Reading Tab

Tools    

Streets of Laredo
by: Larry McMurtry

Since many of my favorite films are westerns, I decided to try out my first western novel a couple of years. When searching for recommendations, Lonesome Dove seemed to pop up the most, so I bought it and read it and immediately fell in love with it. I now consider it one of my favorite books. It's full of adventure, romance, action, humor, heartbreak. It features a great big cast of fully-realized characters. It's beautifully written, contains great dialogue and pathos. Despite being a very lengthy book, it's a fast read and I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to try something different. (The mini-series, starring Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones, is also very good and quite faithful to the source material.)

Due to the popularity of the novel, McMurtry wrote three more books in the series: Streets of Laredo, a sequel, and two prequels: Comanche Moon and Dead Man's Walk. Well, I've just finished reading Streets of Laredo, and although I enjoyed it and I think it's a good book, it doesn't come close to reaching the heights of Lonesome Dove. Apparently a lot of readers think Streets of Laredo is hatefully written, with all the senseless violence in the plot, but I thought that fit in with the themes of the novel. After all, the Old West was a dangerous, violent, lawless place, and McMurtry does a fine job of portraying that. The book lacks the heart and humor of its predecessor, though, and the writing is nowhere near as strong.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I totally agree about Lonesome Dove. I read it myself and loved it -- and I'd never read a western before. I then started reading Dead Man's Walk and got about 1/4 of the way into it before realizing I wasn't really all that interested in it. Not at all like Lonesome Dove. Pity, really, because I really enjoyed LD a lot...

I just finished rereading An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon (book 7 in her Outlander series), in anticipation of book 8 (Written in My Own Heart's Blood) due out June 10. It's been five years since that previous book so I had forgotten a lot and was glad I reread it. But I still have two and a half weeks left, so I'm reading Stephen King's Lisey's Story right now in the meantime.

I started Ready Player One, at the recommendation of several folks here, but I found it rather dull. I'm nearly halfway done with it and I just don't seem to care whether I finish it or not. I had hoped it would be mostly about the aftermath of the contest, but it's still taking us through the stages of the contest itself. And because I know the outcome of the contest already (it's told to us fairly early in the book), I now just want to get past that and move on.

For those of you who loved it, why did you love it? I don't get the appeal, frankly.

so I'm reading Stephen King's Lisey's Story right now in the meantime.
So far that's my least favorite Stephen King book. I know couples develop their own sayings and words sometimes, much like an inside joke, but King's insistence on peppering that cutsey language throughout the narrative drove me crazy.

So far that's my least favorite Stephen King book. I know couples develop their own sayings and words sometimes, much like an inside joke, but King's insistence on peppering that cutsey language throughout the narrative drove me crazy.
I'm only about 5% into it so far, and the jury is still out, I admit. But a friend of mine really enjoyed it and recommended it (and I'm a huge King fan -- I have several shelves of King novels including this one), so I figured I'd give it a go. I admit I've gotten sucked into most of his other novels a lot faster and more easily than this one so far.

While Beauty Slept by Elizabeth Blackwell.

This is more of a historical take on the story of "Sleeping Beauty" and it is far better than the fairy tale. Sometimes I have a hard time getting into a book due to the writing style and story line of the book. The synopsis sounds great on the inside front sleeve or the back of the paperback but once I dive in, it just seems boring. That is not true about this book. I enjoy historical fiction and I enjoy fairy tales and mythological stories. The writers words are smooth and concise. The story follows along beautifully. This story is told by a young girl who came to work in the castle before Rose (Beauty) is even born. It talks about the trials of the King and Queen to begot an heir. It has battles, a bit of fertility worship, revenge, romance and finally what succumbs to make Beauty fall. I don't want to give out to much but I think its a great read for those who enjoy the topics mentioned above.

Anyone here read Lee Child's Jack Reacher books? Massive fan of them. Easy-to-read thrillers centring around a former military policeman-turned-drifter.

I'm sure everyone has heard of them as the film Jack Reacher stemmed from them, though Tom Cruise was an abysmal casting choice to play someone who's 6' 5".

I bought two books for my kindle app last night that I did own in physical form but lost in a move many years ago, both Bill Bryson books of:

Down Under
A Walk in the Woods

I love Bryson as a writer and these two books are for me two of his best.

I'm about 75% into the book now. I wouldn't call their phrases cutesy. In fact, if there IS anything generically cute about them, it quickly fades as the strangeness of the story grows. And that kinda seems like half the idea.

I like King books that get into a character's head like this (well, most of them do, I suppose). It'd make a horrible movie, precisely because you need all that internal thought for the story to work, but it's turning out to be a decent book.

His new one, Mr. Mercedes comes out in two days.

I've been reading the D'Artagnan Romances by Alexandre Dumas I put pictures of in the Personal Pictures thread about a week ago.

Very detailed, very interesting. Unlike anything I've read before too, it's extremely unique in the way it's written.
Might be down to the translation from French to English, but even so, the wording is brilliant.

1. The Three Musketeers
2. Twenty Years After
3. The Vicomte De Bragellone: Ten Years Later
4. Louise De La Vallière
5. The Man In The Iron Mask

The 3 books I have are titled after the first, second and fifth parts because they're the most well known, but they contain all 5 parts within the 3 novels.

The Three Musketeers first paragraph:
On the first Monday of the month of April, 1625, the small town of Meung, the birthplace of the author of Romance Of The Rose, appeared to be in a state of revolution, as complete as if the Huguenots were come to make a second siege of La Rochelle.
Many of the townsmen, observing the flight along the high street of women who left their children to squall at the doorsteps, hastened to don their armour, and, fortifying their courage, which was inclined to fail, with a musket or a partisan, proceeded to the Inn Of The Jolly Miller, to which a vast and accumulating mob was hastening with intense curiosity.

I've finally finished a book!

Freud: General Psychological Theory

This is my first Freud, with a collection of many of his shorter essays. The essays tend to finish with an analogy to same crazy sexual theory of Freud's, usually the most interesting part. Since I know nothing on the subject of psychology the science was less interesting to me, but the theories were always interesting. Best parts were Freuds examination of the unconscious. I don't really like reading readings anymore so I'll just say I will read more Freud, or as linespalsy would say:

^full disclosure, my book rating system is stolen from pimp 2.0's old movie tab posts. popcorn just doesn't feel right for books and my own preference is for a much simpler 3 "star" system (bad, okay, good).

Everything I've finished lately (including a couple of re-reads) is a , but I'll rank them from favorite to least.

Nature's Metropolis: Chicago and the Great West by William Cronon
As You Like It by William Shakespeare
A Brief and True Report of the New Found Land of Virginia, by Thomas Harriot
Los Gusanos: A Novel by John Sayles
Adult Manga: Culture and Power in Contemporary Japanese Society by Sharon Kinsella

Engraving of Powhatan man and woman "sitting at meate" based on a drawing by John White,
first governor of the "lost colony" of Roanoke and grandfather of Virginia Dare.

Ashdoc's book review---Inside the kingdom---

Saudi Arabia in the shadow of 9/11

With this book Robert Lacey returns again to the land he has written about in a bygone , much gentler era . That era was when the US-Saudi special relationship was in full flower , with the Saudis satisfying America's endless hunger for more and more oil , and themselves enjoying an endless windfall of petrodollars .

'' Inside the kingdom '' is thus a sequel to his earlier book '' The kingdom '' , written in 1980--over thirty years ago--and the geopolitical tectonic plates have changed dramatically since then.....

........For Saudi Arabia sent what Lacey calls '' 15 flying Saudis ''( out of 19 terrorists ) crashing into the twin towers of New York city to change our world forever.....
That they were sent not by the Saudi govt , but by a crazy Saudi billionaire called Osama Bin Laden does not completely exempt the Saudi Govt from the charge of fomenting terrorism , for--as Lacey effectively brings out in this book--the Saudi govt was responsible for creating the system which produced crazies like Osama and his minions .

What a change from 1980 !! In the earlier book '' The kingdom '' ,Lacey was kindler , gentler to the Saudis--trying to present their primitive tribal society , with its draconian laws , in a much better light than possible......
How draconian are the rules that govern that kingdom is seen from the fact that inspite of presenting the kingdom in a good light , that book was banned in Saudi Arabia......

Yet there is no denying that Lacey did try--for example , the fact that Saudi Arabians , inspite of having all the petro-dollars did not know the technology to drill and refine the oil and had to depend on the westerners for everything was dismissed by him by saying '' Is the king ashamed of the fact that he cannot make clothes ?? That his tailor is the one on whom he has to depend on for making clothes ??.... No , for the king is king , and the tailor is too lowly , inspite of his skills . If this tailor doesn't do the job , somebody else will !! ''.....what an analogy !!

The reason why the book was banned ?? Lacey had written about the differences between the princes who rule the land--something that the Saudis could hardly afford to allow to come out in the open , as they have to present a united front before their people--an all important fact in an absolute monarchy....

Result of the book being banned--the book became a success in other parts of the arab world !!.....and presumably Lacey earned a lot of money.....
No wonder in this book , Lacey wonders if there will be a ban on this book too.....
Banned books sell fast.....

So how was Saudi Arabia responsible for the system which produced crazies ?? The answer goes back to 1978.....
At that time , the Saudi govt was slowly opening up the kingdom . Women were being allowed to get higher education , got jobs , and even fashion shows were being held .

But the change was too much for a crazy called Juhayman and his bunch of fanatics , and they attacked and took control of the grand mosque of mecca . It was only after a fight which resulted in many lives lost that the soldiers were able to take back the mosque .
And around the same time the Iranian revolution happened.....
Fundamentalists took control in Iran , and Saudis wondered if the same would happen in Arabia......

All this led the Saudi govt to seek a closer relationship with the ulema ( the religious scholars ) , so that they would not revolt against the kingdom . The ulema agreed to support the kingdom--but for a price . Whatever modernity the kingdom had achieved was to be scaled back. No fashion shows , women to be in complete purdah , above all the students in schools , colleges and universities to be forced to learn a total fundamentalist strain of thought--one which spewed total hatred on anything non-muslim , especially America , and taught students to hate secularism ,openly calling for the destruction of those states which espouse secularism , and also jews and christians . Religious classes became mandatory , and classes which taught science , maths etc were greatly reduced .

Not only did this produce religious fanatics , but also people who were unable to get any jobs in the real world , as their education did not give them the skills . Such frustrated people easily turn towards fundamentalism......

Once the ulema gained control , anybody and everybody who espoused secularism was under the scanner . One Saudi chemistry teacher who openly opposed to new laws was first warned by being told by his colleagues that they were very worried about the thoughts in his mind--next , when he refused to stop lecturing about his views , he was threatened with removal from job and arrest by the religious police.

As the insidious effects of the new teaching began to permeate , other incidents occurred . One female teacher who dared talk of women's rights was spat upon by her female students ( yes female !! ) for deviating them from religion . Another female who wrote a ' secular ' piece in a newspaper was arrested , put in solitary confinement for two months ,until she recanted her thoughts .

Yes ,Lacey says that control over females is the foremost thought of the Saudi govt , for it is a tribal society , and the cohesion of a tribal society depends on keeping women in tight leash .

.......And to do that are specially appointed religious police ( muttawa ) who not only rap any female walking on the street with a hard cane if they feel she is exposing too much of her body , but arrest for adultery , any female who is walking with a male who is not her relative--or cannot produce papers proving that he is her relative . Besides that , all shopkeepers have to close their shops five times for namaz , or risk being arrested . Belief in god is not according to the will of the people , but it is enforced by the govt......

And the terror of the religious police is everywhere to ensure that . As they walk on the street , they look like a posse of long-bearded Juhaymans--the crazy who took control of the mecca mosque .

And how are the craziest of the fundamentalists made ??--well some of them have to be bred from childhood . A former fundamentalist tells Lacey that since his childhood he was told stories as to how when he died he would go to either heaven or hell , and where he went would be determined by what he had done against the infidels . His keepers used to make him sleep in a freshly dug grave , and imagine that he had just died and was being buried . And how the fires of hell were waiting for him when he woke up , if he had not hated the infidels . He used to have nightmares of hell after this......

Another target of the muttawa are the shias , who populate the oil-rich eastern province , and are actually the rightful owners of the oil that it contains . They are regularly trampled upon , and Iran , which is a shia power , takes advantage of their disaffection to try foment trouble . So far due to the fear of the para-military forces ,the shia have kept quiet . Also , they are given jobs in ARAMCO , the Saudi oil company , and this allows them to survive , though their financial condition is not as good as the sunnis .

Sometimes the muttawa go crazy themselves , as in case of the girls' school which caught fire . They refused to let the fire brigade inside , saying that the men in the fire brigade had no right to touch girls , as they were not their relatives , and let the girls burn--15 died .

Lacey has said in an interview that the govt would like to ship off the fundamentalists to some other part of the globe , if possible . But given their numbers , just how much of the population will that mean ??

It was after 9/11 that some changes in the school and college curriculum ware made in favour of non-religious topics , but will that compensate for the damage done to minds ??

Lacey says that 9/11 was done by deliberately using Saudi suicide-bombers by Osama , as he wanted to create a rift between the US and Saudi Arabia , his homeland . If so ,he has partly succeeded , for Saudi students , who earlier could easily get a visa into the United States , now find it very difficult to do so ,thus sowing bitterness in their minds .

No such bitterness is seen in the minds of many Saudis towards Lacey , and indeed he seems to be on talking terms with high and mighty on one hand , and humble and humbler Saudis on the other , as they open their hearts to him . That is the result of years of staying in Saudi Arabia and making friendships with people . To be honest , Lacey makes a honest attempt to give us a ' human face ' to this mysterious land . The very fact that secular people are arrested is an indication of the fact that they do exist , and their tribe is growing , according to Lacey . When Saudis do go out on foreign vacations ( and all Saudis do , considering their petrodollars ), Saudis behave more freely , with their women being unveiled .

Lacey's conclusion is that the Saud dynasty is our best bet for stability in future ,whatever be its shortcomings , for collapse of it will bring total anarchy to our oil supplies--if it falls , we may as well be ready to travel to our destinations in bullockcart . Unlike in India ,the Saudi monarchy openly takes bribes in defence deals , as seen from what happened in the Al-Yamamah deal for Tornado fighter jets . Such are the perks of royalty......

One must say many thanks to Robert Lacey for opening up the Saudi land to us by this book--a land I may say is most important , as our economy depends on the oil it supplies , and thus makes it an indispensible nation .

Verdict--fascinating .

I'm about 75% into the book now. I wouldn't call their phrases cutesy. In fact, if there IS anything generically cute about them, it quickly fades as the strangeness of the story grows. And that kinda seems like half the idea.

I like King books that get into a character's head like this (well, most of them do, I suppose). It'd make a horrible movie, precisely because you need all that internal thought for the story to work, but it's turning out to be a decent book.

His new one, Mr. Mercedes comes out in two days.
I quite liked Lisey's Story. Like you say Aus, the internal thought processes are the thing that makes most of King's books so engrossing ...and such poor films. I read Mr Mercedes on holiday last week - I always treat myself to a brand new book from the airport shop and I couldn't pass over a new King It's a straightforward thriller, but well written and well plotted.

Anyone here read Lee Child's Jack Reacher books? Massive fan of them. Easy-to-read thrillers centring around a former military policeman-turned-drifter.

I'm sure everyone has heard of them as the film Jack Reacher stemmed from them, though Tom Cruise was an abysmal casting choice to play someone who's 6' 5".
Yes, we've read them all in our house. My husband likes those kind of books, but I don't often read crime thriller ones, but I do like Reacher as a character.

We both read a lot, I read anything that's well written, but my hubbie solely reads crime thrillers. There are some really horribly written crime books, but he just ploughs through them all

Basic Techniques of Combinatorial Theory by Daniel I.A. Cohen

Finished this a while ago but I've been doing more problems from it lately. Most people probably have a little experience with combinatorics from their secondary math education (it gets its name from the binomial coefficients which count the unordered combinations of distinct objects without repeated elements. Factorials are another common example). This book has plenty of other interesting stuff, including generating functions, Ramsey's theorem, and graphs. What sets it apart is the heavy emphasis on proofs (at least 2 for every theorem, one algebraic and one in "plain" English; but many have 3 or 4 including geometric proofs. The author leaves induction for the appendix). The problem set is likewise very proof-heavy. I enjoyed it a lot, not sure what else to say here.

some others I've read recently.

Little Men by Loisa May Alcott
Fortress Conservation by Dan Brockington
Conservation and Globalization by Jim Igoe
The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike

This good old thread...

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton

“Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that's the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be too moved when the birds of his land are singing. Nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him if he gives too much.”

An elderly priest travels from his village to Johannesburg in search of his lost son. The novel is a searing indictment of poverty, worker exploitation and native violence of his native land. It's prose is lucid and easy to understand, but powerful in evoking a sense of indignation. Paton's writing opens up a place that is inhospitable to living, yet portrays his characters with such humanism that despite it's heavy content, still manages to be uplifting and noble. African literature at its best.

The Tunnel by Ernesto Sabato

“And it was as if the two of us had been living in parallel passageways or tunnels, never knowing that we were moving side by side, like souls in like times, finally to meet at the end of those passageways before a scene I had painted as a kind of key meant for her alone, as a kind of secret sign that I was there ahead of her and that the passageways finally had joined and the hour for our meeting had come.”

A seemingly senseless act of murder. How can one bring himself to kill the one person he truly loves in his life? Shades of Camus. While Camus's disarming nihilism depicts the act as a mundane occurrence of which the person has no free will (in order words his act was driven by external forces such as time, location, weather, etc.), Sabato's antagonist is a perfectly rational man of considerable intellect, inundated by conflicting thoughts and emotions which he struggles to resolve in the events leading up to the final act. It's not completely senseless or aimless; but perhaps an act of utter conviction, when the person tries to find reasons for every insignificant gesture of his lover, and stumbles upon all the plausible justifications for committing it. Perhaps the only crime which he commits is the crime of reason, when too much reasoning becomes the unreasonable.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
On holiday I read my new book, 'Birth School Metallica Death' part 1 and it was a glorious read. I have read different books on Metallica before but this one was much more insightful. I would recommend it to any Metallica fan, also part 2 is coming out in Spring 2015.

Aura by Carlos Fuentes

A short horror novel that is as melancholic as it is creepy. You can finish it in an hour. If you've seen El Sur (1983), you might get a similar feeling of it's tone and atmosphere. Overall a decent story, but I doubt it's an important work in the literary canon.

A system of cells interlinked

I am about halfway through book three of this series. A bit dated now, but still a fascinating cyberpunk series.