Looking for harsh, nerve grinding movies

Tools    

Hello, everybody - this is my first post and I'm gonna go right into my question, hope you can help me..

So the title is very vague so let me put that into more accurate terms:
I'm looking for some very particular movies that sort of get to you psychological, I know this is very subjective so let me give you some examples. The thing is that I need something that has violent content and includes rape against women. The reason why I need movies like that is because I want to go and buy me some alcohol and drink myself into misery.. well and such a film would naturally add to this dismal mood I want to get in.

Now what's important about this is that I don't really want over the top movies, I am not talking about full hardcore exploitation films like "Irréversible", "A Serbian Movie", or "I spit on your Grave". I think they are trying much too hard to be disturbing and end up just being a bit silly, I didn't see the last one but from the trailer I can tell it's not what I want to see..

Now what does this mean? Hard to tell really, I can give you two good examples and two rather bad examples, perhaps this gives you a better picture.

Leaving Las Vegas: A very good example in some ways. I just watched it recently and I got pretty much what I expected. Also rape was included in a way which makes it more believable and like that it gave me more a feeling of "in your face!" which is good. The downside of this movie (at least for my criteria) is that it lacks violence, I would have enjoyed more killing and perhaps some revenge plot - but after all that's not what's the movie about.

Dredd (2012): This movie goes into a fairly different direction however it has some core elements that were very convincing, for example this dark picture of our future. First of all it has a perfect amount of violence and badassery from both main protagonists, second it is in a world full of crime and the magnitude of it becomes clear very early in the movie. This and the few subliminal suggestions (also referring to rape) leaves a lot of space for disturbing imagination, which supported my ****ed up emotional state very well.

Mad Max 2: If this movie were less cheesy I would have had exactly the experience I needed. Alas only the beginning was quite alright and truthfully the rape scene was just utter garbage (although I must admit that the first time I saw the scene it did disturb me, only later I realized that the movie has too much nonsense in it to take it seriously). And don't start talking about "The book of Eli" it just seemed like a bad rip off to me.

Riddick (2013): The movie itself is quite fun and that's the problem I guess. When the mercenaries arrive we get a very impressive picture. Apparently they have captured and abused a woman (a criminal?) for quite some time, she gets killed not long after she has been introduced which shows the viewer just how ****ed up this sci-fi world really must be. Unfortunately this was the only thing that really matters for this list here, the rest of the movie doesn't live up to the dismal notion I want to discover.

So it has been quite a text.. If anyone knows something that sort of goes into this direction I'd be very happy to take a look at it. I sincerely regret if I have offended anyone with my questions, I'm sorry for that.. Anyway, hope you can help me and have a nice time!

mate, I have to tell you reading your post, it's a bit disturbing

Maybe you should be watching something happy if you're miserable

Watchmen

mate, I have to tell you reading your post, it's a bit disturbing

Maybe you should be watching something happy if you're miserable
It's is hilarious of you to say that. Wait until you know the music I listen to. If you're curious I can send you a pm, just for you.. only to show you how my clock really works?

Thanks for all the suggestions since now..

Well most of those movies I know or I have seen them already.

Thank you cricket, Red white and blue seems very interesting, I watched the trailer but had to stop it because I got too curious and I didn't want spoil anything. The other movies you had in your list are good (I don't know "star 80" and "rivers edge") anyway besides Clock Work Orange all the other movies seem a bit too explicit to me, I like when it's more decent and sneaks its way up your psyche.

Thank you Zotis for suggestion Prometheus, I never really thought about looking it. Tell me: Is it any good, can you say why this is the movie that gets the job done right?

An yea, Gabrielletcetera, I've seen Watchmen, a very good movie, I certainly liked it very much and it kinda belongs into what I would call harsh and nerve grinding in a subliminal way, which is very good.

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
I don't know if you've seen it but I Saw the Devil is very good. The Raid and The Raid 2 are two you might enjoy since you enjoyed Dredd. I haven't seen Salo 120 Days of Sodom but have heard that it might be up your alley.

A system of cells interlinked
Mulholland Drive (Lynch, 2000)

A slow burn that makes little sense at first, but all clicks later. Some very nerved up sequences...

Requiem for a Dream (Aronofsky, 2000)

The WINTER sequence in this film is the epitome of nerve-rending! Harsh stuff, but not exploitative. I just watched this again Saturday night, and it was still as brutal as ever.

It's is hilarious of you to say that. Wait until you know the music I listen to. If you're curious I can send you a pm, just for you.. only to show you how my clock really works?.
ok so hilarious my answer may be. It's not the harsh and nerve grinding description I was concerned about - we've all seen plenty of films like that, it was more your explicit desire for seeing rape scenes that I find disturbing. I'm not that curious about you really, sorry.

Prometheus is very intense and entertaining. I think you'll like it. I enjoyed it a lot in theaters the first time I saw it. It's not a great movie like the original Alien, but I think it suits the mood you were talking about.

My friend who watched it with me doesn't really like scary movies, and he was on the edge of his seat and biting his nails.

If you liked Dredd, try RoboCop (1987)... there's a few scenes in that but the overall aura of the film is pretty bleak.

The Passion Of The Christ is quite nervy as well.
Also, Judgment Night (1993) gets me on the edge of my seat.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

ok so hilarious my answer may be. It's not the harsh and nerve grinding description I was concerned about - we've all seen plenty of films like that, it was more your explicit desire for seeing rape scenes that I find disturbing. I'm not that curious about you really, sorry.
What ever.. maybe you don't like music. It's not about me you know, it's about the world and its ghastly borders.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions but at it seems there are probably not really any films which I accurately suit my expectations. I probably had to make such a film by myself.. Maybe something will come up, we'll see

If you liked Dredd, try RoboCop (1987)... there's a few scenes in that but the overall aura of the film is pretty bleak.
Common, as if I not already have