The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Will try and have a look but I just fear the time it will take to learn to walk in it

I understand shooty-face, even if I'm more adapt at get-shot-in-face
Titanfall is just about as easy as CoD to pick up and play. There's a pretty good tutorial you'll play before any multiplayer matches and it will give you just about everything you need. With all the minions and fast kill-times, you will definitely get to wear your shooty-face.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yeah hoping so (Or at least hoping it's a kind of CoD-meets-BF-meets-parkour advance). Was talking about the old school Mech game that Seds plays though, MWO. Looks proper involved.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Thief is actually pretty good. I'm only a couple of hours in but the mechanics seem solid as a rock and there's a terrific Steampunk aesthetic.

Unlike Dishonored, the last Splinter Cell game or MGS4 you're only going to get satisfaction playing Thief in a certain way - slowly. In fact, I'd say that the stealth elements (ie, all of the game) are as involved as in the earlier games in the series. The addition of 'Swoop' is nice - It's akin to Dishonored's Blink ability but, fittingly, more organic and gives a great feeling of being able to flit in and out of shadows. The only proper special power Garrett possesses (Focus Mode) is like a less annoying Detective Mode from the Arkham games and you can turn it off if you're an idiot trying to be hardcore.

This ability to tailor the game to your specific wants and needs is where Thief is shining for me right now - The amount of customisation you can do to the HUD and game difficulty is staggering. Was this always the developer's intention or is it an answer to those who feared that the franchise would be 'dumbed down'? No idea, but it's a great system.

I've heard complaints about the plot but I'm not far enough into the story to agree or disagree. I get the feeling that we're not presented with something as polished as Dishonored in that respect, though. It's not going to become a gripe for me unless things get really daft - Gameplay is king here and Thief isn't disappointing.

Colour me pleasantly surprised.

Hey Seds, gave MWO a go. Yep can see the appeal

Bit confused about upgrades tho. Earned some points hanging back with the trainee ranger, just lobbing missiles for assists. Didn't seem to translate into cash for buying a proper starter mech/upgrades tho. Isn't that how it works?

*EDIT* Ah ok I get it. Bit confused about how you assess the various models pre-purchase now, but I'm a way off that anyway

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Grand Theft Auto V. Cause I'm a year behind everyone else. Why did I have to install this on my hard drive though? Fun game.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Someone Who Spoke Too Soon
Colour me pleasantly surprised.
They'll need to patch the awful sound bugs because I don't really feel like playing too much more the way things are - Levels are all over the place, especially those of the npcs. You'll get someone shouting in your left ear, turn your head and no one's there..... The sound's coming from two guards having a conversation 50yds away.

Then you'll get a music cue, usually after you've been discovered, which is far too loud. And goes on far too long.

Immersion-breaking, especially in a late night crouch-em-up.

Grand Theft Auto V. Cause I'm a year behind everyone else. Why did I have to install this on my hard drive though? Fun game.
Because it tries to get round the (comparatively ancient) tech of the 360 and PS3 by caching from the disc and hard drive at the same time.

Don't know if it's been patched but the downloadable copies of the game had major texture pop-in because the game was only reading from one source.

Assassins Creed: Brotherhood

I'm trying to play my way thru the games to catch up with the current game. Kinda terrible though, that I'm already tired of Ezio.....

Think the designers were probably tired of him too. But they had been chained to their desks for about 3yrs solid by that point

---

Due to time limitations I have bailed from the complex world of Mech Warrior Online in favour of the 'non-thinking-child's' favourite... World of Tanks

It is good wholesome World War fun. And not having to turn my brain on is actually a blessing right now

I liked Ezio. He certainly had more about him as the central character in a story driven game than whatshisname from AC3 and the lost Gibb brother from AC4.

Played a bit more Thief last night (finished chapter three) and am still liking it a lot, although am becoming more aware of its foibles. After you've seen them 100 or so times, the unskippable animations when you pilfer stuff start to grate and if you're crouched then jump off a small ledge, the game cancels your crouch and stands you up.

Stealthy!

A system of cells interlinked
Hey Seds, gave MWO a go. Yep can see the appeal

Bit confused about upgrades tho. Earned some points hanging back with the trainee ranger, just lobbing missiles for assists. Didn't seem to translate into cash for buying a proper starter mech/upgrades tho. Isn't that how it works?

*EDIT* Ah ok I get it. Bit confused about how you assess the various models pre-purchase now, but I'm a way off that anyway
Woah!! What is your pilot name? We should run a few rounds together!

My pilot name is Brynstar - add me to friends!

Woah!! What is your pilot name? We should run a few rounds together!

My pilot name is Brynstar - add me to friends!
Cool will do Think I'm down as Golgot, will check. (And hope you're around on Thursdays coz that's the main night I can chatter & chain some gaming).

Plus hell, I could do with some tutoring in this game

Moderately sozzled.
I didn't really like Ezio. Altair is my favourite Assassin's Creed character, closely followed by Edward.

@Sleezy....

Played a bit more Thief last night (finished chapter three) and am still liking it a lot, although am becoming more aware of its foibles. After you've seen them 100 or so times, the unskippable animations when you pilfer stuff start to grate ...

Tatty - do you mod games ever? If so, I imagine there will be a mod for the video animation, unless the engine doesnt support it - you dont recommend the game? I found the original Thief games to be VERY atmospheric - and when I played Deadly Shadow years ago for the first time, I remember being actually scared a few times - complete with clammy hands and a fast heartbeat.

Hopefully this one has that terrifying aspect to getting caught out in the open or in lamplight.....

*looks at 22GB of extra stuff in his Skyrim folder* Yep, I've been known to mod a game or two.

Thief's running on the Unreal 3 engine and I've not got much experience of modding it - Just Wiki'd the list of Unreal 3 games and I can't remember doing anything much more than graphics mods for any that I've played. It's only out a week so I'll give it a while before hitting ModDB or The Nexus (which now covers pretty much every game made, if someone can upload a mod which is acceptable).

If I'd paid full price for Thief I'd be harder on the game than I am, but even then I'd be having fun with it. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to fans of the series - The difficulty aspect is bunk seeing as there are so many options you can configure - because I've yet to come across something which shouldn't be there. It's rough around the edges though, as I've mentioned, and weird for something which has been so long in development - Hopefully that doesn't signal Square getting tired with the developers and telling them to release the game or else. If a studio's desperate to cover its losses we mightn't see the patches the game requires.

I'd say you'll need a pretty good PC to run it well - For giggles I installed it on the old PC (Phenom II/560ti/8GB RAM) and was getting 30fps in the benchmark (EDIT - Tried actually playing the game too and was getting lots of stutters, even indoors) on Very Low settings. That PC can run Sleeping Dogs with the HD Texture pack at 60fps all day long on Med/High settings and my new PC runs Thief at 70+ on Very High. Poorly optimised, but there are a few workarounds to help things out and Unreal games have a lot of performance options hidden from normal view in the ini files.

I bought it for 50% off as a pre-order so discounts are out there. I use IsThereAnyDeal to hunt them down nowadays, it seems the most comprehensive aggregator right now.

And to your final thought: Thief gives you a burst of frankly terrifying techno music if you get caught.

It's not as offputting as it sounds but the levels are far too loud.

The South Park RPG is unlocked and downloading, the redesign is done, the Oscar Chat is done, and I am soooooo ready to chill out and play a laid back, hilarious game like this. It's been such a sprint the last 6 weeks or so. I've been waiting for this exact day on the calendar for weeks. Whew.

It's for real, and it's getting really good reviews. Sounds like it really feels like the show both in terms of writing (I'm pretty sure both creators were heavily involved) and animation (because the animation is of a style where you can pretty much make the game feel like you're actually playing an episode).

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I'm downloading this now but I can't seem to find out when I can actually play it. Everywhere says released today but Steam says it's a preorder.

Any1 know when I can play it here in the UK.

IGN gave it 9/10 so hopefully will be a lot of fun.