Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
We watched 'The Cottage' last night (again) and I really enjoyed it

The Marriage of Maria Braun (1979)

Off the top of my head, I'd say that Maria Braun is the most compelling female character I've seen. She starts off beautiful, resourceful, intelligent, and tough, all characteristics I admire in woman. She gradually becomes conniving, ruthless, and ice cold, but maybe she becomes this way to hide her pain. The other characters in the film are also interesting, but it's her film all the way. I loved it and am starting to realize the kind of foreign films I like. In English language movies, I'm not that into surrealism, symbolism, or storylines that leave a lot to interpretation, although there are exceptions. In foreign language films, this seems to be even more pronounced for me. I like to have a clear sense of what's going on. I also saw another movie from this director, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, and it was very good as well. This guy seems to have made a lot of quality films in a short period of time. I look forward to seeing more. After loving this and 3 Women a couple days ago, I'm not sure what is happening to me. I need to go get drunk or at least watch something manly tonight.

Watched Godzilla in the theaters two weekends ago and I rate it 8 1/2 out of 10. Very nice movie to watch over all, although the monster scenes are relatively few and they use too much hiding and cuts from them for my taste.

3 Women (1977)

This was not at all the kind of movie I expected. For quite a while, I wasn't even sure if this was some kind of horror film. I'm still not sure to be honest. I thought it was very creepy, tense, and even somewhat disturbing. It reminded me of something David Lynch might have directed, specifically Mulholland Dr. Both movies create a sort of hypnotic state, except that movie had 2 hot women instead of hideous. It was pretty much about 2 women, played expertly by Shelley Duvall and Sissy Spacek. They play two of the most fascinating characters I've seen. The third women seemed to me to be more of a symbol or omen rather than an actual character. It doesn't end with any resolutions leaving the viewer with more questions than answers. Sometimes than works for me, sometimes not. Here, it was the only way to end it properly. I thought it was a pretty masterful film and a big surprise. I look forward to seeing it again in a couple months with my wife.

I just saw this post. Good man.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Stagecoach

Quite good, although i'm not a huge Westerns guy. This film has incredible direction, and a certain action sequence towards the end is stunning. This is definitely a landmark western, but my enjoyment was a bit limited. I love Sergio Leone's westerns, and a few others like Unforgiven. But as a whole Westerns were never a favorite genre of mine.

The Fault in our Stars (2014)

I am going to do a full review on this but I have just been to see this at an advanced screening at my local Cineworld and honestly I think it is just lovely. Everyone is wonderful in and plays their parts well and I honestly don't think there was a dry eye in the house.

My rating: 9/10

Stagecoach

Quite good, although i'm not a huge Westerns guy. This film has incredible direction, and a certain action sequence towards the end is stunning. This is definitely a landmark western, but my enjoyment was a bit limited. I love Sergio Leone's westerns, and a few others like Unforgiven. But as a whole Westerns were never a favorite genre of mine.
My second favorite John Wayne movie (the first being Rio Bravo). Stagecoach features one of the most dangerous and impressive stunts I've ever seen. The video below is rather poor quality, but you can still see the stunt I'm talking about, where the guy could've easily been trampled to death.

Last night i watched Maleficent because I am a big fan of Angelina Jolie. I am going to rate movie 8/10.

Unregistered User

Last Year at Marienbad (1961)

Honestly, after 15 mins of this film i thought i was going to struggle with it. How wrong i was.In fact, i watched it again the next day. An almost masterpiece.

+

On Moonlight Bay (1951)

The Man who knew too much (1956)

Ive watched a good bit of Hitchcock recently and expected big things from this but found it a let down. A decent ending but i found the film too slow and lacked any kind of suspense. Its still Hitchcock though.

The Towering Inferno (1974)

Really good disaster movie with such a great cast performing brilliantly. A very watchable film. It'll probably not make my 70's list but it'd be nice to see it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Last Year at Marienbad (1961)

Honestly, after 15 mins of this film i thought i was going to struggle with it. How wrong i was.In fact, i watched it again the next day. A masterpiece.

Made a little correction for ya.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Silver Streak (1976)

I can crack up a bit just looking at Gene Wilder. Richard Pryor doesn't show up until the movie is half over. Just an ok comedy for me.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

Edge of Tomorrow: There's a more in-depth review about the movie on my website, available in my signature, but as always, I will summarize my thoughts here: I think that I would full-heartedly recommend this film. The acting is absolutely inspired, filled with chemistry, charm, and wit. The special-effects are great, the pacing and directing was very well done, keeping it from ever dragging or feeling tedious, and the story is certainly unique. If it's not the best movie that I have seen this year in theaters, it's in the top-two, feuding with X-Men: Days of Future Past.

REWATCH

Due to circumstances concerning the folks trying to sell their house, my brother and I had to be out of the house today. Which means the best way for me and my brother to kill time is to go to the movies. This being the first trip to the theater for my brother in about 5 years. Seeing the look on his face during one particular scene was priceless!

One Day (2011)

I am a bit of a sucker for anything that involves Jim Sturgess and Anne Hathway. Both actors are for me just wonderful in almost everything I have seen them in and this was no exception. Yes it was a little contrived at time but to me that just didn't matter. I loved seeing the evolution of the characters and how everything always came back to one day (god that is corny and not even planned).

My rating: 8/10