Movie Tab II

Tools    

Cheap Thrills (2014):
-
Cool, but a bit too redundant.

Proxy (2014):
+
Great modern horror-thriller in the vein of De Palma. Definitely Recommend.

Blue Ruin (2014):

I didn't feel like I was as engaged as I should have been. Still a decent film.

Big Bad Wolves (2014):

Fairly standard plot, but extremely well directed.

Sin City (2005):
-
After what I believe is my fourth viewing of this movie, I have finally bumped its rating up to 4 stars. The film manages to just create a whole new world that we shamelessly want to live in. Not many films can do that.

Taxi Driver (1976):

Probably my sixth viewing. I still really like it, but don't have an overpowering love for it.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007):
+
Can't believe it has taken me this long to watch it. Super creepy documentary-style horror film. One of the scariest of the decade.

Summer with Monika (1953):

Not one of my favorite Bergman films. I found the two main characters to be so dang annoying.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Five-Year Engagement (Nicholas Stoller, 2012)

Popeye for President (Seymour Kneitel, 1956)

Two Gates of Sleep (Alistair Banks Griffin, 2010)
-
Upstream Color (Shane Carruth, 2013)

Amy Seimetz and Shane Carruth seem to share many of the same memories but they can’t understand why.
Identity Thief (Seth Gordon, 2013)

Cheerleader Massacre (Jim Wynorski, 2003)

Dream House (Jim Sheridan, 2011)

Going Places (Bertrand Blier, 1974)

Thugs Patrick Dewaere & Gérard Depardieu travel around in various stolen cars, making love with Miou-Miou & Isabelle Huppert among others.
Gerald McBoing! Boing! on Planet Moo (Robert Cannon, 1956)

Vehicle 19 (Mukunda Michael Dewil, 2013)

Snitch (Ric Roman Waugh, 2013)
-
Oblivion (Joseph Kosinski, 2013)
+

Tom Cruise is a drone technician who learns things about his post-apocalyptic world he could never imagine.
In the Bag (Jack Hannah, 1956)

The Island (Michael Bay, 2005)
+
The East (Zal Batmanglij, 2013)
-
The Debt (John Madden, 2011)
+

Massad agent Helen Mirren must finish what she set out to do over 40 years earlier.
Bullet to the Head (Walter Hill, 2013)

The Campaign (Jay Roach, 2012)

The Heat (Paul Feig, 2013)
+
Marriage Italian Style (Vittorio De Sica, 1964)

Prostitute Sophia Loren always knew she would get her lover Marcello Mastroianni to the altar.

A system of cells interlinked
Class of 1984 (Lester, 1982)

Trash Rating

An ode to Used Future. It had been far too long since I watched an old trash flick, and this fit the bill nicely. Terrible stuff, but also awesome. A VERY young Michael J Fox in his first role as a picked-on band student at a high school that is run by a band of punker thugs. Some ******* took an eleven year old me to see this when it came out, and for the time, it is pretty brutal. Plenty of violence, nudity and swearing is to be had, pushing this one close to exploitation territory. Bad acting across the board, an abysmal licensed tune from Alice Cooper, but for some reason...sigh...this works as 80s trash.

It's fantastic, I love it. One of my favourite films when I was 10. I agree that it's brutal. I think it's a lot more harsh that most of what I've seen because it has a real nasty streak.

The Big Year (David Frankel, 2011)

Misery (Rob Reiner, 1990)

Napolean Dynamite (Jared Hess, 2004)

Robin Hood: Men in Tights (Mel Brooks, 1993))

Margot at the Wedding (Noah Baumbach, 2007)

The Last Picture Show (1971)

Batman Begins (2005)

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972)

Enemy (2013)

Fallen Angels (1995)

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)

El Topo (1970)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
26 April till yesterday in movies:

What it lacks in plot, it makes up in the beauty of cinematography and Grace Kelly.

人情紙風船 [Humanity and Paper Balloons] (1937) -

小城之春 [Spring in a Small Town] (1948) -

He Who Gets Slapped (1924) -

The Last Command (1928) -

Zéro de conduite [Zero for Conduct] (1933) -

Ménilmontant (1926) -

Les berceaux (1935) -

Brumes d'automne [Autumn Mists] (1929) -

Danses espagnoles (1928) -

La coquille et le clergyman [The Seashell and the Clergyman] (1928) -

Конец Санкт-Петербурга [The End of St. Petersburg] (1927) -

Leo es pardo (1976) -

The Wind (1928) -

Un chant d'amour [A Song of Love] (1950) -

Trust (1990) -

四月物語 [April Story] (1998) -

不良姐御伝 猪の鹿お蝶 [Sex and Fury] (1973) -

Arrebato [Rapture] (1980) -

Brzezina [The Birch Wood] (1970) -

Usłyszcie mój krzyk [Hear My Cry] (1991) -

Korczak (1990) -

Her (2013) -

To Catch a Thief (1955) -

隠し砦の三悪人 [The Hidden Fortress] (1958) -

青少年哪吒 [Rebels of the Neon God] (1992)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I guess it's one of those instances when I can say it's not really a bad film, I just didn't like it very much. I appreciated some of its surreal imagery and it was quite watchable and interesting for about an hour or so, but then I began to lose patience and I found the last hour pretty hard to sit through. That said, I look forward to seeing the rest from the director, especially The Holy Mountain, which I expect to enjoy a lot more.

Alice in the Cities

(Wim Wenders, 1974)
+

Complex, believable characterisations and heartfelt performances combine to make an extremely memorable experience. Watch this for the 70s countdown!
Great movie. It won't make my 70's list, but I hope it receives enough votes from others to still make an appearance on the countdown. I need to see more Wenders. The only two I've seen--- this and Paris, Texas--- left quite an impression on me.

I watched Alice in the Cities on TCM, and host Robert Osborne noted how the movie could never be made today. Part of the reason is because of how sensitive modern audiences are to anything reminiscent of pedophilia (even though the movie itself is completely innocent). But the biggest reason is that the story could no longer take place in a world where cell phones exist.

The only movie I’d seen before was Zelig. Sorry if too many others get my standard, boring rating, but if there's blame to be assigned, I'd blame the movies.
Magoo's Puddle Jumper (Pete Burness, 1956)

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (Don Scardino, 2013)

The Apparition (Todd Lincoln, 2012)

Zelig (Woody Allen, 1983)

Leonard Zelig (Woody Allen), the “Human Chameleon”, became world-famous in the 1920s.
Promised Land (Gus Van Sant, 2012)

Trouble with the Curve (Robert Lorenz, 2012)
+
Jack the Giant Slayer (Bryan Singer, 2013)

Ghost in the Shell (Mamoru Oshii, 1995)

A cyborg takes a moment before she goes to her job which involves ferreting out a cyber terrorist.
Pitch Perfect (Jason Moore, 2012)
+
Taken 2 (Olivier Megaton, 2012)
-
Hide and Seek (John Polson, 2005)

42 (Brian Helgeland, 2013)
+

Pee Wee Reese (Lucas Black) shows his support for Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) before a game in front of an antagonistic crowd.
Love in the Time of Hysteria aka Sólo con tu pareja (Alfonso Cuarón, 1991)

Two for the Money (D.J. Caruso, 2005)

The Man with the Iron Fists (RZA, 2012)
-
Just Like Heaven (Mark Waters, 2005)
+

Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo share an apartment, but only one of them seems to be alive in the traditional sense.
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Timur Bekmambetov, 2012)

Chasing Mavericks (Curtis Hanson, 2012)

Lola Versus (Daryl Wein, 2012)
+
The Girl (Julian Jarrold, 2012)

Tippi Hedren (Sienna Miller) & Alfred Hitchcock (Toby Jones) attend the premiere of The Birds.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Good to see mark f watching films he haven't seen before.

I bitched that my cable/internet/landline (yes - still have one) bill was too high, so they dropped the price $20/month and gave me free HBO/Cinemax for three months. I'm catching up. Most these flicks aren't bad, but they're nothing special either.

My friend and I were making fun of it quite a bit, but I couldn't quite go to the next-lower rating. If you saw The Apparition, it might be more acceptable. I also got to watch it for free (at least as far as money).

Finished here. It's been fun.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (rewatch)

Magnificent film, and a perennial 70's classic. Remarkably powerful, and a triumphant showcase of great storytelling. And to think this might not have even made my 70's list. Much better than I remember it being.

Repulsion
+

With this horror gem, I can finally say I've completed Roman Polanski's Apartment trilogy. This is an exceptional film, and while it falls short of being as masterful as Rosemary's Baby, its still extremely impressive. The Tenant of course is the weak link of the trilogy, but its still watchable though.

Repulsion is more than a simple horror-film, it is a striking character-study of a young beauty's descent into madness. From the get-go we can sense that something isn't quite right with the film's main character Cinderella, and as the film progresses she clashes with personal demons.Her mental state deteriorates, and Polanski's splendid camerawork makes the viewer feel just as claustrophobic as the film's protagonist. There are hidden clues to what may be wrong with Cinderella, yet most of this is left to interpretation. The film's bone-chilling final scene literally terrified me, and it definitely reinforced my interpretation of the film as being quite possibly correct.

A Streetcar Named Desire

Superb melodrama about a woman who is hopelessly trying to escape her past. The characters of the film feel real, they aren't simple caricatures. One second you despise them, the next you are consumed with empathy for their well-being. The sharp cinematography and astounding performances make this chamber drama highly engrossing and compelling. Definitely an essential viewing to those that like excellent character-driven dramas.

The General

Buster Keaton>Charles Chaplin

The Lego Movie
+

Had alot of fun with this one.Immensely enjoyable,fun, and it should be entertaining for all audiences:Young Or Old. Its quite hilarious and the film is ripe with meta-jokes and self-aware humor.It also is very sweet and endearing. I couldn't help but smile while watching it, and that's all I was asking for before I sat down and gave this a viewing. It also manages to subvert many cliches we are all so accustomed to with modern Blockbusters, and that actually surprised me quite a bit.

Repulsion
+

With this horror gem, I can finally say I've completed Roman Polanski's Apartment trilogy. This is an exceptional film, and while it falls short of being as masterful as Rosemary's Baby, its still extremely impressive. The Tenant of course is the weak link of the trilogy, but its still watchable though.

Repulsion is more than a simple horror-film, it is a striking character-study of a young beauty's descent into madness. From the get-go we can sense that something isn't quite right with the film's main character Cinderella, and as the film progresses she clashes with personal demons.Her mental state deteriorates, and Polanski's splendid camerawork makes the viewer feel just as claustrophobic as the film's protagonist. There are hidden clues to what may be wrong with Cinderella, yet most of this is left to interpretation. The film's bone-chilling final scene literally terrified me, and it definitely reinforced my interpretation of the film as being quite possibly correct.
Completely agree with your take on Repulsion, a great film. Your review is pretty similar to mine actually. I still have to see Rosemary's Baby though. Very curious!

By the way, I don't get what's the difference between this thread and "Rate the last movie you saw"?