Cobpyth's Top 101 Favorite Feature Films

→ in
Tools    

Is Tarantino your favorite director? Or do you not really have a favorite and like a bunch of them? I still haven't seen Basterds
He'd definitely rank as one of my top 10 favorite directors of all time at this point and that says a lot, because he's probably at the peak of his career right now. I'd say Tarantino and PTA are my two absolute favorite modern directors at the moment. A new project from one of those two is probably the most exciting cinematic news possible for me.

If you'd ask me who my favorite director of ALL TIME is, though, I'd probably answer with Stanley Kubrick or Martin Scorsese (who's also still in good form) at this point in my life. There are a bunch of others who also come close to that title (Hitchcock, Altman, Wilder, Chaplin, Woody Allen, Coen Brothers, ...), but Kubrick and Scorsese truly are my two biggest favorites. I still have plenty of other directors to explore in a deeper sense before I'll feel confident to actually draft a top 10 list of my favorite directors, though. I'll get back to you in two or three years from now with a proper list, based on a much broader and richer experience of movie watching.

I think that by this point in time I have can make up a list of top 10 favorite animation directors and 10 favorite live action directors.

Well, Inglourious Basterds is my favorite movie of all time so I can't approve more. What a masterpiece, it has everything I want in a movie. Intelligent dialogue, sarcasm and irony, absolutely fantastic dialogue, an ensemble of fantastic actors, Diane Kruger and Melanie Laurent that non only are absolutely gorgeous, but also give some incredible performances. I love that he changed history, not many director would have the courrage to do so and it perfectly works. We see 2 different kind of nazis in Landa and Zoller. One is just an horrible human being that uses the nazi because they're what is stronger at this point and the other is the typical nazi that was raised in that state of mind and actually think it's legitimate. What a great movie.

I think that by this point in time I have already made up a list of top 10 favorite animation directors and 10 favorite live action directors.
I can't understand this attitude and I feel sorry for anyone as a film watcher who has it.

I do not understand what do you mean. It's basically a joke saying that I have watched so much animation that I would do separate lists. It's a different art-form anyway, a different field. Though there are some movies that mix the two up (Avatar).

After I do my top 100 animated films list I will also do a top 100 live action films list (though not on a new thread, of course, just post it in my thread in one post). Of these CGI movies which mix up the two artforms I have none that I would put in a favorites list.

If you do not understand why do you feel sorry?

Great start to the top 50 with Inglourious Basterds , I like Django Unchained more, bit it's been a long time since I've seen the former.

I do not understand what do you mean. It's basically a joke saying that I have watched so much animation that I would do separate lists. It's a different art-form anyway, a different field. Though there are some movies that mix the two up (Avatar).

After I do my top 100 animated films list I will also do a top 100 live action films list (though not on a new thread, of course, just post it in my thread in one post). Of these CGI movies which mix up the two artforms I have none that I would put in a favorites list.

If you do not understand why do you feel sorry?
Maybe I misinterpreted your post, but coupled with your post in the 70s thread where you said you don't think any of the movies you haven't seen would displace any in your 25. I would hate to feel this way personally, I want to keep exploring and be continuously surprised by movies, and hope to keep finding movies that make me reconsider what I have already seen and become my favourites

I prefer Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill, mainly because they're more fun to re-watch over and over, but, quality wise, Inglorious Basterds is right up there.

It's not surprising that it's so beloved by many on here, since it's essentially about the power of cinema. Not only does the magic of movies allow QT to re-write history and kill off one of the most evil human beings to ever live, but, even within the movie itself, so much revolves around cinema: characters within the film who are actors and actresses playing an important part in the proceedings; the big finale within the burning theater; the Nazi propaganda films and how it exaggerates the German sniper's accomplishments, altering his history in much the same way that QT does with Inglorious Basterds.

It really is a great film and one of QT's most accomplished efforts. Pulp Fiction will probably always be his greatest film, but I can't fault Lt. Aldo Raine or anyone else who thinks that Inglorious Basterds "just might be (his) masterpiece."

49. Some Like It Hot (1959)

Another Wilder film appears! This was one of the first classic films I watched when I started exploring the older decades of cinema. I watched it, because I just wanted to know if Marilyn Monroe really was that special. I had to see with my own eyes whether she deserved her status as probably the most famous sex icon of our modern age or not. The answer is of course "YES"! She's absolutely amazing. I've watched some other films of her (like Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and The Seven Year Itch) and time and time again, she steals the show with her charisma, her (seeming) innocence and her plain sensuality and femininity! She truly knew how to capture the cuteness, the helplessness, the hilarity, and above all, the sexappeal most of her roles required. The kind of characters she mostly played may not be as respectful or dramatically complex as the characters that were portrayed by screen legends like Bette Davis or Katharine Hepburn, but Monroe was absolutely fantastic in what she did, which was making audiences laugh, making them relate to her characters (even if there's not that much substance to them) and making men want to be with her. She was an absolute star!

Some Like It Hot is by far the best film Monroe was a major part of, in my opinion. It's actually one of my favorite comedies of all time! The reason for that is that Monroe's presence is merely one of the many things that makes this film so great. In fact, she's not even the best thing about it (which says a lot about how good this film really is)! It's an eventful, well constructed, well directed and perfectly written comedy (by the legendary Billy Wilder) and beside Marilyn Monroe's presence, we also get two awesome performances from Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon.
Marilyn Monroe plays the depressed, naive and adorable Sugar Kane Kowalczyk, who is the singer (and occasional ukulele player) of an all-girl band, and Lemmon and Curtis play Jerry and Joe, who are two musicians on the run for the mob, after they witnessed a massacre. They dress themselves as women and infiltrate into the all-girl band, which leads to a whole bunch of memorable comical and sexually tensive moments!

The strengths of this film are its script and the performances (especially Jack Lemmon's comical face expressions throughout are unforgettable). This film has one of the highest laugh/minute ratios ever for me personally, but there's also a certain melancholy to it all. The film basically features a couple of very desperate people, who just don't care anymore about their ego after a while and take a run with all the conventions that are set by society. They have fallen so deep that they'll eventually do almost everything and accept pretty much everyone to get what they want (mostly love). In the end they accept and embrace eachother, which causes a genuine happy ending, although it shouldn't be taken too seriously of course (which is fine for a comedy). This desperation causes a bunch of funny, tensive and heartfelt moments along the way! The film may never truly leave its comical mood, but I still feel related to these characters every time I watch it.

All in all, this film is just a hell of a ride. As I said before, I absolutely LOVE eventful films and this is definitely one of those. The story is also set in the depression era and Wilder decided to give the picture a wonderful old-fashioned look and atmosphere (while also cleverly mocking the social and cultural standards of those times), which is another aspect that I really love about this film. Let's just say that everything about this film just clicks with me (and many other people). It never fails to make me happy during rewatches and I'm sure it never will.

---------------------------------------

I am a little lazy right now to read the review haha, I will later. But one thing for sure is that it's a great movie and one of the funniest if not the funniest classic comedy I have seen.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Some Like it Hot is a great flick.

"Nobody's Perfect"

Love Some Like it Hot. But when I was watching Gentlemen Prefer Blondes I was leering at Jane Russell more then Marilyn.
Jane Russell is also a very attractive lady, I have to admit. She can't beat Marilyn's 'Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend' number, though.

I think Some Like It Hot is the greatest comedy of all time. And Jack Lemmon gives perhaps the best comedic performance of all time too. One of my top-20 favorite movies. Like you said, it never gets old. If I'm having a bad day or if I'm feeling depressed, all I have to do is watch Some Like It Hot and I'll be in a better mood by the end of it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Some like it Hot is also a top 20 film for me, but you already knew that. I was hoping it would be our 3rd HOF winner, but I'm scared of what the panel may do,with it in their rankings.