Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

25th Hour

Fantastic, fantastic film. I don't think I can even shout enough praise for it. An incredible,moving story with outstanding performances. Edward Norton is a criminally underrated actor, he really is superb here. The movie packs a big emotional punch, but its done with such care that I never got the feeling that anything was too melodramatic or sappy. Spike Lee has filmmaking talent,so sad to see that he hasn't made anything good in over a decade.

I just really connected with this film, and I can see it becoming one of my all-time favorites even.
I was hoping you'd love this one

Surprisingly enjoyable.

I didn't think I would like this movie that much. I thought it would be a boring, mostly talking movie that would be hard to get into. I was wrong. The story is very interesting and it's a great mystery that's really involving.

Jack Nicholsson was great as J.J. Gittes, a wise-cracking private investigator who is in way over his head. He was a really interesting character and I enjoyed seeing him on screen. In some ways he was nieve and innocent, showing that he didn't quite know what he was doing. And in other ways he was wise and good-hearted, showing that while he didn't quite know what he was doing, he knew he was doing the right thing, and that was what was needed for this case and for this world.

But by the end of the movie, you see that doing the right thing doesn't get you far in the world. It's a bleak thought, but it's what I think the film is all about. You can see that at the end of the movie, Gittes does not want to investigate another case. You can see the tiredness in his eyes and a look that says he's given up on the world, and that it's no place for a good man like him. Jack Nicholsson was great in this movie, and his character becomes more and more interesting as the movie goes along.

Faye Dunaway plays Evelyn Mulwray, the wife of a man who has recently died, and it's the job of Gittes to investigate. Dunaway was great as the constantly mysterious wife, who seemed both helpful and deceitful in her ways. She had a great performance and you really want to know more about her character.

Overall, a great movie with an interesting story that keeps you involved throughout, stellar performances from Nicholsson and Dunaway, and not to mention great camera work. The lighting was amazing and really helped with the mood of the story, and the picture quality was also spectacular for a film from 1974. The only problem I had was I wished that there would have been more development on the father character and the final "plot twist" concerning him, if you will. I really enjoyed Chinatown and I'm glad I watched it, and I would reccomend it to any Jack Nicholsson fan or any fan of noir films.

4.8/5
Fire walk with me.

Unregistered User

The Drunken Master (1978)

House of Whipcord (1974)

Straight on till morning (1972)

All that Jazz (1979)

Pacific Rim (2013)
6.5/10
Woah talk about extreme fighting scenes. An action packed movie consisting of roughly 70% of raw fighting. Dinosaurs vs huge machinery, what could go wrong? The typical film with an obvious ending and plot, nevertheless enjoyable and perfect for a rainy day. Although I do suspect (as is with most movies) that this particular film was way better in the cinema. The strange thing is, even with it's predictability it does keep you on the edge of your seat sometimes!

Fight Club

Definitely better than I remembered. It is one of those films that gets better on a rewatch, and certainly the first time around I did not expect the movie we got. Knowing the plot, going into this a second time around was a treat. Fincher proves yet again why he is my favourite director, although not my favourite of his, this movie is a definite classic.

8.5/10

Le cercle rouge (1970) 3/5 really disappointed me.
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Chappie doesn't like the real world

25th Hour

Fantastic, fantastic film. I don't think I can even shout enough praise for it. An incredible,moving story with outstanding performances. Edward Norton is a criminally underrated actor, he really is superb here. The movie packs a big emotional punch, but its done with such care that I never got the feeling that anything was too melodramatic or sappy. Spike Lee has filmmaking talent,so sad to see that he hasn't made anything good in over a decade.

I just really connected with this film, and I can see it becoming one of my all-time favorites even.
This is my favorite Spike Lee film. Lee has a distinct voice and I admire a lot of his work. Even the stuff no one else seems to like.

I'll agree that Oldboy is awful but not everything he's done in the last ten years has been. Have you ever seen any of his documentaries?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Le cercle rouge (1970) 3/5 really disappointed me.
Please accept this rose as an apology.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Joe (2013)

This was a real good, tough film; the kind of film A Single Shot wanted to be. It's harsh and disturbing at times, but not to the point where it gets disgusting or campy. It's propelled by 3 main characters; Nicolas Cage plays the title character, Joe, a solid guy who has had his share of troubles. Nic Cage is one of my favorite actors; he's been in a lot of duds, and he almost never plays it straight, but he always dominates the screen. In this movie, none of his usual strange tics are to be found, and it pays off greatly. Tye Sheridan plays Gary, a young teen who's new in town, who comes to Joe looking for work. I first noticed this kid in Mud, in which he was great, and he duplicates that performance here. He is definitely an actor to look out for in the future. The most important performance in the movie belongs to Gary Poulter, who plays Gary's alcoholic, abusive father. As Matteo mentioned in another post, this actor gives an incredible authenticity to the role. I say actor, but in fact Poulter was a homeless man who was cast off the street for this movie. Tragically, this would be his only starring role as he was found dead after a night of heavy drinking a couple months after filming. He is incredible in this movie. I'd say the only negative about this movie is the fact that it's predictable. Of course it's not a mystery, and any twists could've hurt the realism. It's a very well executed and acted movie.

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)

This was my second film from director Luis Bunuel. I liked The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, but I thought this was even better. The movie is about a rich older man, played by Fernando Rey, who pursues a young beautiful woman, played by Carole Bouquet. Both of these actors nail it. What I liked best about the movie was the way it was all set up. From the beginning until the very end, I was constantly wanting to know what was going to happen next. This director did a fantastic job with the subject matter.*

Go Agead, Make My Day

The Hunted 2003

7/10

I think of it like it's the director's own version of Rambo (First Blood)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)

This was my second film from director Luis Bunuel. I liked The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, but I thought this was even better. The movie is about a rich older man, played by Fernando Rey, who pursues a young beautiful woman, played by Carole Bouquet. Both of these actors nail it. What I liked best about the movie was the way it was all set up. From the beginning until the very end, I was constantly wanting to know what was going to happen next. This director did a fantastic job with the subject matter.*

You do realize the girl in the bottom photo is Angela Molina?

You do realize the girl in the bottom photo is Angela Molina?
I know the character was played by two different women; I don't know anything about the story behind it.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

Identity Thief is a bad film. I don't even know what else to say. I wrote a review of it on my website, and I was actually leery to post it. I have reviewed some terrible movies. I watch Full Moon features in my free-time and I ENJOY those. This one, ... I have never been so negative. Melissa McCarthy and Patrick Bateman try their best to keep things together, but it's not on the cards. I also particularly dislike the humor that focuses on movies that do things and say, "Aha! It's funny cause she's out-of-shape! Out-of-shape people don't run!" And things like that, they seem desperate and like lazy humor to me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Identity Thief is a bad film. I don't even know what else to say. I wrote a review of it on my website, and I was actually leery to post it. I have reviewed some terrible movies. I watch Full Moon features in my free-time and I ENJOY those. This one, ... I have never been so negative. Melissa McCarthy and Patrick Bateman try their best to keep things together, but it's not on the cards. I also particularly dislike the humor that focuses on movies that do things and say, "Aha! It's funny cause she's out-of-shape! Out-of-shape people don't run!" And things like that, they seem desperate and like lazy humor to me.

I agree that the movie was pretty bad, but just a note, it's Jason Bateman, not Patrick Bateman.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I agree that the movie was pretty bad, but just a note, it's Jason Bateman, not Patrick Bateman.
Brain fart. You must think I'm psycho.

And no, I full-heartedly expected it to suck from the beginning. Doesn't lessen the blow much though.