter what cut so it's a 9/10.

Before that, it was Django Uchained, which was another piece of utter garbage by the these days most overrated director that yet "payed an homage" instead of admitting he was an uninspired turd that rapes the classics. and I wanna say 1/10 but you gotta give credit for the sets and the makeup and costumes so I'd say second last (Django) was a 3/10. I know, I know, I am way to nice. God have mercy.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

I give it points for the story, and because it's visually and technically impressive. However, I agree with HK, Miss Vicky, and Derek; most of it was really boring to me. I'm still going to try the other two.

I only picked that picture for the movie because it reminded me of something else.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

Blood Widow:
They say that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. This statement never rings truer than for this film. I rented it for the sole reason that "the cover looked like Dollface from Twisted Metal". It was a generically movie with less than stellar actors. I'll have a review of it on my website tomorrow afternoon.

Bling Ring: I'll also have a review of this tomorrow. I'll merely say that it didn't impress me. There was very little development to the characters, and only toward the end did it seem to have anything in the sort like a "vision".

Final Destination 5:
I won't do a review of this, but I'll be doing a look at all five Final Destination. I didn't "love" this one, in-fact, it was mediocre. However, I actually think it is the best of the franchise. There was more dynamic to the concept this time around and while the acting still fails. The story is a refreshing improvement.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

I only picked that picture for the movie because it reminded me of something else.
Sauron's Eye is a slang for anus in Poland.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Cricket and Cobpyth. Your guys posts reminded me of how I felt after I initially watched Seven Samurai and Lawrence of Arabia. Two absolutely epic films.

All That Jazz (1979)
This movie is not for everyone, but, without a doubt, this is a great movie.

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

God, why don't they make movies like this anymore? This epic piece of film art and storytelling deserves all the praise it gets. It's impossible to look away from its beauty and it's impossible not to be entranced by its dark, but very humane story. I can't even explain how rich this film experience was. Noone was ever able to make epics quite like David Lean could. What a giant he is.

This is definitely another film that I'll write a longer review about in the future, but let me just shortly tell you how this film was able to meet and even exceed my high expectations in every single positive way...

First of all, I was of course expecting a few great images. I think it's pretty safe to say, after finally watching it, that this is one of the most beautiful films ever made. It captures the atmosphere of the desert in such a special way. Lean makes it look like one of the deadliest and most dangerous places in the world, while also making it seem incredibly romantic and poetic at the same time.

The music is simply stunning. It's inexplainable. Just listen to it:

The story was much more dark and tragic than I thought it would be. I was expecting a more typically heroic story, but the film was way more than just that. It's a very layered tale.
Lawrence's character is absolutely spellbinding. He kind of seems to be searching for his own identity throughout this film. He's an oddball, he's stubborn, he's a hero, he's humble, he's an egomaniac, he's almost a God and he's a psychopathic murderer all at the same time. He's a Brit and he's an Arab...
The film guides us fluently and brilliantly through Lawrence's different psychological phases that seem to be caused and influenced by war, praise, violence, murder and abuse. Lawrence learns a lot about himself, but in the end he's not at all satisfied, despite all the seemingly great things he achieves throughout the film and all the different stages of himself he gets to explore. He seems more confused than ever before.
The character's ambiguous feeling also gets projected to the "big picture" of it all, the politics behind the war.

The performances were also fantastic. It's needless to say, but Peter O'Toole's performance is one of cinema's greatest. Omar Sharif is terrific, Alec Guinness is convincing, Anthony Quinn is fantastic and I can't believe that I didn't know Claude Rains was in this picture! He's deliciously cynical as usual.

David Lean was a giant.

----------------------------------------------
Glad you loved it . After seeing the running time i thought it would be a chore to watch, but i loved every minute of it. For me O'Toole as T.E.Lawrence is the best performance i've ever seen. I thought Peck was excellent in To Kill a Mockingbird, but no way he deserved the oscar over O'Toole imo.