The Videogames Tab

Tools    

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Same here. Papers Please was my 2013 game of the year, after all.
I was going to check out Papers Please but it looked like work and slow. Maybe I'll give it a try.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Gah, why am I hankering to buy DS2 still, when it doesn't even have a pause button. According to at least one reviewer it's the worst possible game to play when you've only got an hour to snatch here and there. And yet I would like to snatch those hours...

How punishing is the saving routine? If I die and drop all my loot do I have to go back immediately / in that session? Or can I boot down and come back later to make amends?

The People's Republic of Clogher
It seems to autosave every few minutes and if you quit the game it'll re-start where you leave off, even when you ALT+F4 on PC. Your souls will be where you die (you keep your loot regardless) so just make sure you don't snuff it before collecting them - You only get one retrieval point.

You're right - No Pause. Quite a few safe areas though.

EDIT - I'm running it with the GeDoSaTo patch and it makes parts of the game look stunning, simply through upscaling and post-processing.

Oo nice, that makes it much more feasible. So long as I can at least quit out in a rush, and only maybe lose a bit of progress, that works for me

*EDIT* Thinking about it, isn't that kinda gameable? IE if you're losing a fight couldn't you quit out and then load back into a more promising previous moment?

But yes, tempted by PC version. Cheaper, moddable... tempted

Never tried quitting when in a fight but I suspect the autosave would load you back in exactly the same place with a huge guy swinging a huger mace at you. You can't pick where you load back in - You just appear wherever you were last playing.

If you've got a half-decent setup (and yours is a lot more than that) the PC version is the way to go, and I say that as having played the PS3 version.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
So the release of Watch Dogs is upon us. There's a midnight release event at my local Gamestop tonight, and I intend to pick up my game then. I have some expectations about this game, but I'd rather play to let you know of them.

If you've got a half-decent setup (and yours is a lot more than that) the PC version is the way to go, and I say that as having played the PS3 version.
Cool, I grabbed a controller dongle t'other day, which seems to work, so I think I'm set

So the release of Watch Dogs is upon us. There's a midnight release event at my local Gamestop tonight, and I intend to pick up my game then. I have some expectations about this game, but I'd rather play to let you know of them.
Cool let us know how you go

I've already bought Watch Dogs, and so has Our Glorious Leader.

25% off on Green Man Gaming as a pre-order, if you're interested, which basically means I paid just over £30 for the deluxe edition. Here's the code - GMG025-MAYBHW-SOSAVE. It's applicable to a few other games too:

Murdered Soul Suspect (which interests me)
Various Nosgoth packs
Wildstar

...and... Dark Souls 2!

Yeah, awesome deal Dave posted there. Jumped all over it. Even bought the deluxe, which I definitely wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm not gonna do the play-at-midnight thing, but I'll definitely give it a go tomorrow after I get home from work. Can't wait!

I am pretty sure our Game stores are doing a midnight launch for Watch Dogs and as I am not in work I don't need to be up for anything in the morning so technically I could go a long and get it tonight but to be honest I am not that desperate to play it.

Does anyone else plan to get it tonight and on which console?

Nah, it's only something I found out about this morning when I was in my GMG account in the vain hope that Watch Dogs keys arrived early. If the buyer benefited as well as the referral-giver it'd be a different matter but they get no extra discounts.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
I am pretty sure our Game stores are doing a midnight launch for Watch Dogs and as I am not in work I don't need to be up for anything in the morning so technically I could go a long and get it tonight but to be honest I am not that desperate to play it.

Does anyone else plan to get it tonight and on which console?
I'm getting it tonight for my PS3. I would get it on the PS4, but sadly I lack the funds to get one at the present moment, as well as a subscription to PS Plus and any other games. I managed to pre-order this game early on, and I hope I don't regret the purchase.

You want to post like me?
Played Windborne for a while. Here's the thing, Chandler Bing. Everything is really cool and smooth but the islands you can currently create are way too small and they always seem to have vast differences in height. There's a semi flat accessible area and then really tall cliffs. It's a weird design choice, or maybe I've just been unlucky with the world generator, but it all seems crammed in and you never get the Minecraft feeling of a giant world to play in. The crafting and building and so on is pretty slick. Stand near a shrine and everything you can create is highlighted in the crafting menu. Then there's a shaper and a smelter you can use to transform materials and construct walls, foundations, window panes, a roof, the list goes on. I'm not that deep yet, but until I get more ground to play on, I don't see the point. Shows promise. Not worth 20 bucks yet.

This is crazy. Utter nonsense.

When you need a flipping spreadsheet to see what you're getting in your game you know that this 'Collector's Edition' thing has gotten out of hand.

So, it's not a video game, but I imagine there'd still be a lot of interest from this crowd: here's a video summary of a giant tabletop "megagame" where dozens of people represent different countries in responding to aliens traveling to our solar system.

Ha!

Ubisoft usually get a pass from me because they generally make good, interesting games. The over-franchising, crap anti-piracy stuff and tons of DLC are, well, just them being Ubisoft.

This? Line crossed.

I just wish they didn't make games I want to buy...

Watch Dogs is *only* 14GB. I was expecting something horrendous like Titanfall's 40+.

I'll probably get a chance to start it this afternoon.

Ok so I did something a bit rash. The GG site was out of CD stock, so I went impulse mad, combined some inheritance cash with Tatty's code, and got the insta-download for £30

So far I have...

-Built a dazzling Japanese/Maori-looking Knight called Zool.
-Immediately got my head bitten off by the belly-beast in the brush. (Seeing if I could sidle past him to the loot).
-Put the hessian-hood of shame back over my re-shrivelled head.
-Died 4 more times, in the tutorial . (Greedily trying to harvest souls from the those other belly beasts by the beach).

I have also exchanged smooth things for poisoned & twinkly rocks. And just reached the olde Mythological hub.

Not the most auspicious start, but I'm having a blast

---

One thing I don't get (amongst many others) is how to execute the guard break and jump attack. The timing seems proper evil. I get it about 1 in 10, which isn't really that useful.

*EDIT* I also really want to play this the 'proper' way, all melee - but I am getting the itch to add a bit of range in there too.