Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Snowpiercer

There's been something about this movie that has kept me thinking about all day today despite watching it late last night. I had little idea how the movie was, and I'm glad I went into it with no expectations because I enjoyed the movie very much. Dystopian style movie about a train car that holds the last survivors of the world. The movie is shot very well and is intense throughout. There is good acting on display, although the movie never indulges much into the characters outside of Chris Evans' character. The movie is visually stunning, and although the CGI is a bit of the letdown the movie makes up for it with production design. I recommend watching this movie and formulating your own opinion for yourself. You will either love it or hate it.

7.5/10

A was bored so I actually have started watching the pokemon movies I've never seen. Today I watched the 7th movie, Destiny Deoxys. My rating, 4/5. I was pleasantly surprised. In all actually, it not only looked great and had a few good characters in it, but it managed to get me slightly invested in what was going on. Honestly, if Brock hadn't been there ruining the atmosphere with his shameless flirting (which was old way before he stopped being a main character) it would have actually been even better. It was actually very enjoyable and I don't mind saying it. That is probably the first pokemon thing I've watched besides origin since I had stopped watching the anime that didn't bore me. I suggest checking it out.

Unregistered User

Synecdoche New York -

Great performance again from PSH but its not a movie i can say i enjoyed or want to watch again.

Basic Instinct -

In Their Skin -

Poor attempt at a home invasion movie. Completely predictable with bad acting.

Went right into Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, which is also getting a 4/5. This time around, the characters were actually better but the plot and some of the animation was poorer than the previous film. Still rather enjoyable though. I can't believe I'm actually enjoying these films but I actually think I want to start collecting them. They can be a lot of fun.

Up in Smoke
(Lou Adler, 1978)

To put it in terms that Cheech and Chong would understand, this movie was like a high that wears off way too quickly when you've got nothing left to smoke, leaving you dejected on the couch. The funniest scenes come early in the movie when Cheech and Chong first meet and proceed to smoke the biggest blunt ever made (mixed with Labrador, man!). When a stoned Cheech asks, "Hey, am I driving okay?" and Chong replies, "I think we're parked, man," I laughed my ass off. Unfortunately, I don't think I laughed but once or twice during the rest of the movie. I shudder to think how bad the sequels must be if this is the best of the bunch. Talk about some stank ass weed!

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
(Francis Lawrence, 2013)

I felt that the first movie took way too long to kick into gear, but when it finally reached the actual Hunger Games, it was somewhat entertaining--- even if it was just a watered-down, PG-13 version of Battle Royale. Unfortunately, this movie takes even longer to reach the Hunger Games (almost two damn hours!). And once we get there, instead of the participants trying to kill each other off, this one sees most of them working together. So for two hours we're subjected to a lame love triangle involving whiny teenagers and a bunch a hullabaloo about the capital and a rising rebellion, then it all ends with a whimper and a lame twist that the audience sees coming from a mile away. This will probably be the last entry in the series that I bother watching since the third book is being split into two movies.

The Werckmeister Harmonies

It's just simply not the kind of movie that a lot of people, including myself, can fully appreciate. I liked the bleak atmosphere and sense of impending doom. I thought some of the long shots were very impressive, while others seemed to needlessly extend the movie. I didn't struggle to get through it, and I'm glad I watched it; I'm just not the target audience.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I didn't struggle to get through it, and I'm glad I watched it; I'm just not the target audience.
I wonder what is the target audience? Arthouse snobs? I'm starting to hate my once favourite film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I wonder what is the target audience? Arthouse snobs? I'm starting to hate my once favourite film.
I certainly don't mean anything by that. I saw the quality in it, but I don't know who I could recommend it to.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

Rating: Good Flick!

Heathers is a 1988 film directed by Michael Lehmann, who also directed various other movies like Airhead and The Truth About Cats & Dogs, but never achieving the following that he did for this movie. The film stars Christian Slater (I recently did a review of Hollow Man 2 which features him prominently.) and Winona Ryder.(Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, and several others) The film takes place in an Ohio high school composed by various stereotypes, as well as cliques. One of these cliques is composed of four girls, three of them named Heather, and the fourth being Veronica, played by Winona Ryder. The movie basically takes every idea that was ever conceived about high-school and deliberately romanticizes, glamorizes, and throws it overboard in a way that at times results in absolute hilarity. If for no other reason than the audacity and ridiculousness of it all, there are a lot of moments throughout the movie where all I could do was smile with a ****-eating grin.

The Heathers are snobby bitches carrying a self-righteousness that feels oddly familiar to a lot that went to high-school albeit being a parody of the idea than anything else, and then, there's Veronica, who doesn't seem to agree with a lot of what the Heather trio is doing. She eventually before meets a boy named J.D. acted by Christian Slater that expresses ways to extract revenge on them. It is from there that the dark-humored mischief escalates this tale to complete madness. The movie is filled with apathy toward suicide, murder, and cruelty, and yet, the beauty of it all is that it feels so lighthearted and merry on the surface. There is no surprise at all whatsoever that this movie caught viewers off-guard and was capable of building a cult following.

"Deciding whether or not to kill yourself is one of the most important decisions a teen can make."

The film shamelessly glosses over the severity of their subject matter in such a way that isn't usually seen, and the squeaky clean shell only makes it all the more easy to appreciate. The premise of the story isn't exactly the most mind-blowing in all of the land, in-fact, a lot of it is even downright nonsensical, but the film itself doesn't care and honestly finds a way to make it work. A lot of that has to do with the performance of Christian Slater which feels downright brilliant at some points. I can never tell whether or not he is emotionally driven or has been emotionally driven mad, or both! The performance feels enigmatic and it's just such an intriguing experience when he takes the screen. Winona Ryder isn't a slouch either, although she obviously was given the less interesting role. Although, I suppose the voice of reason is necessary ... sigh.

The film isn't freed from cornball dialogue delivery, "Heather, my love, there's a new sheriff in town," but makes effort at keeping it to a minimum. The movie doesn't exactly give an in-depth look at teenage suicides, but can actually be merited for the morbid perspective it offers on peer pressure and how ridiculous high-school looks in retrospect. In an effort to keep it simple, I won't go as far as calling Heathers an amazing movie, I mean, there's a lot of senselessness to the storytelling at times, as well as inconsistency in the message, but I will say that I found the humor to be exquisite. I found Christian Slater's performance to be downright mesmerizing at times, and I was amused from beginning to end.

Yesterday I watched "Swordfish" from 2001. Very disappoint film. Storyline is mediocre and the acting is far from the best of those involved. Massive let down in my eyes.

4/10

Twitter: @MandFReviews

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Zatoichi (2003)
Kitano, as par usual, brings all the cinematic work, bloody grittiness and the occassional aspect of human nature that makes you chuckle to the long running series of the blind samauri

@Cricket: The Apartment is a personal favorite of mine! Very glad you enjoyed it so much.

As for me:

Stray Dog (1949)

It's only my second Kurosawa film yet and I'm already starting to love his directing style and storytelling. I've only seen Ikiru and this one so far, but in these two films he explores the themes he's portraying in a very distinct manner. His stories are straightforward and even though he never seems disinterested in the actual plot of his films (like some other directors), he always finds a way to offer the viewer interesting insights and give every event more meaning. There are a few thrilling moments in this film, both in a prosaic and a poetic kind of way (if that makes any sense to you). Wonderful picture!
I'm very much looking forward to see more of this legendary director's work.

+

I have two more of his movies on DVD. After those two, I have to buy The Quiet Duel and Dersu Uzala.
Dersu Uzala is a masterpiece, in my top 50, watch it ASAP. Haven't watched The Quiet Duel yet.