Secondhand Lions

Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Anyone else going to see this? It is my first choice for the weekend, even before Underworld (or maybe second choice, if you count the limited release of Bubba Ho-tep!).

Why that "Attention All All Black Wearing Tattoed Artists" announcement called Underworld is #1 this week instead of the awesome Secondhand Lions is a DAMN SHAME. There are more idiots in this country than I thought.

Sexy recommends the Lions and says **** you to vampires and werewolves. Oh yeah, and to the matchstick men. Nicolas Cage, you belong in a cage! Why must you always play the same kind of character?!

Secondhand Lions. The movie that should have been #1.

I liked Cage's performance.......

Secondhand Lions really should have been #1 but yet again advertisement kills a movie that should be loved by all. I mean seeing as how this is basically the only good family movie out right now why haven't they all gone to see it? Oh yeah, because parents have no morals anymore. I mean when I went and saw Freddy VS. Jason I saw a guy bring in his 2 very, very young kids and I'm thinking, "And people wonder why kids are so bad these days..." Same thing happened at Cabin Fever, I feel deeply troubled for these kids.

Ready!Set!Go!...Er..Actio n!
I'll be going to see Secondhand Lions this week sometime, I've been waiting for it ever since I saw the pre-views.

I saw Matchstick Men the week before and Underworld last Friday.

Nick plays basically the same character because he can't really change his body. He slumps more every year, I swear. I'm so glad he didn't re-make The Thin Man. No offence to Mr. Cage, but he simply hasn't got the level of class that William Powell had to carry the film. However I adored him in Matchstick Men and I can't imagine anyone else doing those ticks so well. IT'S HARD to do that!

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong went into Second Hand Lions expecting it to be a fairly decent film, but it ended up being little more than annoying. Robert Duvall is the only good thing in the movie! One would expect Michael Caine to have been good, but it never looks like he's not having much fun, and he's not convincing as a gruff, eccentric old man. Haley Joel Osmet is easily the worst actor in the movie; he's got the facial expressiveness of a porcelain doll, and delivers his lines in a completely unconvincing manner.

Plotwise the film is nothing special, and it never tries to be. The only problem with that is that it also tries to be kooky and offbeat, but you can't be kooky and offbeat with nothing but the most conventional material to back you up.

The film is too obvious to be moving; and, with the exception of some of Duvall's lines, it's jokes are too old to be funny. The movie is an entertainment void.

Originally Posted by Kong
Robert Duvall is the only good thing in the movie! One would expect Michael Caine to have been good, but it never looks like he's not having much fun, and he's not convincing as a gruff, eccentric old man.
What would you have in mind for a gruff, eccentric old man? There are so many different ways of being gruff and eccentric. I thought Michael Caine was a great actor in it.

Haley Joel Osmet is easily the worst actor in the movie; he's got the facial expressiveness of a porcelain doll, and delivers his lines in a completely unconvincing manner.
The poor guy... puberty is never easy on actors.

The only problem with that is that it also tries to be kooky and offbeat, but you can't be kooky and offbeat with nothing but the most conventional material to back you up.
The only thing I can think of that was really kooky was the family going into the cornfield with guns, trying to find the lion. That I loved.

The film is too obvious to be moving; and, with the exception of some of Duvall's lines, it's jokes are too old to be funny. The movie is an entertainment void.
Maybe I'm just a light entertainment kind of person cause I certainly wouldn't call it a void. If it pleases me and keeps my interest, I am entertained. I did think that things were getting repetitive, with the salesmen and the many sleepwalking scenes.

I thought it was funny, entertaining, and funny. I thought Michael Caine was great....HJO wasn't all that good, but I didn't really mind him. Sure, some was over the top a bit, but it doesn't really hurt the movie. I thought it was an awesome movie.

HJO, was really goofy throughout, but what makes me think that he will become a great actor is the scene at the end when he is in the car with his mom. His attitude completely changes and he plays it perfectly, if he would just quit getting these geeky kid roles then he would prove himself a lot better I think. Bt as for the movie, I loved it. I thought the way they did the flashback scenes was very cool, like old adventure serials. I think this movie has a lot to offer diferent audiences.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
What would you have in mind for a gruff, eccentric old man? There are so many different ways of being gruff and eccentric. I thought Michael Caine was a great actor in it.
Bah! Michael Caine has some sort of natural poise, manner, and sophiscation that apparently cannot be turned off. Robert Duvall out acts him in every scene. It was almost as if Caine's character from The Cider House Rules was acting like a tough old Texan codger.

Oh well. Yet another movie that everyone loves even though it is just a regurgitation filled with secondhand jokes.