The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

All the movies I watched to prepare for this, and I missed the very first one. Logan's Run is a movie I wanted to see, but I didn't really think it was a contender. I'm going to try to watch it tonight.

Three months ago, The Omen was a lock for my list, but I didn't end up voting for it. I saw it multiple times at the movies when it came out, and I had many nightmares because of it. It's easily one of my all time favorite horror movies. Glad it made it.

As you can see, both of these first two films were tied, as far as points. This happened thirteen times throughout the entire list, including once in the top ten! That's how close these races were. Ties are broken first by whichever had the most votes. In the case of our #100 choice, we actually had to go deeper.

After ninety-nine ballots, there were four titles that had accumulated sixty-four points, but only two slots to fill. The Omen appeared on seven different ballots, so it became the #99 title, leaving a three-way tie for the #100 spot. I discovered it was that much more of a tie, seeing as all three of the films appeared on five ballots, each. The second level of tie breaking then becomes which movie had the single highest vote, much like determining the higher flush in a hand of poker. The three remaining films with sixty-four points were Logan's Run, Murder by Death, and Coffy. The highest numbered vote Coffy received was a ninth-place, Murder by Death a seventh-place vote, and one of the five MoFos who had Logan's Run on their ballot had it as their sixth overall choice. That broke the tie, and just got Logan into the Top One Hundred, spared from Carousel once again!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	five.jpg
Views:	1257
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	16360  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

i was the one who put Murder By Death at #7. it was one of the ones that i wanted to rewatch before submitting because i hadn't seen it in years and i wasn't sure if it would hold up. i didn't get around to it, but i decided to give it the benefit of the doubt since it's a childhood favorite.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yes, you were the one who had it highest, at number nine. Unfortunately for Ms. Grier, that was only good enough for a #102 finish, Sucka.
Just give Coffy a special award for coolest poster for a film that ...

I LOVE the level of effort you're putting into this, Holden. Respect!

Anyway, I haven't seen the first two entries yet. I'm kind of in a sci-fi mood as of late (I've been reading some of Isaac Asimov's sci-fi novels and short stories while being in Austria, Italy and Germany), so I think I might watch Logan's Run when I get back home, just so I can comment on it a little bit in this thread. The Omen also seems interesting and I'll definitely watch that one in the future.

Great start! I like the fact that I haven't seen any of these two films yet.

Anyway, I haven't seen the first two entries yet. I'm kind of in a sci-fi mood as of late (I've been reading some of Isaac Asimov's sci-fi novels and short stories while being in Austria, Italy and Germany), so I think I might watch Logan's Run when I get back home, just so I can comment on it a little bit in this thread. The Omen also seems interesting and I'll definitely watch that one in the future.

If you like sci-fi you'll like Logan's Run

I haven't seen the first 2, but they look good I might check them out.

Logan's Run is an awesome film. I bet you will like it.

I LOVE the level of effort you're putting into this, Holden. Respect! .
Thanks. It has been fun.

And yes, if anybody is wondering, I made that poster on the first page myself. Cobbled from classic '70s movie posters, obviously. I even did it the old fashioned way, as in scissors and glue. Because, you know, I'm insane.

For any conspiracy theorists (Hi, Sexy!), I assembled this poster on the day that The Shining was revealed to be the number one choice on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1980s list, back on March 11th. So not a single ballot had been cast, not even my own. There are no clues there for any film's placement on the list, nor even if it made it at all. I did make a key for it, if you kids want to have fun naming all twenty-eight of the films featured on my 'lil decoupage?

Seems super easy to me, but then I made it. Plus, I'm me.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	poster.png
Views:	1466
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	16361  

Farewell, My Lovely looks good, Cobpyth probably gave it the point. Shame I didn't get round to it but I guess it wouldn't have made a difference
Yes, I have.
I wanted to make the list of one-pointers this time and Farewell, My Lovely was the perfect candidate for that. It's sort of a reboot of the classic noir genre as it was done in the '40s... but this time with a rich color palette in stead of shadowy black and white! I already reviewed it in my thread, but I thought this was a great way to give it some extra attention around here.

"This past spring was the first that I felt tired and realized I was growing old. Maybe it was the rotten weather we'd had in L.A. Maybe the rotten cases I'd had. Mostly chasing a few missing husbands and then chasing their wives once I found them, in order to get paid. Or maybe it was just the plain fact that I am tired and growing old."

----

The three remaining films with sixty-four points were Logan's Run, Murder by Death, and Coffy. The highest numbered vote Coffy received was a ninth-place, Murder by Death a seventh-place vote, and one of the five MoFos who had Logan's Run on their ballot had it as their sixth overall choice. That broke the tie, and just got Logan into the Top One Hundred, spared from Carousel once again!

damm. Coffy is good fun, was my #15. looks like i should've moved it up !