The new wave of DVD

Tools    

Ok...let me just say that I have nothing to do with this particular invention and I'm not exactly gung-ho for it, but here it goes.

Columbia/TriStar has issued the next breed of DVD... the SUPERBIT.

DVDs that are currently on the market are encoded at 3.75 bit rate (normally). This bit rate provides a little bit of room for the film and audio and a lot of room for special features. Well Columbia/TriStar has decided to release the SUPERBIT DVD that is encoded at a 7.3 bit rate, which is all film and no special features. The higher bit rate will add higher resolution (aka sharper picture) and a higher clarity field for DTS and 5.1 (aka the sound is clearer). The main difference is that DVDs now divide disc space between picture, audio, and special features. SUPERBIT divides DVD space into picture and audio only...no special features.

The new discs will hit the market in another few weeks and revamped titles include Air Force One, The Fifth Element, Desperado, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I fought pretty hard against this because I don't think the majority of consumers give a crap about perfect picture and audio if they lose the special features which makes DVD what it is today.

How do all of you feel about this? Anyone in favor of Film-Only DVDs?

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

I agree with you almost completely Laurie -- it's nice to have a crisp, sharp movie that can be paused, moved frame-by-frame, jumped all around (from scene to scene), and zoomed in on, but I would not scrap, for example, a movie on VHS, just to buy the version on DVD, unless the movie was a favorite of mine (in which case I would feel the need to truly own the best version available).

Basically, any DVD that lacks either an Alternative Ending (or Endings), some Deleted Scenes, or some extensive commentary (IE: over/on top of the whole movie), is not a good DVD, in my opinion.

I might take a look at one of the DVDs to see how clear it really is, but it'd have to be really astonishing for me to shun the ones with the features.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Sounds like a pretty stupid idea to me. Of course I would much rather sacrafice quality for special features, mainly because I watch mine on a DVD-ROM so the quality isn't as good as it can get to begin with, but still. The way I see it, most standard TV's can only get so clear. So most people purchasing these DVD's won't see an extreme difference, will they? I for one don't think it will catch on, and that its a stupid idea to begin with.

That's odd -- for me, it seems movies are clearer when viewed through my DVD-ROM, because the monitor is more precise. The details and specifics of things are much easier to see. It's just the nature of the monitor ot be so precise, I was told...though my monitor is only 15 inches.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Yea, I have a 19 inch monitor, but the dpi is crap, so the picture quality isn't the best. Plus my graphics card isn't really ment to play DVD's, so it could look alot better.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Will every player be able to play this new format?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Incompatibility does not yet appear to be a concern, but it has been tested on all makes and models yet.

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I've heard about the Superbit (mainly because The Fifth Element is coming out with it and since its one of my favorite movies of all time I can't wait to get my hands on it). Personally if the picture and audio quality is better I would sacrifice extras. But why shouldn't the company's offer the extras like on another disk for a little extra cost? I know I'd pay it for any movie I actually buy.

superbit, sounding awesome with all the details given laurie, one thing that hate is that it has NO special features ...especially 5th element. that movies deserves LOADS of stuff!!!!!!!!

If they are concerned about a better picture...advise them to talk to tv manufacturers and have them bring down the price of flat screen tv's!

I bought a 21" Sony Trinitron which has the flat screen, and it ROCKS!

I think the whole idea of having dvd's is to be able to have more room for extra's! People have vhs collections that include hundreds of movies. The only reason why people would buy the same movie again is if it offered some new goodies.

For me, as long as the film I want is LBX on DVD then I'll buy it, even if it has no extras. Just to have it in widescreen is extra enough.

Die hard LBX fan,
Steve

Man its such a disappointment to hear that The Fifth Element didn't even have extras on the current DVD. Btw Snakes whats LBX?

Originally posted by Snakes47
If they are concerned about a better picture...advise them to talk to tv manufacturers and have them bring down the price of flat screen tv's!

I bought a 21" Sony Trinitron which has the flat screen, and it ROCKS!

I think the whole idea of having dvd's is to be able to have more room for extra's! People have vhs collections that include hundreds of movies. The only reason why people would buy the same movie again is if it offered some new goodies.

For me, as long as the film I want is LBX on DVD then I'll buy it, even if it has no extras. Just to have it in widescreen is extra enough.

Die hard LBX fan,
Steve
I am as well a die hard LTBX fan . I personally besides LTBX must have extras. I used to have a flat screen TV but I realized the negative part................the picture will eventually burn onto the screen. Trust me!!!

Hehe thanx spdrcr. Duh, shoulda figured that out on my own heh.

jrs1013:
You sure your talking about flat tube tvs and not projection tvs??? I mean I've never heard of that happening to a flat tube tv. What kind of TV was it?