The Top 10 Scariest Films Ever Made

Tools    

Normally, all horror movies scare me but I never really understood why, for most people, The Exorcist is the scariest one because I saw it for the first time I think 1 or 2 years ago and it had some creepy scenes but I find a bit over the top at times. Does it have some kind of sentimental value?

For me, The Shining is not the scariest but it has exactly the kind of horror that I like - creepy from the very start to the very end,it also has only a few jump scares but mostly,its creepiness comes from the mood. Despite the paranormal "shining" thing, a man going crazy in a middle of nowhere is pretty realistic and that makes it even scarier.
That's exactly what i just said before you Gabrielle, "For people who first watched it when they were anything but a young child, i wouldn't be surprised if you found it funny or boring, which is usually the current reaction for people who don't like it." . You were spot on, i don't know about other people but after watching it as young as i did it still gives me that almost Deja-vu like feeling to how it made me feel the first time. I'm curious how would you rate it just as a film, not a Horror?

I get what your saying about The Shining, it's very subtle with it's Horror elements, and the mood is very eerie. Never was scared by it myself, i think i first watched it at about the same time as The Exorcist. Amazing movie though second fav Kubrick for me after A Clockwork Orange.

Yeah,I thought that the fact that many people saw Exorcist when they were little had an impact and they love it now.There's some crappy movies that I love only because I used to watch them repeatedly when I was younger.
I think I gave it a
which is just above average. It's quite an interesting film but it just seemed ridiculous.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Yeah,I thought that the fact that many people saw Exorcist when they were little had an impact and they love it now.

What's most frightening about The Exorcist is that it is based on a true story. Few people know this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...orcism1949.htm

All the big exorcism movies are based on a true story. Never found those films scary anyway, and I'm not even opposed to the idea of that situation being a possibility.

I feel there are more dramas that are scary than horror films. Horror films can build dread. But a film that shows people for the worst that they can be is far more terrifying than a alien with a penis shaped head on an empty ship. I'd be happy to be shown a horror film that's actually scary. Korea is getting there.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Not many films have ever really scared me, but I'd put The Blair Witch Project, Event Horizon, The Conjuring and Sinister as the closest to doing so.

What's most frightening about The Exorcist is that it is based on a true story. Few people know this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...orcism1949.htm
What's even scarier to me is that people still believe in demons and demonic possession and they even use such superstitions to "explain" things like mental illness.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!!! I enjoy reading all these top ten lists!!!

The horror genre has never done anything for me, other than once, when i was about 12 i saw a film called "The Mcphearson tape" supposedly based on a true story, its on youtube i believe, however there's a few different versions of it (the correct one is the one were it cuts away and experts give opinions on it). i didnt sleep for a week when i saw it, still to this day it scares the hell out of me.

my kind of topic haha , my top 10 :
1.The Shining
2.Psycho (1960)
3.The Exorcist
4.Jaws
5.Rosemary's Baby
6.A Nightmare on Elm Street
7.Evil Dead Trilogy
8.Halloween (original)
9.The Thing(original)
10.The Conjuring (James wan best movie)

3.Pinnochio (Disney) - Honestly how did Disney think they could make a childs film, with those terrifying Whale and Donkey scenes and not expect them to grow up to be serial killers ?

The animation of the water in this clip it by far what impressed me the most. It's incredible! Far more impressive than the situation being depicted, in fact, for the time it's special effects were unmatched by any contemporary live action film (much more dynamic looking and impressive than what they were doing in 1940 with live action film).

Specially considering how much labor it must have been involved in animating that: you have to drawn the whole screen again and again, 24 times per second, given it is animated to perfect fluidity (in anime the standard is only 12 frames per second). The labor intensity involved in these early Disney films make me remember the Egyptian pyramids. Absolutely incredible.

My top 10 of films that scared me the most in the relatively recent past (5 years) (in any way)

1 - 2001
2 - Stalker
3 - Serial Experiments Lain (260 minutes long anime series)
4 - Persona
5 - Eraserhead
6 - Psycho
7 - Magnetic Rose
8 - Vertigo
9 - Woman in the Dunes (scared of that woman)
10 - Fanny and Alexander (the parts in the puppeteer house)

(most pretentious horror list ever , but it's true, I swear, I wasn't able to sleep for 24 hours after the first watch of the first 7 movies here)

The Shining was an epic movie. I loved it. One of the best movies made from a book my Steven King!