Game of Thrones: Season 4

Tools    

Great performance by Dinklage.

Only issue was the Asha/Yara segment seemed to have a scene cut from it, didn't quite segue cleanly from fight to boats. Hoping for some Reek rhymes soon. Am quite enjoying these book detours as keeps me on my toes whilst not massively detracting from source, even if they're not really amounting to anything.

How did people feel about Shae's betrayal? Worked better than I expected, just as read it really, despite the changes to the dynamic.

WARNING: "Trial by Combat" spoilers below
Apparently some people are expecting it to be Jaime v Bronn, which the training would have been a nice misdirection of

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Damn the site I use got taken down can anyone tell me somewhere else I can watch GOT.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
Dinklage gave an astounding performance during his trial, nailed it. Although i thought for humors sake they should of kept the part of Shae claiming that Tyrion had her call him "My giant of lannister".

The trial by combat won't disappoint and if you paid attention it is easy to surmise who will be fighting, for those who hadn't read the book.

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, I complain of Dinklage getting a bit too stagy sometimes, but man, he absolutely KILLED IT last night. So good!

Finished the episode, and what is there to say but I cant wait for the next one. Nice cliffhanger, and yeah Dinklage has chops. I put Peter Dinklage at the same level as Patrick Stewart as an actor. Not infallible, but strong.

i thought for humors sake they should of kept the part of Shae claiming that Tyrion had her call him "My giant of Lannister".
I also thought it was strange to leave that line out, but not for humor's sake. I remember reading that chapter in the books and feeling my gut drop when Shae said that. It was such a heavy emotional betrayal and seemed like a key moment in Tyrion's emotional arc.

Also enjoyed seeing the Iron Bank. Another gorgeous set piece, as well as another opportunity for Ser Davos to prove how much Stannis needs him. I think he has become my favorite character to watch: "Beggin' your pardon I think it's a problem for now."

A good showing by Oberyn as well. I loved how everyone in the small council chamber stood for Tywin's entrance except him. He didn't even turn his head to look. I think the show does a good job of partially burying these small character details. Makes everything feel a bit richer.

As for the upcoming trial by combat, well, I just cannot wait. Going back to read that chapter again before next week, though they might push it to episode 8 or 9.

There's a slight difference with some Iron Bank stuff...not that spoilery, but I'll wrap it anyway:

WARNING: "The Books, Iron Bank/Stannis stuff" spoilers below
In the books it's the Iron Bank's idea to seek out Stannis rather than the other way around, and it happens a lot later in the process. My brother, in particular, is annoyed by this. But I don't mind it. It makes the Iron Bank seem less threatening, but it makes Stannis (and Davos, because he got to give that awesome speech) a lot more interesting and formidable, too, and I kinda think strengthening a major character is worth more than strengthening an institution.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Meanwhile, I got all excited right in the beginning of the episode during the opening credits. I actually blurted out loud: "They changed stuff!" And yeah, I was alone in the house at the time.

Loved the huge statue in the opening credits, and seeing Braavos show up. I LOVE the opening credits.

I doubt I'd be watching this show if Dinklage wasn't on it. He's just terrific.

In the Beginning...
Yeah, I complain of Dinklage getting a bit too stagy sometimes, but man, he absolutely KILLED IT last night. So good!
I actually thought he got a bit too stage-y last night too. Still a nice performance, but on the whole I like Nikolaj Coster-Waldau a bit better at this point. His scene in the Harrenhal hot tub is still one of my favorites so far.

A system of cells interlinked
Wait, did I spell that wrong...

Nope - it's stagy! Trying to trick me, mister?

I liked the subtle acting he did as the frame-job started to snap into place during the trial. He just sank lower and lower until the fuse got too short, and then he just popped. Yes, Jaime is always excellent. I thought Varys got some much needed lines and screen time, as well. He has sort of faded into the background as the show moves along. I know that's where he likes to be, but as an important character, we need to see him a bit more, I think.

In the Beginning...
Totally agree on Varys. That guy is great and it had been too long since he had anything to do with the show. Seriously, I can't remember any time he's appeared this season, except maybe during the Purple Wedding.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
I also thought it was strange to leave that line out, but not for humor's sake. I remember reading that chapter in the books and feeling my gut drop when Shae said that. It was such a heavy emotional betrayal and seemed like a key moment in Tyrion's emotional arc.
I agree, either way it is a powerful moment that shouldn't of been omitted.

After watching it a second time and recovering from Dinklage's great acting, I paid more attention to the others, and yes indeed, Ser Davos did great in convincing the Iron Bank to back Stannis (if that's indeed what happened, and I think it is). Liam Cunningham is one of my favorite actors and aside from the Iron Bank scene, the scene with them sailing into Braavos was great. As strong as Stannis is, my focus was on the steely gaze of Davos in the background. To be fair, neither man seemed to blink.

Watching all the faces at the trial, it was very interesting to see the different, barely restrained reactions. Lena Headey looked like she wanted to burst as Cersei, and she was clenching her hand as Tyrion called for a trial by combat; Margaery looked nervous (knowing the true killers of Joffrey) and fairly appalled at the goings-on (although that probably won't dissuade her from wanting to marry Tommen); Jamie looked stricken at everything, especially Tyrion's speech at the end; I had to snicker at Mace Tyrell's, "Excuse me, did you say..." with Shae finishing with "Whore." And Shae looked very nervous, and was it just me or did she have less make-up on? Of course she probably would, given that she's appearing before the royal court.

I did like Danys exasperation at having to deal with so many subjects. That's part of being a queen, my lovely. Did anyone else think that the sheepherder was going to unwrap the bones of his son? Yikes!

Just an ace episode.

In the Beginning...
I did like Danys exasperation at having to deal with so many subjects. That's part of being a queen, my lovely. Did anyone else think that the sheepherder was going to unwrap the bones of his son? Yikes!
WARNING: "A Dance With Dragons" spoilers below
I seem to remember that was what happened in the book. I kept thinking the guy would try to explain that it wasn't a goat, and there was no way they could repay him. Not sure why they changed it. Maybe they didn't think audiences would take well to it?

The Adventure Starts Here!
That was my remembrance too -- that in the book it was his son. Then I thought maybe they would have a bit of an escalation with the dragon. First a goat, next a child...? That could still happen. But honestly -- this is the same show that gave us incestuous rape, murdering of pregnant women, crucifixions of children, and castration of major characters. What makes you think they'd balk at a dragon toasting a kid? (Oh wait, the dragon DID toast a "kid"! Never mind!)

I wrapped both of those last two posts in spoiler tags, if only because the thing you're talking about might well still happen.

In fact, that's kind of been my assumption--that they close out an upcoming episode (or even the season) with the same scene, but with different bones.