Pets

Tools    

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
Any reason for selling them? It's simple, we need the money. I hate that we are contributing to the over population problem. We do take great care of the dogs and puppies have all necessary shots before going anywhere. That doesn't fix the over population issue and I am aware of that. I have two rescue dogs in the house myself. I will most likely continue to get rescue dogs to have in the house with me.

If you're actually making money breeding dogs, then you're doing it wrong. Are the parents titled? Have they been tested against potential genetic diseases like hip displaysia and elbow displaysia? Are the puppies evaluated by a veterinarian before you sell them or do you just go buy shots from the feed store and vaccinate them yourself and leave it up to the new owners to worry about it? If the new owners are unable to keep the puppy (at any point in its life), are you willing to take it back or are they just going to end up in shelters?

And what happens when one of your "money makers" gets a stuck puppy or ends up with pyometra and needs emergency (read: very expensive) surgery? C-sections and pyometra spays can cost upwards of $1,000 and must be done immediately or the dog will die.

I get the need to make money, but find another way. There's more than just your irresponsible contribution to pet overpopulation to consider here.

On the subject of life threatening emergencies, one of the reasons I haven't been on as much this week is that my kitty, Jasper, had an emergency of his own: a urinary tract obstruction.

I came home from work on Monday to find him sitting in the litterbox, where he stayed for quite some time. When he got out, he immediately flopped down on the floor and started furiously licking his penis. I rushed him back to the office and his urinalysis revealed tons of crystals. He had to have a urinary cather put in place (which was left in for 48 hours) and he's on a prescription food (read expensive) that he'll probably have stay on for the rest of his life. For the next few weeks, while we wait for the food to dissolve the crystals, he's at a huge risk for blocking again. The catheter has only been out since Wednesday, and he has already had one scare (thankfully a false alarm) that landed us at the emergency clinic in the middle of the night. Even with the discounts I get at work and at the emergency clinic, this has cost me $500 so far and I still have to take him back for follow-up labwork in a couple of weeks (assuming he doesn't block again).

Thankfully, my experience working at vet clinics has taught me to recognize the symptoms and to know that this isn't something you put off until a more convenient time or watch and see if he gets better on his own. Obstructed cats that don't get treatment can die in as little as 24 hours from the onset of symptoms. So all cat owners, especially those with male cats, take notice.

If you own a cat, please read up on this: Help... my cat can't pee!

My Jasper, who is just shy of 2 years old.

I hope Jasper gets better soon Miss Vicky. It's so expensive at the vets, I even think it's more expensive in the UK than over in the US

I hope Jasper gets better soon Miss Vicky. It's so expensive at the vets, I even think it's more expensive in the UK than over in the US
Thanks.

So far he's doing pretty well. I caught the problem early - before his bladder got severely distended and before the build up of toxins could do damage to his organs - so his chances of full recovery are good, but he's not out of the woods yet.

I miss my obnoxious, bouncing off the walls, happy kitty. I want him back, now. It's so sad watching him laying around all the time because he doesn't feel well and because the pain medication he has to take pretty much knocks him out.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
If you're actually making money breeding dogs, then you're doing it wrong. Are the parents titled? Have they been tested against potential genetic diseases like hip displaysia and elbow displaysia? Are the puppies evaluated by a veterinarian before you sell them or do you just go buy shots from the feed store and vaccinate them yourself and leave it up to the new owners to worry about it? If the new owners are unable to keep the puppy (at any point in its life), are you willing to take it back or are they just going to end up in shelters?

And what happens when one of your "money makers" gets a stuck puppy or ends up with pyometra and needs emergency (read: very expensive) surgery? C-sections and pyometra spays can cost upwards of $1,000 and must be done immediately or the dog will die.

I get the need to make money, but find another way. There's more than just your irresponsible contribution to pet overpopulation to consider here.
All those things have been done and considered and yes, if they are unable to keep the puppy for ANY reason we will take them back and either find them another home or keep them. I did expect a smart ass comment or two though.

* Edit: They are not 'money makers' they are pets that we care about very much. If this ever comes to something that we don't feel good about or feel that we are harming our pets we will stop.

*Double-Edit: After reading the rest of your posts, I am really sorry to hear that your kitty is sick. I hope that he gets better soon!

Thanks.

So far he's doing pretty well. I caught the problem early - before his bladder got severely distended and before the build up of toxins could do damage to his organs - so his chances of full recovery are good, but he's not out of the woods yet.

I miss my obnoxious, bouncing off the walls, happy kitty. I want him back, now. It's so sad watching him laying around all the time because he doesn't feel well and because the pain medication he has to take pretty much knocks him out.
I guess cos he's young he's got more of a fighting chance of complete recovery. I'm not really a cat person but the thought of any pet in pain is distressing. Get well soon Jasper!

Our Shep is suffering from some kind of skin problem that keeps flaring up. I've got him on Piriton now (human allergy medicine ok for dogs) which , fingers crossed, seems to be keeping it under control. I've done this myself as I've put close to Ł800 on my credit card in vets bills in the last three months and just can't afford any more

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Yeah, sorry about Jasper, Miss Vicky. I hope he's better soon. I did not know that about cats. Well, I knew that they could get urinary obstructions, but I did not know they could die from it in less than 24 hours.

My dog Gidget had a recent vet checkup and was pronounced healthy. I was very happy about that. As old as she is every vet trip is a little nerve racking now. Supposedly she shouldn't be able to see very well, but you wouldn't know it. She has bad cataracts and I've had several people think she was blind, but she gets around great and still runs and jumps around in the woods like a crazy dog.

Thanks, Godog.

Jasper seems to be feeling a lot better today. He's starting to get back to being his obnoxious self and his trips to the litterbox have been much less frequent this morning. Fingers crossed he keeps going in the right direction.

Jasper gave me another scare a couple of nights ago after I got home from work so we ended up at an emergency clinic yet again.

He won't stop licking himself, which is aggravating the inflammation and making it harder for him to pee. So he's had to wear a "cone of shame."

And he's not happy about it.

A system of cells interlinked
Time to post another pic of Shmert!

aww poor Jasper, that's got to be so aggravating. The cones are the only way tho

Our dog came home with one but the size of the German Shepherd one meant he couldn't get through the door without near knocking himself out! We had to give up on it in the end and watch him like a hawk for a few days instead.