The MoFo Top 100 of the Seventies

→ in
Tools    

I've been lurking around on this site for the past several weeks, just enjoying watching all of you crazy people bicker about movies, but after watching the 80's Countdown and seeing so many great films not even make the list (Fitzcarraldo and The Last Temptation of Christ were two omissions that I found particularly heartbreaking), I've finally decided to create an account so that I can participate in future countdowns and movie debates. So, you know, hello and how ya' doing and happy to be a registered mofo and all of that.
Hooray for Captain Spaulding. He really is a schnorer.

Welcome!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

As those great people on the first page said, go watch Five Easy Pieces before you even think about starting your list!

I'm hoping that people give Being There a watch. I'm also hoping that those of us that love Cabaret place it high enough that it earns a decent spot on the list.
I second Being There. Peter Sellers is incredible in it. To me it feels like a mix between both Rain Man and Forrest Gump.

A system of cells interlinked
China Syndrome? I watched that a few months ago. I enjoyed Jack Lemmon's performance, but the rest of the film was pretty ham-fisted. Definitely not a classic, and it most certainly wouldn't make a Top 100 for me, let alone Top 25...Dark Star is pretty fun, but doesn't belong on a best off list. I agree on the other two titles, though!

Just out of curiousity, have you seen all the movies on my top 25, Holden?
There is a filmmaker (or pair) that you have more than one title from: I know who they are, but never actually seen their work. Another title, again, I am aware of it but have never seen it. All the others I know, most I own, love bunches of 'em, and some may well overlap with my list.

By the by, I saw this one not too long back, you can find my review HERE. I wouldn't say it's a GOOD film, or even a coherent one...but it is an experience.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I can't remember from the previous lists, what's the company line on TV movies, are they allowed? There's nothing mentioned in the opening post so I guess they are. Assuming they are, allow me to recommend The Night Stalker (1972) and The Night Strangler (1973). Two cracking TV movies that were the main inspiration for The X-Files.

Oh and also has anyone seen the 1971 film The Hospital starring George C. Scott? And if so what was the verdict? Not seen it myself but when I was browsing imdb compiling a list of films to perhaps watch I stumbled across it and thought it sounded quite interesting.

Plague Dogs. I think I cried for three days every time I thought of it.
I perfectly understand your reaction even though I wasn't hit that hard by it, it is a very sharp tragedy, incredible that the creators tried to market that film for children (given the attitudes toward animation in the UK of the 1980's). Would you include it in your top 20-30 I believe (anything that can make such impact on me would fall right into the top spots in my favorites list).

There is a filmmaker (or pair) that you have more than one title from: I know who they are, but never actually seen their work. Another title, again, I am aware of it but have never seen it. All the others I know, most I own, love bunches of 'em, and some may well overlap with my list.
Have you seen all of my list?

Have you seem all of my list?
THIS MUST STOP, GUAP!

----------------------------------------

Anyway, starting my exploration of the decade today with The Jerk! Looking forward to it.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I don't know why exactly, but I feel like you would like Claire's Knee, Cobpyth. In general too, Claire's Knee is a film the forum should watch for this. I think it's among the best of Rohmer's films and will be making my list.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
If TV movies are allowed, there were a crapload of significant ones.
Oh Mark you have such a poetic way with words.

I don't know why exactly, but I feel like you would like Claire's Knee, Cobpyth. In general too, Claire's Knee is a film the forum should watch for this. I think it's among the best of Rohmer's films and will be making my list.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll watch it this week. It seems like something I would enjoy.

For horror buffs, I know Alien and TCM are obvious classic contenders, but may I also recommend a couple others you may love: Salem's Lot (underrated vampire mini-series, the bedroom window scene alone is worth it), and Who Can Kill A Child? (obscure horror masterpiece, recently remade)
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!