Mingusing's 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

Obviously I whole-heartedly approve of Ratatouille. I'm just a little disappointed that it's only 45 on your list. Also disappointed that it seems there won't be any other Pixar films to come. Which means no Up or Wall E.

Nice to see a Von Trier film on a favourites list. Not one of my absolute favourites of his but a very good film.

Before Sunrise is great - my second favourite Linklater film.

44. True Romance (1993)

"You just said you love me, now if I say I love you and just throw caution to the wind and let the chips fall where they may and you're lying to me I'm gonna f*cking die."

One of the most high-energy films I've ever seen, True Romance is a blast to sit through. Tony Scott did a magnificent job with Tarantino's wild screenplay. There's stuff in the script that is just flat-out ridiculous and shouldn't work. But the film has a lot of heart and a lot of charm. One thing I love about the movie is all the little setpieces that really add to the bizarre atmosphere of the film. My favorite part is easily the scene with Gary Oldman as Drexl. Up until that scene, the movie feels like a lighthearted little romance film. And then the brutal violence kicks in and takes the movie in a whole different direction. Overall, it's a wonderfully unique 90s crime flick. Not a typical Tarantino film.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
True Romance is excellent. Very underrated movie.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

I know I'm on my own with this one, but the scene with Gary Oldman is my least favourite of the entire movie. I really don't like it

43. Taxi Driver (1976)

"I realize now how much she's just like the others, cold and distant, and many people are like that, women for sure. They're like a union."

Martin Scorsese's masterpiece character study is slow, darkly comical, painful, and really awesome. So many have written about the film that there really isn't much left to be said. De Niro gives an unforgettable performance as one of cinema's great antiheroes, but let's not overlook Cybill Shepherd or Jodie Foster, both who are excellent as well. I've seen many of Scorsese's films; Taxi Driver stands out among his best because it's so unlike anything else. I think it's possibly the best portrayal of loneliness on screen, and I think, at it's heart, that's what the movie is truly about. How someone's life can just fold in on itself and tumble into insanity when you're alone.

I think it's possibly the best portrayal of loneliness on screen, and I think, at it's heart, that's what the movie is truly about. How someone's life can just fold in on itself and tumble into insanity when you're alone.
Perfectly said.

42. The Exorcist (1973)

"What an excellent day for an exorcism."

Shocking audiences in 1973, the Exorcist might not hold the same power today that it did back then, but it's still one heck of a film. One thing that I think makes the film work so well is the relationship between Regan and her mother. You see them in a few scenes together early on in the film, and Regan just comes across as the sweetest little girl imaginable. The loving relationship between her and her mother really makes the possession that much more disturbing. I find the majority of Friedkin's films rather boring, but the Exorcist delivers an experience unlike any other movie.

41. Inglourious Basterds (2009)

"Did ya get that for killing Jews?"
"Bravery."

Inglourious Basterds is a wildly entertaining war film, unlike any other war film I've ever seen. For me, there are two scenes that stand out and prove how wonderful the film is. The first is the opening scene. This is the first time we meet Christoph Waltz, who plays Hans Landa. The conversation between him and "Monsieur LaPadite" is among the best dialogue Tarantino has ever written. The tension builds so much until it explodes with the gunfire. The other scene I love is the introduction of the Bear Jew. Tarantino has always been a master of putting the right music to his movies, and this scene is one of the best examples of that. When you think about it, the idea of the scene is very basic, maybe even cartoonish. A scary guy emerging from a tunnel with a baseball bat to bash your head with. But the scene actually plays very maturely, surprisingly enough. Overall, it's a great flick. I much prefer this style of war film to something like Saving Private Ryan which, albeit very good, is a bit too over the top in its sentimentality and patriotism.