Game of Thrones: Season 4

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Hmm, this show is now beginning to really show its cracks. Characters have so little breathing room, because all those plots have to be developed and keep moving forward. As a result, you come to care very little for the characters, save maybe a couple of them and those are the ones who are best developed. The rest: I couldn't care less. Theon, the Iron Islanders, Sam, Brienne, Varys, even ******* Stannis: just be done with them. Slim down the plot a little, give the remaining characters more room to develop and the show will be better for it.

If it keeps going like this after season 4, I might call it quits at the end of S5.
I've had this exact criticism about another show, but I think GoT does a really good job developing it's characters especially with the amount of plot it was to deal with. We still get those little moments between characters that allow us in . I'd say this is one of the better shows for balancing character and plot.

I don't come into this thread much because I am always an episode behind, but I've caught up. Silly really since I've read the books and so far there is nothing that would have been spoiled for me.

Last episode was fantastic. I still want them to forget the books completely regarding The Hound and Arya and give them their own show. In a perfect world this would happen.

I can't stand Sansa.I desperately hoped it would have been her that dumped the crazy broad over the edge. At least then she'd start to be interesting.
Be curious to see if this sentiment has changed given recent events.

Yeah, that WOULD be a dead giveaway, wouldn't it? (Pun intended.)
I've needed help to get you since I'm Spanish. Now I know what a "dead giveaway" is, thanks, hahaha.

Oh man, I can't keep talking about this, I need to get over it

We've gone on holiday by mistake
EPISODE 8 SPOILERS!!

So how are the TV crowd feeling about Tyrion's survival chances?

Surely Jamie is going to attempt to save his brothers life somehow?

What scenarios result in non execution for Tyrion now?

Stannis? Is he heading for KL or the Wall or what? Could an attack on KL save Tyrion?

Could Tyrion still be sent to the NW, as originally agreed by Twin?

The outlook looks grim for my favourite character.

EPISODE 8 SPOILERS!!

So how are the TV crowd feeling about Tyrion's survival chances?

Everything points to him dying so Im guessing he'll live.

Surely Jamie is going to attempt to save his brothers life somehow?

Thats my guess unless Bronn does a heroic act

What scenarios result in non execution for Tyrion now?

Joining the Hill Tribe Clan again, Stannis, or joining with Danarys. Honestly Ive no idea.

Stannis? Is he heading for KL or the Wall or what? Could an attack on KL save Tyrion?

No. Stannis couldnt give two squats about Tyrion, and probably hates him for repelling him last season.

Could Tyrion still be sent to the NW, as originally agreed by Twin?

No. Everything was done too publicly.

The outlook looks grim for my favourite character.

He'll be fine! Look at Ned Stark, and how everyone was expecting the Kal Drogo invasion. One double cross by Littlefinger with a touch of Joffrey idiocy, and an old witch doctor woman later theyre both dead. Its just too obvious Tyrion could die, so he's safe. Imo.

The result of the Oberyn/Mountain fight was a little unclear.

WARNING: "Oberyn/Mountain book stuff" spoilers below
It appeared as though the Mountain rolled over and died too, as the actor was completely motionless. This isn't exactly how it goes in the book. Suffice it to say, he's not dead, but he's going to be in a fair bit of agony. The spear was poison-tipped (which they also didn't really show last night).

Of course, they could just take the path of least resistance and suggest that he died. But it seems that would complicate the ruling on Tyrion, no? That's why I thought it was important to show more clearly that the Mountain technically survives the fight.
Brilliant. Did my second most anticipated chapter absolute justice

If he were to die, that would invalidate the Ser Robert Strong theory and I personally like the idea of Gregor / Sandor showdown in the trial by combat (if you subscribe to the thought he was the Gravedigger in Quiet Isles). I think they've left it open, a lot of non-readers questioned the outcome since they both died - guess softens blow. They showed spear wipe down, considering the reveal of the Purple Wedding, i'm happy they'll mention it was poisoned eventually and course will resume as per books. Question I curious on is if they'll lend any credence to the idea that Tywin ***** his guts out because Oberyn had poisoned him before?

WARNING: "Book / show thought" spoilers below
Will Bronn replace the/a Kettleback as he's shown more in league with Cersei and he's fan favourite, get some revenge for Tyrion or continue Ser Illyn's role and travel with Jaime?

Guess they scrapped the kiss then?

In the Beginning...
If he were to die, that would invalidate the Ser Robert Strong theory and I personally like the idea of Gregor / Sandor showdown in the trial by combat (if you subscribe to the thought he was the Gravedigger in Quiet Isles). I think they've left it open, a lot of non-readers questioned the outcome since they both died - guess softens blow. They showed spear wipe down, considering the reveal of the Purple Wedding, i'm happy they'll mention it was poisoned eventually and course will resume as per books. Question I curious on is if they'll lend any credence to the idea that Tywin ***** his guts out because Oberyn had poisoned him before?
I think all of this is still pretty likely.

WARNING: "Book 4/5" spoilers below
I think it's pretty clear that Robert Strong is the re-animated Mountain (possibly with the head of Robb Stark, if you consider that "Rob Stark" is German for Rob Strong... but I think that's perhaps a bit too much of a stretch). I also think it's pretty clear that the Hound is the gravedigger in the Quiet Isles. Even if the show is cutting out extraneous material, they can't just dismiss Robert Strong and the Hound.

Beyond that, they've also included Qyburn, meaning the set up for Robert Strong is there. So I'm betting they'll do it. And anyway, it's likely we'll be meeting Doran Martell, et. al. next season, and Tywin has to send the Mountain's head off to them (or is it the High Septon's head?). It's all there, it just seemed a bit unclear in the episode if the Mountain was dead or not.

In the Beginning...
I really wish I had $20,000 to blow... because I would sooooo jump on this.

George R.R. Martin wants to kill you for $20,000
A gory death at the hands of Game of Thrones mastermind George R.R. Martin can be yours for the one-time price of $20,000. The death will, of course, be of the text-only variety.

The honor is reserved for a top-tier donator on Martin's Prizeo crowdfunding campaign, raising money to support the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary and Food Depot in Martin's adopted hometown of Santa Fé, New Mexico. The winner will choose their character's position in the fictional world (lordling, maester, peasant, whore, etc.) and meet a grisly death that could rival the Red Viper's head-squashing end.

A system of cells interlinked
Hmm, this show is now beginning to really show its cracks. Characters have so little breathing room, because all those plots have to be developed and keep moving forward. As a result, you come to care very little for the characters, save maybe a couple of them and those are the ones who are best developed. The rest: I couldn't care less. Theon, the Iron Islanders, Sam, Brienne, Varys, even ******* Stannis: just be done with them. Slim down the plot a little, give the remaining characters more room to develop and the show will be better for it.

If it keeps going like this after season 4, I might call it quits at the end of S5.
Just call it quits now, because no, they aren't going to blow off the rest of the characters and story arcs to focus on your favorite characters. Your above post seems to infer that Theon's character isn't developed well. Perhaps you can explain what you think character development means to you, because that claim is directly out to lunch. For a supporting character, Theon is ridiculously well-developed when compared to pretty much any other show. Also, I say we need more Brienne, too. Not less. She is one of the only truly honorable characters in the entire thing, for crying out loud.

This is already the pared-down version of this material - saying it should be pared down even more...seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of the source to me.

there's a frog in my snake oil
MY EYES!

(Had to put a calming documentary about slavery in ancient Egypt on after to this, just to cleanse the palette!)

I rewatched the episode and man o man...... definitely a great pay ofo to the season long wait for this fight. Not too many shows can do that. I hope this inspires other great fantasy/sci-fi novel series to be made into tv. I mean if they can justify funding True Blood then remake Battlefield Earth ffs!

Ba Dum Ch!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Was a great episode I thought. Had a real movie quality to it.

Obviously it's annoying that we don't find out Tyrion's fate etc and it was just a 1 place episode but still great.

Im about halfway thru episode 9.

I think how they use the CGI on this show is brilliant. I havent read the books, but assume the battle scenes were described in grand scale. Unless you have a Peter Jackson LOTR type budget its not possible for a tv show to pull that off financially. Theyre smart with the CGI, and tbph I think CGI should be used sparingly anyway. Otherwise its like your just watching souped-up programming from the Cartoon Network.

WARNING: "Quick bit spoiler" spoilers below
Giants with giant-sized bow and arrows are going to appear in countless D&D sessions in the next coming months

In the Beginning...
Next week's episode might be my most anticipated ever. After watching the brief preview, it's clear that we can expect several cool things in the season finale.

WARNING: "Next Week's Episode" spoilers below
Bran, Meera, Jojen, and Hodor are shown arriving at a large weirwood tree, presumably the lair of the Three-Eyed Crow. Since the episode is entitled "The Children," we can also expect to meet Leaf. (OMGOMGOMG) Unfortunately, it looks like Coldhands has been cut. But I guess that's to be expected.

Someone is shown with a crossbow approaching a door. I think we all know that means Tyrion killing Shae and his father.

It's also clear we're getting the conclusion of the battle at Castle Black, with mounted horseman shown entering the fray. That would be Stannis' army. Perhaps, if Alliser Thorne dies from his wounds, we'll also see Jon elected Lord Commander (hop-skipping over all that election business) and then summarily behead Janos Slynt, since he did a no-no in last night's episode.

Arya and the Hound are shown being attacked. Curious who that might be (given they killed Rorge and Biter a couple episodes back), but in any case, it looks like Sandor Clegane is on his way out, and Arya will be on her way to Bravos.

The very end of the preview shows some snarling dragons in the dark. I have to think that's Daenerys reluctantly sealing her dragons away, which perhaps means we'll see the shepherd again... this time bringing the charred bones of his son.

And finally, although nothing is hinted in the preview, all signs point to Lady Stoneheart in the finale. It's been teased by a few members of the cast and, chronologically, this is the time to reveal it. Not to mention it's a helluva of a cliffhanger.

Oh yes. This finale is going to be phenomenal.

The Adventure Starts Here!
You know, Sleezy, I am HOPING for ALL of that stuff to come out in the finale, but as I watched last night's episode, I kept thinking, "We're not going to see half the stuff I want to see happen in by the end of this season..."

Just how long is this season finale, anyway?

If they fit HALF that stuff in, I'll be happy ... and I think most book folks would agree on which of those half things we should definitely see this season, not next...

Brilliant. On reflection, although I expected a different ending was glad they kept focus right. Next weeks is going to be jam packed though!

Sad to see Grenn in the tunnel, knew his fate as soon as he was sent there. Thorne had a great character retribution. Hopefully, the kid (obviously) firing that arrow, rather than Jon wondering if it was him, will remove some emo self reflection - will have enough of that with 'where to whores go?'

For every giant riding a mammoth, wanted a cloaked individual riding an Elk. If only because it keeps hope Benjen is alive!

(Not sure why this originally posted in listening thread)