Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Even though I was a big fan of Only God Forgives, your response to it made me laugh.

Have you seen the director's Pusher Trilogy? I highly recommend them, even if you're not a fan of Only God Forgives or Drive. The Pusher movies are much grittier and character-driven and rely less on style and polish than his most recent films.
I actually have heard if it, but forgot about it. I'll check it out; the director definitely has talent, but I also hated Bronson.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

I was a little worried at first, because I didn't care for the opening musical number. *It turns out that I liked every one that followed; all good songs that advanced the story. I liked the backstory about growing up in Berlin which I thought added a grander scope, and makes you care about the main character. The movie is really funny; seeing the band play in unlikely settings in front of square people generates a lot of laughs. I thought it hit all the right notes; the character is understandably bitter but always remains likable, it's freaky but not too freaky, it's touching but not mushy, etc. The only noticeable thing for me that would keep it from being a favorite, is that I could not personally relate to the characters or situations at all. That's something that a lot of my favorite movies have in common, and that's not a flaw in the movie at all, but just rather a personal thing. I think an easy comparison would be to The Rocky Horror Picture Show but this is a much better movie, and I didn't find this to be campy at all. The performances are all very good, and there's a lot of energy, with plenty of fun to be had. Last thing is that after knowing what it stems from, I think it has one of the all time great movie titles.

'' District 9 by Neill Blomkamp ''

a good movie in the average ! great history , the guy who become an alien and can use the weapon of the extraterrestrial race is pretty interresting and the casting is good so ...

7.2/10

The 25th Hour

A powerful film for me because I felt like I related to it. Great job by the cast; I'd like to see more from Barry Pepper. Maybe my favorite Spike Lee movie; it's a tough call between this and Summer of Sam. I think this is a better all around, more consistent film, while Summer of Sam is more for my personal taste.

The Music Never Stopped: I thought this was kind of cool little movie. It's pretty predictably sentimental, but the music was awesome and JK Simmons did a good job. Nothing special, but I am still glad I watched it.

The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug: Definitely better than the first Hobbit and definitely not as good as the LOTR trilogy. Fun movie, but just doesn't resonate with me like LOTR films did.

Breakfast at Tiffany's: Decided I wanted to watch an older film and I had never seen this one so I gave it a shot. First of all, Audrey Hepburn is a fox. Second, the movie was charming and funny. Third, that cat was a boss.

Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013): Beautifully shot film, but not enough laughs for me and the product placement was just distracting. Pretty meh.

Snowpiercer: Had next to no idea what to expect going into this movie, but I sure am glad I watched it. Very violent, gruesome, and interesting take on a post-apocalyptic earth/social stratification. I thought the acting was solid, direction was good, and gets points for unique story line.

Rush (2013)
It's easy to see why Ron Howard wanted to make a film about James Hunt and Niki Lauda, and there is plenty to admire. It's the execution, however, that makes Rush simply a good, serviceable time at the movies yet leaving much to be desired as the film glosses over much of the necessary emotional depth to truly feel anything, instead replacing it with some hackneyed and generic melodrama. I was merely pleased and satisfied enough, and it is a completely watchable and well-made film, but never once was I blown away or taken by surprise. The performances by Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl are solid but not enough to overpower Howard's heavy-handed and artificial direction as well as a pretty weak script. Never really boring, but never really engaging either.
Rating: 3/5

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
Heart of Light

I decided to check out a film from Greenland and found it...kinda forgettable. It takes about 30 minutes (of an already short 1 hour 28 minute film) to set up what it's about then spends the rest of the time following a guy on a sled around. While it sounds negative, I was really enjoying the film up to the ending which didn't really have a payoff. He comes home and that's it (or at least what I remember, and I watched this just a few hours ago). If the ending was a bit more memorable I might have enjoyed the film a lot more.

2/5

48 Hrs.

An enjoyable action movie where Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy run around hunting down Billy from Predator and Dexter Morgan's dad.

3/5

Rush (2013)
It's easy to see why Ron Howard wanted to make a film about James Hunt and Niki Lauda, and there is plenty to admire. It's the execution, however, that makes Rush simply a good, serviceable time at the movies yet leaving much to be desired as the film glosses over much of the necessary emotional depth to truly feel anything, instead replacing it with some hackneyed and generic melodrama. I was merely pleased and satisfied enough, and it is a completely watchable and well-made film, but never once was I blown away or taken by surprise. The performances by Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl are solid but not enough to overpower Howard's heavy-handed and artificial direction as well as a pretty weak script. Never really boring, but never really engaging either.
Rating: 3/5
I agree. Rush is a solid movie, but nothing amazing, in my opinion. I went to see it with a few friends and they were all WAY more impressed with it than I was, although I still liked it. I also thought it was a little too melodramatic and found the script to be kind of weak.

I loved the racing sequences, though and I also liked Chris Hemsworth's charismatic performance (I'm not a big fan of the Thor films, but I thought he did a pretty good job in Rush).

The Bib-iest of Nickels
As far as Rush goes, I really enjoyed it, I'd even call it a great movie, but that's just me.

Red River

The first 35 minutes were just ok for me, but then the rest was awesome, until the last 90 seconds messed up what was looking like an epic finale. I've never been overly fond of westerns but this definitely gave me enough to want to watch more. My first John Wayne film; it was an interesting role as I wouldn't call him a hero or a villain, but something in between here. Montgomery Cliff and the rest of the cast were very good, but The Duke completely dominates when he's on screen. I look forward to more John Wayne movies.

The Long Goodbye
(Robert Altman, 1973)

I went into this movie with a little bit of hesitation after being warned by someone that Robert Altman was "an acquired taste." I can definitely see where that warning was coming from, but I actually found myself really engaged with it. While I wasn't overly interested with the story and the events that unfolded, I really enjoyed the wry humor and oddball ways of the character Philip Marlowe.

Conclusion: It's okay with me.

+

In my favorite scene, Pat Garrett (played by James Coburn) orders Bob Dylan's character to read aloud the cans on the shelves while he interrogates two other men about the whereabouts of Billy the Kid. As the tension mounts and we wait to see which man is going to pull his gun first, Bob Dylan's trademark voice and diction can be heard in the background, going, "Beans . . . Baked beans . . . Salmon . . . Lima beans . . . Beans . . . Succotash . . . Quality beans . . ." It's kind of hilarious.
Ha, ha! Capt. Spaulding, that's my absolute favorite scene in the movie also. Didn't he also hit a questioning note, saying Beef stew? It's been so long since I've seen this, this is the scene that really sticks with me, which makes me sad after reading your great review. I need to revisit it soon.

There's been a lot of discussion of people not remembering movies to comment on them. I've been trying to slide older movies in lately, as I tend to watch quite a few of them that sound interesting. The last two I've commented on came from the Turner Classic Moves cable channel and the next one up is from the same:

Two Sisters From Boston (1946)

While this is described as a "comedy/musical," there is more comedy than music and the music is integral to the plot. In other words, people don't just break out into song for no reason. I'm not knocking that type of movie, but I must say that until this year, musicals of any kind were not my cup of tea, save for something like The Wizard of Oz. But as I've been exposed to more of the Fred Astaire/Gene Kelly type of film, I've enjoyed various musicals more and more, as a lot of them have comedy and/or a good plot to go along with them. Sorry I had to use that preface but it's just a fair warning that I may be sounding off on more musicals in the future, just not exclusively.

Two Sisters From Boston stars Kathryn Grayson, who was one of MGM's biggest stars ever, June Allyson (whom I never paid much attention to except in her films with my personal movie hero, Jimmy Stewart, and her Depends commercials), Jimmy Durante, and Peter Lawford. Grayson gets top billing but Allyson totally steals the movie out from under her. Grayson plays Abigail and Allyson plays her sister, Martha, both of whom are from a snooty, turn-of-the-century family. Abigail is in New York, ostensibly singing in the Opera on her Uncle's dime, but in reality dancing and singing at a burlesque house run by Jimmy Durante. It's a very innocent (for our time) burlesque house, with frilly, long bloomers being about the most risque' thing exposed. But a rumor gets out back in Boston about Abigail, so Aunt, Uncle, and sister are off to NY to see if it's true. With Durante running interference at every step, the family is fooled into thinking she's an opera star. When Martha finds out, she (reluctantly at first) also helps in fooling the family to help her sister's opera dream come true.

If this sounds all rather silly, it is, but it's a lot of fun. I never knew Allyson to have comedic chops before and she does. Plus, in 1946, I couldn't believe the Depends lady of commercial ads was so cute. And that's up against Grayson, who was no slouch herself in the looks department. Yeah, Durante mugs it up as usual but he's harmless. If you ever catch yourself finding it on TCM, give it a whirl. It's almost worth it for one site gag alone involving a dog in a recording studio.

Went to the Premiere of "Almost Married" last night - it is a British sex comedy film. Awkward scenes provide some light humour however much of the 'comedy' comes from sexual jokes/innuendos which in essence gives the film a childish feel. It is okay and you may laugh at certain bits but it is not out and out comedy but rather awkward laughing.

5/10

Twitter: @MandFReviews

One flew over the cuckoo'st - rewatch

Don't think this needs any rating since it's obviously a great movie. This movie makes me laugh harder at some points than the average comedy that are just a little try hard. Great acting, convincing roles & Jack Nicholson plays his part amazing.

The first time I watched this movie I interpreted the ending differently. Then I read about it, etc and I figured it out. I thought the McMurphy in the bed at the ending wasn't the real one (of course he wasn't in a way) but.. that the "real" one escaped literally and the McMurphy in bed was just a very lively living doll or something LOL nope. - Never read the book.

Overall solid 8,5/10