Duel

→ in
Tools    

Must be some fans of this 1971 early Spielberg classic on here?

It's one of my favourite films - remember watching it with my dad when I was younger. Such a simple plot yet it's completely gripping and original.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I watched it when it first aired on TV in Nov. 1971. I've seen both versions several times since. Spielberg's expertise at pacing and psychological suspense is already evident, as are some of his staging preferences and camera framing and movement. I give it
, but he did lots with what was basically a trial run at Jaws.
WARNING: "" spoilers below
The monster [truck] in this even dies similarly to the shark.

I watched it when it first aired on TV in Nov. 1971. I've seen both versions several times since. Spielberg's expertise at pacing and psychological suspense is already evident, as are some of his staging preferences and camera framing and movement. I give it
, but he did lots with what was basically a trial run at Jaws.
WARNING: "" spoilers below
The monster [truck] in this even dies similarly to the shark.

Oh, this film definitely showed that Spielberg was going to be a director to be reckoned. I always wondered if, after Spielberg blew up, if Dennis Weaver ever attempted to work with him. I also was curious about what Weaver thought of working with Spielberg on this film. Never seen any interviews with Weaver regarding his experience working on this film.

This is a movie I go back to occasionally. As already stated it shows Spielberg's ability.
He understands what it takes to make a truly terrifying antagonist.
WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
The identity and the motives of the driver are never revealed and this makes it all the more horrifying. Like The Terminator, it can't be reasoned with, it seems unstoppable and it's coming after him! David Mann represents everyman as Brodie did in Jaws, and Spielberg admits that Duel and Jaws share a 'kinship'.

Might give this another look this weekend.