The MoFo Top 100 of the Seventies

→ in
Tools    

On a side note:

There's a certain film (California Split, 1974 - Robert Altman) I REALLY want to see before submitting this list. The problem is that the version that is being sold on DVD is three minutes shorter than the original version, because of certain music copy rights. I truly want to see it in its original state, though, and I know that version is available on Netflix, but I don't have acces to that site here in Belgium yet...

IF anyone knows how to get acces to the original version of California Split without Netflix, please let me know!

I already made a topic about this earlier, but nobody seemed to be able to help me, as no one responded.

Sorry for asking it again in this thread, but I thought it was kind of related to the topic, so HELP ME, PLEASE!!!

the 70's. time to finally get around to watching some blaxploitation flicks, especially the ones with Pam Grier,

along with a whole bunch of other stuff

Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. That's not '70s! Just practicing my honeykid and Sexy.
And failing miserably.

Absolutely watch Coffy and Foxy Brown.

I like this movie from 1975:

All Ken Russel's 70's films should be considered. However, if you only look at one, make it The Devils.

Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. That's not '70s! Just practicing my honeykid and Sexy.
I don't really complain about whether a film is of the decade or not, just whether it's any good.

Now, everyone go and watch blaxploitation films so they have a better chance of making the list.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Which one?

I watched Plague Dogs in the same day as Only Yesterday. I found Plague Dogs to be significantly powerful but almost insignificant next to my emotional reaction I had to Only Yesterday (I was crushed by it, completely).
Plague Dogs. I think I cried for three days every time I thought of it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I wonder if Holden is going to ignore certain submitted lists to make sure only good films make it this time.

Suspect's Reviews

Sweet. My list could probably be submitted today but I think I'm going to wait like I usually do.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I too hope all of you who haven't submitted a list yet will make time to watch a few classics such as Westworld, Marathon Man, Slaughterhouse-Five and Duel first.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I'd say that's a very plausible goal. These lists are gaining popularity, the site's busier than ever, and I (probably) won't be working quite as much in the background this time, which means I'll probably be able to help by putting up a special notice or two somewhere.

I have eight lists already (including mine). I'm not entering them into the spreadsheet yet, nor really studying them, but it seems to me like there are already two-hundred different movies! Cray-zee and wonderful. Keep 'em coming...though no rush.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

And while on the subject of Coming Home, I will breifly lobby against a movie. I know it won Best Picture and all, but I have never gotten what's so supposedly wonderful or magnificent about Cimino's The Deer Hunter. It's a movie that is so praised, I keep returning to it over and over again, to see if I can figure out what I missed. I watched it in two chunks, overlapping with each other, in the past month or so. It kept popping up on Universal HD, so as I seem to do every few years, I gave it another look.

The performances are all good, no surprise given that cast (though seeing it again, it is stunning to me how often even these great actors are undercut by the editing). Cinematography is nice, much more so the Pennsylvania stuff than the Vietnam parts, but hardly the best looking film of that year or the decade. I understand in historical context that it was one of the first major films to address the war in a serious way. I get all of that, and appreciate the climate in which it was made and released. But as a movie, it doesn't work for me.

Overlong, it meanders over minutiae like the ceremony and reception of the wedding, but then just jumps to Vietnam, seemingly many months into their tour, just as they are captured. I "get" the symbolism of the Russian Roulette metaphor. Believe it or not, I got it when I was ten, the first time I saw it (it ain't exactly subtle or clever). There's certainly zero attempt at realism in any of the Vietnam stuff, either their capture and especially not in Saigon afterwards when the game moves to be one of choice. But unlike Apocalypse Now, it isn't even stylized in any memorable or effective way. It's not a nightmare or a fever dream or a vision of Hell on Earth, it's just sort of not real. There's artifice, but no artistry.

The editing of this movie has always seemed a mess to me, and that continues to today. Out of the context of 1978, I just don't get what the big deal about this movie is supposed to be? By contrast, Hal Ashby's Coming Home, which was released the same year, is incredibly moving and effective and has a point of view that is delivered with art and three amazing central performances. To me, you don't need to know the history of how close Coming Home was made to the end of the war to understand it is a great film, but it seems to me that historical signifigance is ALL The Deer Hunter has going for it.

Tastes vary, of course, and I'm sure a few of you will chime in with exactly what it means to you and why you think it's a first-class film. But for those of you who have it on your shortlist and maybe haven't seen it in decades and are remembering its reputation maybe more than the film itself, I urge you to take another look. I just saw Apocalypse Now on the big screen this past Monday, and for all of that film's flaws and overreaches, you can't deny it is a powerfully made film, and a power that is timeless. But The Deer Hunter...? I don't see it.