Cobpyth's Top 101 Favorite Feature Films

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
What planet are you from?
Yeah, I'm the crazy guy who hasn't seen some of the most popular stuff ever. So sue me.

Although in all honesty, I hadn't seen much critically acclaimed or popular stuff before joining this very site 4 years ago.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Did you see The Empire Strikes Back at the theater, Mark?
Yeah, I saw all the first Star Wars movies in very large theatres on opening day and multiple times, the first one 20 times. Empire was only about 10 times at the theatre.

So, in other words, you pick your favorite movies for other people?
Yes exactly this, why didn't I just type that in the first place!

Or maybe, because my films are different from last time in the first place, and I want to keep my list fun, suspenseful and engaging, I want to keep it a secret until after the countdown. What's the point in posting your top ten when people can just look at your favourite movies.

Yeah, I saw all the first Star Wars movies in very large theatres on opening day and multiple times, the first one 20 times. Empire was only about 10 times at the theatre.
Mark- I had no idea you were such a big Star Wars fan. I knew I liked you for a reason.

I don't need to reiterate how great Empire is, and frankly I am a little disturbed by how low it is on your list.

I am just pretending I don't see the post from the guy who has no interest.

Your list is really good and I can't wait to read the rest. The only ones I have seen on your list is Toy Story 3, Goldfinger, The Maltese Falcon, Notorious, Star Wars V: Empire Strikes Back, The Sting, and The Treasure of Sierra Madre.

70. Reservoir Dogs (1992)

It's time for some more Tarantino. This directorial debut is still one of the most popular and most acclaimed debut features of all time and it's not very hard to see why. The script is amazing, the plot is engaging right until the end, the characters (performed by one of the most badass casts of all time) are beyond awesome and Tarantino directed this film in such a tasteful and cool way, that he immediately earned himself a very solid fanbase (that of course would elevate to a sort of mainstream cult after Pulp Fiction came out 2 years later).

The story is pretty simple. It's about a heist (which we don't see in the actual film) and its unfortunate aftermath. A group of gangsters come together in an empty buidling after the heist escalates into very violent territory. Soon becomes clear that there's a rat amongst them. Everyone becomes paranoid and uncertain and while learning more about the heist's preperation and all the different characters via flash-backs and cool dialogues, the film slowly builds up to a climax, while still being extremely energetic during the whole ride thanks to Tarantino's bold directing.

It's one of the most impressive and entertaining low-budget films out there and it marked the beginning of the career of one of the best filmmakers of our time.

Reservoir Dogs is an indisputable classic that contains some of the most memorable scenes in modern cinematic history.

----------------------------------

Reservoir Dogs is a very impressive debut. I still prefer Pulp, Bastards, Kill Bill, Jackie Brown, and probably even Django to it. Lesser Tarantino is still better than most other films to me. I just love his dialogue and characters so much.

I'm going to watch them again, as it's been so long, but as of this moment, I still maintain that Reservoir Dogs is his best film, with Jackie Brown, possibly, second, and I'm not convinced that Pulp Fiction beats out Death Proof for third.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Reservoir Dogs is great. Tarantino's 3rd best film,behind Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds of course.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Reservoir Dogs is one of the greatest movies ever. Great pick.

Reservoir Dogs is great. Tarantino's 3rd best film,behind Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds of course.
Reservoir Dogs is his second best in my opinion. I didn't like Basterds.

I'm going to watch them again, as it's been so long, but as of this moment, I still maintain that Reservoir Dogs is his best film, with Jackie Brown, possibly, second, and I'm not convinced that Pulp Fiction beats out Death Proof for third.
I know you once loved Pulp Fiction. You should keep that attitude! It's miles better than Death Proof and Jackie Brown, in my opinion, although I like the latter one a lot too.

As I said in my countdown thread which I am pretty sure you saw, Reservoir Dogs was the film that really got me into films, a couple of years ago now, so it will always have special meaning for me. A great film, and one that I desperately need to re watch as it has been too long since I last saw it.

69. Bullets Over Broadway (1994)

Another Woody Allen film!

There are three main reasons why I think this is one of Woody Allen's best films. First of all I think this is one of his funniest films, secondly I really like the twisty dark story and the inventive, absurd, but oddly relatable immoral situations that occur throughout this film, and thirdly, I absolutely ADORE its grim, but stylish atmosphere.
I always felt Allen had a great vision of the earlier ages of the 20th century and this is one of those films in which he absolutely nails it. The sets are wonderful, the music is perfect and the dialogue is witty even for Woody Allen standards.

I also love the performances in this film. John Cusack, Chazz Palminteri and Jennifer Tilly all do a very good job, but it's the always delightful Dianne Wiest that steals the show with an over the top, but comically extremely effective performance as fictitious Broadway star Helen Sinclair! She deservedly won an oscar for her performance.

I think this is a film that is very easy to like for everyone. So even if you're not a Woody Allen fan, I think you will probably enjoy it. It's hilarious, clever, full of dark and absurd surprises, but, like most Woody Allen films, still holds a certain dramatic value throughout all the comical wildness.

Check this out and I GUARANTEE that you'll have a good time. It's criminally underseen these days, but in its time, it was able to gather no less than 7 Oscar nominations! Among Woody fans, it's still considered as one of his best films and I am definitely part of that majority (I rank it even higher than most others).

Don't miss it!

-------------------------------

68. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

This is my third favorite animated film of all time (so you can expect two more). It's a film from the legendary Isao Takahata, who co-founded Studio Ghibli together with his friend Hayao Miyazaki. While the latter one often likes to make exuberant fantasy films full of unique and visually impressive environments, Takahata stays more down to earth with his stories, while still holding a certain delightful spiritual atmosphere. I love how personal, truthful and emotionally touching Takahata makes his stories. For me and for many others, Grave of the Fireflies is his most resonating film.

This film tells a story about war. For me, a war film can be good for several 'reasons'. It can be sharply insightful in terms of war politics, like for example Dr. Strangelove; it can display the deeper psychology of soldiers and other war subjects in a profound manner, like for example Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket; or it can work extremely well on an emotional level, like Schindler's List. This film contains a little bit of all these qualities, but for me, it's the emotional factor that made me fall in love with it. I'm not a person that easily sheds a tear, but this is one of those films that touched me so deeply that I couldn't withhold myself. It's an extremely powerful film.

I'm not the kind of person that condemns every kind of 'macro violence' (in some cases, it's simply inevitable if you want to defend your own people), but that doesn't mean that I can't be touched by a deeply humane story that shows the consequences on a more innocent, microscopic level. It's important to always keep individual suffering in mind when talking war politics. This is one of the best films when it comes to transferring that thought and ideal in an effective and satisfying way.

Grave of the Fireflies is one of the best anti-war films ever made and it uses the medium of animation in a tasteful and emotionally surreal manner that stays with the viewer for a very long time. A fantastic piece of tragically truthful cinema!

-----------------------------------