John Ford

Tools    

All these "cinephiles" and they don't even know John Ford's films.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

According to Wikipedia, he directed over 140 films, although many of those are silent films that are now lost. Regardless, his filmography is intimidating. I've only seen 7 of his films so far (I thought that number would be higher, to be honest), so I've sure got a lot of catching up to do. With the exception of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, which I found rather mediocre, I've either liked or loved every film I've seen by him.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
How cinephilia has changed these days. The film canon is massive now, so a lot of people end up just not seeing many others consider essentials. I've only gotten to John Ford in the past year or so, and I think he's great, but there's a lot left to explore.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

All these "cinephiles" and they don't even know Theo Angelopoulos' films.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Informer, and The Grapes of Wrath, for me. I've seen many, many, many more, but those three are my favorites.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	informer.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	14089   Click image for larger version

Name:	man who.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	14091  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Damnit, I just wrote up a big post on my thoughts of John Fords film I've seen for my Rate-O-Meter and it vanished because I accidently went into another window. I hate iPads sometimes.

All these "cinephiles" and they don't even know Theo Angelopoulos' films.
Angelopoulos? What the hell. Is he Russian or something?

Anyway, on John Ford. I have watched eight. And so far, two
s: The man who shot Liberty Valance, which is very high in my top100, and How green was my valley, one of the finest melodramas. I'm very fond as well of My darling Clementine, Young Mr. Lincoln, The quiet man and Stagecoach. Mogambo seems like a minor work and I was disappointed at my first viewing with The searchers, I'll watch it again, though.

So, more or less:

1. The man who shot Liberty Valance

2. How green was my valley

3. My darling Clementine

4. Young Mr. Lincoln

5. The quiet man

6. Stagecoach

7. Mogambo

8. The searchers

Have watched just one movie directed by John Ford - 7 Women - starring Anne Bancroft and Margaret Leighton. This, I believe, was the last feature film directed by the legend. Loved the story.

The Quiet Man (1952) is probably my favourite John Ford movie.
A great film with Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, and a strong cast of characters. I must have seen that one half a dozen times. They literally don't make 'em like that anymore!@

Ranking the only ones I've seen...

The Searchers (1956)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
Stagecoach (1939)
Sergeant Rutledge (1960)

I've seen these and they're all good! My favorite as in funnest to watch is Donovan's Reef 1963.

3 Bad Men 1926
Arrowsmith 1931
Stagecoach 1939
Tobacco Road 1941
They Were Expendable 1945
My Darling Clementine 1946
Fort Apache 1948
3 Godfathers 1948
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon 1949
Wagon Master 1950
The Quiet Man 1952
Rio Grande 1950
Mogambo 1953
The Long Gray Line 1955
Mister Roberts 1955
The Searchers 1956
The Wings of Eagles 1957
The Horse Soldiers 1959
Sergeant Rutledge 1960
Two Rode Together 1961
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 1962
Donovan's Reef 1963
Cheyenne Autumn 1964

The Quiet Man (1952) is probably my favourite John Ford movie.
Same here..

The Quiet Man 1952 John Ford

Gorgeous filming locations in Ireland. Read that the 'White O’ Morn cottage' location still looks the same, so I will definitely be visiting someday.